The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I finally figured out my Shop Truck Logo... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=679839)

67ChevyRedneck 08-19-2015 11:38 AM

I finally figured out my Shop Truck Logo...

1 Attachment(s)
Now I just need to get it cut out...

slowcpe 08-19-2015 01:32 PM

Re: I finally figured out my Shop Truck Logo...

I like it. I really like the phone number idea. When talking with my uncle about putting one of my grandpa's logos on my truck, he was very apprehensive about the phone numbers going on there.

67ChevyRedneck 08-19-2015 01:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a negative of it, everything black will be white with an accent color on the sides.

It looks like it only needs to be about 25-30% bigger... but I freakin' like it.

cooperhw 08-19-2015 01:38 PM

Looks good, but a little too "NEW" for my taste, but then again, not my truck. I really dig the "Old" looking logos. Especially the ones that look like they were hand painted by some old codger.
The old push trucks at the drags and the salt lake racers had some really cool looking logos.:metal:
Not trying to rag on yours at all though cause it does look good.

67ChevyRedneck 08-19-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcpe (Post 7278655)
I like it. I really like the phone number idea. When talking with my uncle about putting one of my grandpa's logos on my truck, he was very apprehensive about the phone numbers going on there.

Thanks!

I'm still stuck on the number. Taylors, SC is where I live. 864 is the correct area code, but I'm not sure if I want "1967" or to more subtle with 864-555-6772?

67ChevyRedneck 08-19-2015 01:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7278660)
Looks good, but a little too "NEW" for my taste, but then again, not my truck. I really dig the "Old" looking logos. Especially the ones that look like they were hand painted by some old codger.
The old push trucks at the drags and the salt lake racers had some really cool looking logos.:metal:
Not trying to rag on yours at all though cause it does look good.

No problem, I've struggled with this for a looooooong time... and it doesn't help my local truck club has some AWESOME shop trucks in it.

I've thought about everything from Texaco, Sunoco, Shell, Sinclair, and especially Esso (big around Clemson - my Alma Mater) service truck, but I kept coming back to wanting something more personal.

What better than a Chevrolet Dealer Service Truck with your name on it?

Also thinking about putting a "No. 67" on the cowl (as in truck number 67) and "Parts, Sales, Service" on the rear fenders.

bruceman1968 08-19-2015 02:01 PM

Great idea! How about a Tag Line?

Where you steal from me!
or
Where you steel from me!
or
Get a steal of a Deal!
or
Our Service Dept. won't hold you up!
or
We have a whole Gang of parts!

slowcpe 08-19-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7278672)

Also thinking about putting a "No. 67" on the cowl (as in truck number 67) and "Parts, Sales, Service" on the rear fenders.

All of my grandpa's trucks had the truck number on the side of the cowl. The last truck he had was 53. My truck will have "54" on the cowl.

67ChevyRedneck 08-19-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceman1968 (Post 7278680)
Great idea! How about a Tag Line?

Where you steal from me!
or
Where you steel from me!
or
Get a steal of a Deal!
or
Our Service Dept. won't hold you up!
or
We have a whole Gang of parts!

In 1969 Chevrolet's actual slogan was "putting you first, keeps us first".

I was thinking about putting that on the tailgate.

cericd 08-19-2015 03:04 PM

I think I might know what cooperhw meant about too "new." It's not the content of your logo but instead the font you chose. A "shop" truck or work truck for that matter would have been hand painted back then and that's what most folks are trying to recreate with the help of a vinyl stencil. Sign painters of the time used a limited number of fonts back then and choosing a font that wouldn't have traditionally been used can certainly take away from the desired vintage vibe.

That's the first thing I thought when I first saw your logo. The CHEVROLET logo is period correct but the cursive font isn't. Also, another thing I often see are door logos that are too small or misaligned. The sign painters that did this back in the day made their living painting lettering for advertisements, signs, logos, etc. They knew exactly how to make best use of the space and what font to use so that the message/brand would be recognized from a distance and/or on a moving vehicle.

The three examples you posted are all done in the traditional style and are well sized and placed.

Just a perspective from a graphic design standpoint.

fartblossom 08-19-2015 03:12 PM

I'm about to do mine on my 69. Going with an old school phone number, FL5-7625. My old number growing up. Without an area code, nobody knows how to dial it anyway, even if they can figure out what the FL (fleetwood) means.

