The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Just picked up this 65 Suburban. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=353227)

Joemomma1 07-14-2009 11:40 PM

Just picked up this 65 Suburban.

It will be on the back burner for now while I finish mine.
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0602.jpg

This will be more of a family project, I say this so I can get them to put in.:lol:. I have never seen this custom trim piece on a suburban, is it original?
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0604.jpg
A custom piece?
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0603.jpg
I found it odd that it has a/c, power brakes and power steering but also has idiot lights.
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0607.jpg
The PO had done alot of work to the interior.
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0608.jpg
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0609.jpg
he also gave me an extra set of side windows and the clam style doors. He was planing on changing it over from the barn style. Has anyone done this conversion? I dont care for the barn style doors either. Thanks.

protrash64 07-14-2009 11:48 PM

Re: Just picked up this 65 Suburban.

:jdp:......I'm speechless. Or is it typeless?:lol: Killer score J/M:metal:

Captainfab 07-14-2009 11:59 PM

That's an awesome score :metal: That's pretty damn straight and looks relatively rust free......and factory A/C, PS and PB. The "Custom" trim below the windows is a factory option. It's not real common but I have seen several. Now the trim piece arounf the fuel filler I've not seen before, however it looks to be factory. I see it has an auto column, what does it have for engine and trans?

alexxwing 07-14-2009 11:59 PM

wow thats a sexy looking truck bro nice find looks in good condition

TopFuel1966 07-14-2009 11:59 PM

Oh you lucky dog.........I'd love to have one of those.

Corts60 07-15-2009 12:26 AM

NICE! That is in great shape and I love the wheels on there for some reason. I never really liked those before, but they look good...

I want a suburban so bad.

ChiefRocka 07-15-2009 12:45 AM

That gas door guard looks similar to the ones used on Impalas....an option.

Nice ride...

neto 07-15-2009 12:50 AM

wow! that's very nice. Did you buy in Fresno?

Joemomma1 07-15-2009 01:10 AM

Sorry, I should have put more info. Its a 350 w/ 700r4 tranny. The front suspension is from an early 80's truck. All new control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, tie rods and ball joints. The early classic 5 lug rear end conversion was put in recently as well. I also have the original auto tranny but I see no reason to go back. There is NO rust in the rockers, floor boards or anywhere I can see. It is surprisingly straight. No dents what so ever on the body. One of the rear doors has some filler thanks to his boat. It also has a hitch reciever. You cant see it too well but there is a chrome piece that runs in the center of the hood with a "S" hood emblem. It looks factory but doubt it is, any info? Also are the rear bumpers on these things the same as the front? It looks close minus the licsense plate holes. A scary moment, when we were pulling it we had to use the freeway and while using the on ramp that had a sharp 180, I seen nuts go flying off. I thought the guy had just left some bolts on top. A few seconds later..slam! Sparks are flying. The wheel had gotten stuck between the well and drum. We jack it up and get it home. The drums are a little scratched but no damage to be concerned about. I also wasnt a fan of flower mags but they've grown on me. I am almost starting to like this a little more than my truck, almost. Any info on these Q's is appericiated, I know nothing of these burbs.

Joemomma1 07-15-2009 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neto (Post 3412857)
wow! that's very nice. Did you buy in Fresno?

Yeah, he said he'd been trying to sell this for over 6 months.

Demmit_Hemmit's 65 07-15-2009 05:43 AM

WOW!.................Great find..............Over the past 20 years I've had several burbans and am pretty familiar with them. Only one of them had the custom trim. Ya gotta love those burbs..........Hemmit

Chevy Fleetside 07-15-2009 09:46 AM

Looks like you can just clean it up a bit and drive it. The paint is faded but a buffing pad might fix that. Nice Burb. I often thought about selling my truck and getting a burb.

Arad68 07-15-2009 09:55 AM

Great Score!

The gas door trim might be factory, but I have seen them on '55 Chevys.

The steering wheel and arm rests are from a 59 to 60 Impala.

Joemomma1 07-15-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside (Post 3413219)
Looks like you can just clean it up a bit and drive it. The paint is faded but a buffing pad might fix that. Nice Burb. I often thought about selling my truck and getting a burb.

Thats the plan. Its defintely road worthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arad68 (Post 3413233)
Great Score!

The gas door trim might be factory, but I have seen them on '55 Chevys.

The steering wheel and arm rests are from a 59 to 60 Impala.

I thought the horn ring was factory to this 65.

Dinos63 07-15-2009 12:01 PM

Duuude very cool ,nice find i dig the wheels

Chevy Fleetside 07-15-2009 12:05 PM

It is a factory steering wheel and horn ring. They came on the Custom Interiror trucks. I think they were left overs from the 59 Impala's. I think they look better in these trucks anyway.. :lol:

joe231 07-15-2009 12:22 PM

I really dig it!!!

if you don't mind me asking....what did you have to give for it?

Joemomma1 07-15-2009 12:54 PM

4'gs. I had no problem putting it up. I hardly seen any of these. Ive seen some crap suburbans going for about the same or more w/ out all the factory options and work that has already been done to it. I would have had to drop a lot more coin than what I did to get it to this point.

joe231 07-15-2009 12:55 PM

hell yeah!!
sounds Like a steal!!

Demmit_Hemmit's 65 07-15-2009 03:57 PM

I just reread your post. You can put the lift gate and hatch on your burb with a small amount of work. You didn't say if you had the upper sliders and lower hindges with your setup. what you'll have to do is replace the rear valance panel with one that has the indents and the holes for the lower hatch hinges. I'll post a picture of mine so you can see what it looks like. other than that all the holes you need should be on yours. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me and I'll try to help you out.........................Like I said. ya gotta love those burbs.......................................Hemmit

wild one 07-15-2009 03:59 PM

WOW! You really lucked out in finding a burb that clean with those options for that price! I've been looking for a 64-66 custom to get the trim pieces off of as well a a donor that had factory in dash A/C for some time now - they are almost impossible to find! Great score, my vote is to fix this one first to get your family involved - that makes it more "fun" for everyone!

Joemomma1 07-15-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demmit_Hemmit's 65 (Post 3413775)
I just reread your post. You can put the lift gate and hatch on your burb with a small amount of work. You didn't say if you had the upper sliders and lower hindges with your setup. what you'll have to do is replace the rear valance panel with one that has the indents and the holes for the lower hatch hinges. I'll post a picture of mine so you can see what it looks like. other than that all the holes you need should be on yours. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me and I'll try to help you out.........................Like I said. ya gotta love those burbs.......................................Hemmit

I do have all the sliders and hinges on the donor tail gate and hatch. I will post pics of what I have. Any pictures you can provide will help. Do you know anything about the rear bumper? Thanks.

Demmit_Hemmit's 65 07-15-2009 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the picture of my lower hinge with indents in the valance panel

Joemomma1 07-15-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild one (Post 3413780)
WOW! You really lucked out in finding a burb that clean with those options for that price! I've been looking for a 64-66 custom to get the trim pieces off of as well a a donor that had factory in dash A/C for some time now - they are almost impossible to find! Great score, my vote is to fix this one first to get your family involved - that makes it more "fun" for everyone!

Their idea of "fun" is not the same as mine. So we shall see. Im going to clean up the paint a little, lower the front and drive as is for now.

joe231 07-15-2009 04:17 PM

I know that KDrodworks on here put a front truck bumper on the rear of his burb......