The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ID this old truck? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772709)

davepl 10-06-2018 01:07 PM

ID this old truck?

Found this picture of my grandfather's brothers. They were born around 1912 or so, lived on the family farm their entire lives, never married, died there. But they owned a green truck! Since I'm no expert and they're standing in front of it, hopefully somoene else can ID it from the side of the grill or similar...

Thanks!
Dave
https://bn1304files.storage.live.com...500&height=397

Ol Blue K20 10-06-2018 01:20 PM

Re: ID this old truck?

I'm not seeing a pic

davepl 10-06-2018 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Weird, I can see it. But it's on OneDrive, I did a Share thing:

Coley 10-06-2018 01:58 PM

Pretty sure that is a early 51-54 GMC advance series...given the grill that is on it and the fact it has vent windows which I think started in '51.

Saskatchewan?....

Coley

geezer#99 10-06-2018 02:09 PM

51 Gotta Mechanic Comin’.

Keith Seymore 10-08-2018 11:09 AM

What are they so mad about?

;)

67ChevyRedneck 10-08-2018 01:28 PM

I don't know all the nuances of those years, but I agree it's definitely a 47-53 GMC.

GOPAPA 10-08-2018 04:43 PM

It has a wing window so it has to be a 51 or newer

special-K 10-08-2018 08:57 PM

It's a '55 first series GMC. Curved one piece windshield and flat bed rails. It would have an open driveshaft with u-joints. First GM truck with those features. They ran a long long time without the need of a mechanic coming.

Coley 10-08-2018 09:08 PM

...good call on the flat bed rails, I forgot about that.
I had a 54' Chev first series and like the GMC's it had the 1 piece front windshield, and yes...the flat bed rails, which were one year only on the early advance series trucks to my recollection as well.
So given the condition of the truck for farm use relative to 1954...i would estimate the pic was taken in the early-mid 70's given. This would make the truck 20 years old-ish in the pic....just guessing and estimating out loud here.
That also takes into consideration that those guys are definitely (at least) in their 60's....which would start to align with being born around 1912 or thereabouts.

Coley

Ol Blue K20 10-08-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8359947)
It's a '55 first series GMC. Curved one piece windshield and flat bed rails. It would have an open driveshaft with u-joints. First GM truck with those features. They ran a long long time without the need of a mechanic coming.

Good eye Tim, I didn't notice the windshield. I didn't know about the bedsides

special-K 10-09-2018 06:19 AM

All this truck talk, but I just want to say I love the picture. So very cool to have. So was this up in Canada, Dave?

Yep, and the driveshaft is a sure give away :lol:. I had a barn fresh '55 Chevy 1st in the early '80s. In fact, I know the guy who has it now who bought it from the friend I sold it to. And he hasn't touched it. No pictures on the computer. I should run up there and get pictures... and try to pry it away from motorcycle Joe. If he still has it. Been 5 or more years.

Coley 10-09-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8360166)
All this truck talk, but I just want to say I love the picture. So very cool to have. So was this up in Canada, Dave?

Yep, and the driveshaft is a sure give away :lol:. I had a barn fresh '55 Chevy 1st in the early '80s. In fact, I know the guy who has it now who bought it from the friend I sold it to. And he hasn't touched it. No pictures on the computer. I should run up there and get pictures... and try to pry it away from motorcycle Joe. If he still has it. Been 5 or more years.

....ahh, the old torque tube driveshaft...I remember that.
I had a '56 324 Olds rocket and (factory) 4 speed hydramatic in mine connected to that torque tube and the original rear.
Definitely moved out off the line well....lol

davepl 10-09-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8360166)

It is, this would have been in the 1990s up in Saskatchewan on the farm. The truck has Farm plates (start with an F) and would run purple gas. That just means it's not got road tax on it, and you're not allowed to use the vehicle in the city with purple gas... it's a weird setup, or was, anyway.

Thaks to all for the help in ID's the truck!

Quote:

What are they so mad about
I dunno, the Great Depression? They aren't two kids that grew up flipping through Reddit and iFunny articles.

rharris 10-09-2018 11:08 AM

Great picture. Should be used for some kind of GMC marketing/advertising. Much cooler than Clint Eastwood's voice on the Dodge commercials a few back.

Coley 10-09-2018 11:46 AM

Here is a possible interesting 'side' to this story Dave....maybe you could provide some more information:

My B.in law lives in Saskatchewan and volunteers at a historical society park which has numerous old buildings, machinery, artifacts, etc, etc...neat place actually.
Well, they were donated/given this 'log cabin' which was moved from its original location on a farm in Saskatchewan and supposedly....was the home for 2 older bachelor brothers who had spent their entire lives on the farm and lived in the log home/cabin.

This might be a coincidence...they might not be the same two bachelor brothers but you never know.

all good
Coley

davepl 10-09-2018 11:49 AM

Cool! I've got to assume that's a coincidence and that there are many sets of brothers who lived out their lives on the family farm... but you never know!

One of the craziest stories is this one of the guy who built a SHIP on his farm and then tried to drag it to the ocean with a team of oxen:

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/t...n-prairie.html

Coley 10-09-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8359552)
What are they so mad about?

;)

...the Roughriders lost the Grey cup, lol.

(...its a Canadian joke...):lol:

Coley

Ol Blue K20 10-09-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8360399)
...the Roughriders lost the Grey cup, lol.

(...its a Canadian joke...):lol:

Coley

:lol:I'm glad you explained that...:lol:

special-K 10-09-2018 07:55 PM

I don't see anger. Looks like a bright sun day, no sunglasses, and it's just the one on the right. I see stern no time for nonsense farmers. My grandparents looked the same way in pictures

FleetsidePaul 10-11-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8360670)
I don't see anger. Looks like a bright sun day, no sunglasses, and it's just the one on the right. I see stern no time for nonsense farmers. My grandparents looked the same way in pictures

My wife looked the same way in our wedding pictures.

I wonder why?

67ChevyRedneck 10-11-2018 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It can't be a 55 first series, can it? The GMC's got the revised Grille just like chevrolet did with the big square pocket in the lower corners in 1954?

It has to be a 1953 or earlier?

davepl 10-11-2018 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't want complicate the works, but being Saskatchewan we did have some off marques like Fargo and Mercury, remember.

Here's another pic, but I can't tell if it's the same truck! This would be my grandpa (brother to the guys in the other pic) and my mom and an uncle.

NOPE different mirror so different truck...

67ChevyRedneck 10-11-2018 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So maybe Canadian trucks kept the "old" grill?

Wouldn't be the first (or last) time GM did that. This was the Mexican and South America Suburban/Tahoe sold from 2003-2007. They got the same facelift the trucks got, while the US versions kept the 99-02 grille.

GM also kept building the S10 unchanged from the 2004 US version in South America until 2012.

special-K 10-11-2018 07:53 PM

You're right about the grille. I was focusing on the windshield, which looked to me to be a one piece curved, and the bed rails, which appeared to be flat. What do you think about those? Either I'm seeing them wrong (not a lot to go on) or the Canadian models kept old front end. In the body style prior to Advance Designs they had Maple Leafs. I had an all original 55 1st Chevy but no 'puter pictures