67ChevyRedneck 08-19-2015 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After owning my truck for 18 years, there's very little "correct" left on it. I did try a few more "traditional" fonts, not sure if I like it or not.

I have talked with a friend that has a vinyl printer, we hope to get together this weekend to get the stencils cut out. I could only print an 11x17 copy, it likely needs to be closer to 14x22, 15x23-ish, somewhere around there.

CST10 08-19-2015 04:37 PM

I like the script one myself.

cericd 08-19-2015 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick mock up with limited fonts on my work computer.

Just a thought.

cericd 08-20-2015 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tweaked a bit more.

cericd 08-20-2015 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Color possibility.

67ChevyRedneck 08-20-2015 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After doing some research and with comments from here and facespace, I'm getting closer to something final.

It was suggested the number was too long, etc, so I did research and starting in the 1950's is when the 555 movie nomenclature was used. However, back then phone numbers started with two letters that corresponded to the are then numbers, however for movies, for 555 they used KL5-xxxx, so I'm going to use KL5-1967

Since it's a dealership, a slogan only makes sense, and I really love the one from 1969 (close enough.)

I'll have to put it on the door to see how it looks, but I might bump up the size of the Chevrolet logo too.

special-K 08-20-2015 10:19 AM

Not knocking your truck, but I'd like to respond to the "too new" comments. To be done right, a door logo needs to be hand lettered. That's the only way they were ever done on these trucks, so the only correct way. Any font done with a computer cut stencil is too new.

67ChevyRedneck 08-20-2015 10:36 AM

Don't worry, it will have a "hand lettered look."

I plan on using a brush within the stencils to follow how the lines should have looked, pull the stencils, then hand brush an accent color one side of the letters.

The guys that did (and still do this) have some SERIOUS skills. Some are so good that it looks like they did use stencils. I am NOT that talented. If I tried to do it by hand, I would have better luck letting a 6 year old do it.

bruceman1968 08-20-2015 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
67, I hope you don't mind us making some suggestions. Seems like your open to it. On the phone number, I did some research for my door logo and found that area codes were in play in 67-72 and the 2 letters dropped out in the late 50s to early 60s. Also in 67-72 each state had only one area code for the whole state. I believe SC was 803. I think you have room for the area code and the 2 letters wouldn't be period correct in 67. Here is a mock up I did using western fonts as Jesse James was a western figure. Just a thought, what you have looks great, I'm just throwing this out there.
Attachment 1437562

67ChevyRedneck 08-20-2015 12:09 PM

That's actually pretty damn cool! Just a little to "Texas" for me.

Man... I can't be using that area code... that's for what is now Columbia, SC... that's "Chicken Country." I'm a Clemson grad, I can't be having no chicken scratch area code on my truck! I'll never hear the end of it! :lol:

bruceman1968 08-20-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7279625)
That's actually pretty damn cool! Just a little to "Texas" for me.

Man... I can't be using that area code... that's for what is now Columbia, SC... that's "Chicken Country." I'm a Clemson grad, I can't be having no chicken scratch area code on my truck! I'll never hear the end of it! :lol:

:lol::haha:

Here is a great site for free fonts, just incase you want to see more fonts that you probably have now. http://www.dafont.com/

bruceman1968 08-20-2015 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clemson... Here is a font called Varsity

Attachment 1437573

67ChevyRedneck 08-20-2015 03:15 PM

That one reminds me of a "Collegiate Theme".

What program are you using that stretches the letters in an arch like that?

I do think I might steal the law badge idea for between SC and the Phone #.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceman1968 (Post 7279633)
:lol::haha:

Here is a great site for free fonts, just incase you want to see more fonts that you probably have now. http://www.dafont.com/

No seriously, I love my Tigers (I have tickets to 5 home games this fall) but if they lose, I don't lose my head like most fans. I'm also a fair weather fan... I only have tickets to that many games because they should be really good again this year. If they sucked I'd watch them on TV. But, I do only live 45-50 minutes away, and it's still fun even if they lose.

bruceman1968 08-20-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7279831)

No seriously, I love my Tigers (I have tickets to 5 home games this fall) but if they lose, I don't lose my head like most fans. I'm also a fair weather fan... I only have tickets to that many games because they should be really good again this year. If they sucked I'd watch them on TV. But, I do only live 45-50 minutes away, and it's still fun even if they lose.

I was laughing about the area code chicken country, chicken scratch comments. I of course, didn't know about that, just thought it was funny. I would never laugh about the tigers!
I am using Photoshop to stretch the font.