The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 Lifting a cab (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=819731)

57FleetsideC4 03-19-2021 12:09 PM

Lifting a cab

Hi All, I am almost finished mocking up everything and will be taking it apart to sandblast and do body and paint. My question is taking the cab off. It will be bare no doors or glass. Could I pick it up at the bottom front inside edge of the step? I think I am safe with just in front of the rear body mount. I will be using my 2 post lift. Then I will try to attach my rotisserie to it. Thanks Steve

mongocanfly 03-19-2021 01:48 PM

Re: Lifting a cab

I had mine on and off the frame a couple hundred times using my 2 post lift..
A bare stripped cab is fairly lightweight
Even when it was sitting on the frame I could pick it up from the side by hand..
Mines not a TF but you should be fine

mr48chev 03-19-2021 03:55 PM

There are about as many ways to lift a cab as there are guys doing it

A two post probably gives you more and safer options than most of us have.

Probably a couple of heavy planks or 4x4s though the door openings with or without something to pad the tops of the door openings from the boards is what I'd do.

The way you are thinking should work just as good once I read it though for a second time.

57FleetsideC4 03-19-2021 06:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I don't think I can crush the step when lifting it. It's all new metal. I am overthinking this. I just picked up a 67 442 body (which is heavier) on the rocker pinch welds and it didn't hurt anything. Thank Again Steve

Black_Sheep 03-19-2021 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a T bar with a couple of 2x6's and some steel plate. Easy, it makes lifting the cab a one man job...

MiraclePieCo 03-20-2021 04:34 AM

I did my pickup just like Black Sheep above. But lifting my panel truck body off was a lot more complicated!

57FleetsideC4 03-20-2021 09:01 AM

The cherry picker method would not work for me. I need to slide the rotisserie bars where the picker would be. My 2 post lift is going to work and was just wondering how strong the front step area was. I am convinced it is strong enough to support the shell while connecting the rotisserie. Steve

my56chevytruck 03-20-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 (Post 8896560)
Hi All, I am almost finished mocking up everything and will be taking it apart to sandblast and do body and paint. My question is taking the cab off. It will be bare no doors or glass. Could I pick it up at the bottom front inside edge of the step? I think I am safe with just in front of the rear body mount. I will be using my 2 post lift. Then I will try to attach my rotisserie to it. Thanks Steve

I've taken loads of pictures while working on my 56 but for what ever reason, nothing lifting the cab. I also have a 2 post ROTARY lift and used it to lift off the cab. it'll work just fine. I used my tow straps to wrap around the cab to the lift arms just to be safe. my .02 worth.

_Ogre 03-20-2021 09:24 PM

4 guys and a six pack worked for me :D

Daze57 03-21-2021 01:53 AM

ogre

your lucky sir i had to get the guys whiskey!! after a good lift of the cab ----came good lifts of the libation ------all good !!!

dsraven 03-21-2021 10:27 PM

if you lift from the cab step area, behind the rocker lip, and support it with a length of 2x4 or something like that from front to rear it should be fine. that is assuming the steps, hinge pillars, step support bracket etc are all in good condition. watch for the step reinforcement bar that runs fore to aft on the under side of the step as lifting on that can deform the bar. lifting under the rocker can deform the rocker if not using some sort of weight distribution method like a long 2x4 to span the length.

mick53 03-21-2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 (Post 8896938)
The cherry picker method would not work for me. I need to slide the rotisserie bars where the picker would be. My 2 post lift is going to work and was just wondering how strong the front step area was. I am convinced it is strong enough to support the shell while connecting the rotisserie. Steve

When you get it mounted on the rotisserie can you post some pictures? I need to do it on my 53 and have never used mine.

57FleetsideC4 03-22-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8897616)
if you lift from the cab step area, behind the rocker lip, and support it with a length of 2x4 or something like that from front to rear it should be fine. that is assuming the steps, hinge pillars, step support bracket etc are all in good condition. watch for the step reinforcement bar that runs fore to aft on the under side of the step as lifting on that can deform the bar. lifting under the rocker can deform the rocker if not using some sort of weight distribution method like a long 2x4 to span the length.

Thanks for your input. I have replaced the lower hinge area, floor sections, lower rear fender brkt, front lower filler behind the hinge area, cab step and inner and outer cab corners so should be solid enough. But unfortunately remembered why I wasn't using the 2 post in the first place. My 2 post is in my back shop which is used for storage and maintenance and also has a 10' door. Where I do my restoration work is another shop that only has a 7' door. I am going to be to high I think to mount it on the rotisserie and get it through the front shop 7' door. So got to figure something out. Steve

57FleetsideC4 03-22-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8897632)
When you get it mounted on the rotisserie can you post some pictures? I need to do it on my 53 and have never used mine.

I will post some pics once I get it mounted. My rotisserie has been used for 67-73 oldsmobile 442's and vista cruiser and had to make one mod. on the front mounts to work on this pickup. The good news is I will only be using 2 10' sections of square tubing instead of 4 which should be easier to move around. Steve

mick53 03-22-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 (Post 8897711)
I will post some pics once I get it mounted. My rotisserie has been used for 67-73 oldsmobile 442's and vista cruiser and had to make one mod. on the front mounts to work on this pickup. The good news is I will only be using 2 10' sections of square tubing instead of 4 which should be easier to move around. Steve

Thanks, I think I have 3 sets of mounts but have never used them. I also have extra tubing to make some.

my56chevytruck 04-01-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 (Post 8896560)

I used my 2 post lift multiple times.