The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   how Important is This? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=682561)

Already Gone 09-17-2015 01:31 PM

how Important is This?

1 Attachment(s)
How important is the Air Spacer thing that goes between the Air Cleaner and carb and what does it do? Is there some kind of filter that that is on the bottom part that plugs into the valve cover. Will it hurt anything if I remove the air spacer as I may want to go with an Edelbrock Air Cleaner and valve covers or stock looking dual snorkel air cleaner.

michael bustamante 09-17-2015 01:39 PM

Re: how Important is This?

doesnt it act as a breather? i inagine you could put a breather in the valve cover and bypass that. ans a pvc on the other valve cover

67 chevelle 09-17-2015 02:15 PM

As long as you run a pcv you will be fine , don't cap it off or leaks will follow , and will be significant

tdangle 09-17-2015 02:19 PM

My truck has one and a PVC valve on the other valve cover. I just left it in place and put a chrome 14" open air filter on mine. Lots of clearance under the hood.

Davidf 09-17-2015 02:22 PM

If you get rid of the crankcase vent/spacer, you would replace it with something like this:http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm (crankcase breather filter).

Healthy engines pull air in through this device...but, my engine pushes air out (can you say blow by). Engine still idles great, pulls great, burns a bit of oil (nothing visible while running) so I don't worry about it.

For my truck, the air filter housing will to fit directly on the carb (Qjet) and still clear other engine components.

Already Gone 09-17-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdangle (Post 7311796)
My truck has one and a PVC valve on the other valve cover. I just left it in place and put a chrome 14" open air filter on mine. Lots of clearance under the hood.

So the open element Air Cleaner can sit a top the air spacer like the stock air cleaner, then I can just leave things the way they are. Never thought of that. I want to put the Edelbrock Elite Valve Covers ( to match the air cleaner) on too but have to check and make sure there are enough holes for the PCV Valve, oil fill and the air space breather in them.

leftybass209 09-17-2015 05:44 PM

I'm pretty sure your truck will explode if you don't have that!
:lol:

Seriously though, it's not necessary in that configuration, but your truck needs pcv in some form.

Already Gone 09-17-2015 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftybass209 (Post 7311958)
I'm pretty sure your truck will explode if you don't have that!
:lol:

Seriously though, it's not necessary in that configuration, but your truck needs pcv in some form.

Does it need a PCV on both valve covers because there is a PCV on the drivers side.

michael bustamante 09-17-2015 06:23 PM

no just a pvc on one side and a breather on the other. like one of them chrome mushroom shaped ones they sell in the performance section at o'reillys

leftybass209 09-17-2015 07:02 PM

As stated, just one pcv system is necessary. A breather should be on your opposite valve cover. Since your engine looks fairly stock, you may consider setting up your crankcase ventilation stuff as it was originally, but not necessary.

72MARIO 09-18-2015 11:11 PM

Well in Ontario having that removed and a push in breather is a ministry of environment fine of $350. If you get caught. Its designed to burn off the vapours from the engine.

Already Gone 09-19-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MARIO (Post 7313362)
Well in Ontario having that removed and a push in breather is a ministry of environment fine of $350. If you get caught. Its designed to burn off the vapours from the engine.

Its not problem in fresh air Saskatchewan as we have no emissions testing or mandatory safety checks unless the vehicle has never been registered in Saskatchewan. Whats real nice is anything that is 30 years or older being brought into the Province doesn't require an inspection of any kind.