The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Rocker box pictures (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=337371)

JimmyFloyd 04-05-2009 02:33 PM

Rocker box pictures

I am looking for some pictures of the stock rocker boxes on a 1970 blazer. The PO of my truck was an amature welder, and it looks like he took some liberties to strengthen some spots, and "create" his own panels. I am looking for pictures of the stock ones so I can compare them to mine and decide if I can just remove some of his handiwork, or if I need to get new ones.

FRENCHBLUE72 04-05-2009 07:12 PM

Re: Rocker box pictures

Top or bottom? The bottoms should look like snow sleds..

PHAT TONY 04-06-2009 12:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't know if this gives what you need, but it's what I've got of mine so far.

PHAT TONY 04-06-2009 12:28 AM

The bottom lip you see is the pinch weld(outer to inner), other than that they look like loonngg shoe boxes.

vtblazer 04-06-2009 05:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Phat Tony, good pics but he's looking for rocker box pics, not torsion box pics...at least that's what he asked for anyway.

Jimmyfloyd, show us whatcha got to work with.

Here's a few of a stock outer rocker for ya, if you need or want more just ask but be descriptive.

I have pics of any & all stages from rip-n-tear through install. ;)

litebulblsc 04-06-2009 07:30 AM

vtblazer, the rocker box and torsion box are the same thing.

http://www.gmcpauls.com/pictures/blazerrockerbox.jpg

vtblazer 04-06-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litebulblsc (Post 3241096)
vtblazer, the rocker box and torsion box are the same thing.

You just posted a link to a set of replacement TORSION BOXES.

Don't believe everything you read, if GMC Pauls is calling those parts rocker boxes, they're wrong.

Trust me, I know the difference here and now, so do you.

69-72 04-06-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3241102)
You just posted a link to a set of replacement TORSION BOXES.

Don't believe everything you read, if GMC Pauls is calling those parts rocker boxes, they're wrong.

Trust me, I know the difference here and now, so do you.

Rocker boxes are the same as torsion boxes except that very few people call them torsion boxes, you posted a picture of rocker PANELS.

PHAT TONY 04-06-2009 09:44 AM

I assumed rocker "boxes" were the assembly of inner structure and outer rocker panel.

JimmyFloyd 04-06-2009 11:13 AM

hrm... Mine don't look like that exactly (or not at all) looks like I had a happy home welder working on mine before. Ugh.

Will get pictures later.

RED72blazer 04-06-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHAT TONY (Post 3241237)
I assumed rocker "boxes" were the assembly of inner structure and outer rocker panel.

that what I thought as well.

vtblazer 04-06-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69-72 (Post 3241171)
Rocker boxes are the same as torsion boxes except that very few people call them torsion boxes, you posted a picture of rocker PANELS.

No - no - no ... :no:

There are THREE main pieces that make up the structure that keeps the door openings from sagging when the hard top is removed.

Working from the outside in:
1) Outer rocker
2) Inner rocker
3) Torsion box

ALL different, ALL separate and ALL necessary.

I posted a pic of a replacement pair of TORSION BOXES. :rolleyes:

RED72blazer 04-06-2009 12:35 PM

this thread is confusing.

PHAT TONY 04-06-2009 01:03 PM

I haven't been inside a blazer rocker yet, I'm thinking the outer rocker(same as a truck) has an inner rocker(same as a truck) that is attached to the larger structure(box), yes?

70 Suburban 04-06-2009 01:19 PM

not realy vt laied it out. as per fsm and not some sales ppl at some store. outer and inner. and torsion. if its was a rocker box as a standard part woulnt you think all truck would have them.... hmm somthing to consider.

PHAT TONY 04-06-2009 01:55 PM

No, I wouldn't think a truck would have them, a truck has a roof and rear cab structure to keep the a and b pillars from spreading.

70 Suburban 04-06-2009 02:14 PM

THAT is the point i was making

70 Suburban 04-06-2009 02:34 PM

the outer is the same there are some minor changes on the inner.

drunkbus 04-06-2009 05:04 PM

Who's to say it's not Rocker Panel, Inner Rocker, and Rocker Box.

drunkbus 04-06-2009 05:13 PM

Torsion: the process or condition of twisting or being twisted.

So technically they would be anti-torsion boxes.

Just having some fun, not trying to make anyone mad.

bouncytruck 04-06-2009 05:26 PM

I've heard the terms torsion boxes and rocker boxes used to describe the same thing hear on the board - what VT posted in #7. For instance, WES has the same photo posted on his site and he calls them Rocker Boxes - http://classicheartbeat.com/catalog/...er%20Boxes.htm.

"You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off"

70 Suburban 04-06-2009 05:30 PM

WES can call them what he wats but as for the Factory assembly manual. they are torsion.

special-K 04-06-2009 05:31 PM

C`mon guys,if you don`t know what you are talking about please listen to those that do.Just because you`ve been hearing parts called the wrong name doesn`t mean when you hear the right name it`s wrong.How can anyone help if no one listens?This board was made great and will continue to be by being a friendly place where we all can learn what we don`t know from those that do.If improper terminology goes unchecked it will destroy the point of different names for different items and no one will know what the other is saying.We all have names,right?When we`re in a crowd it helps narrow down who is being addressed by using the proper name.
The unigue to full top K/5s(remember Jimmys?) part who`s purpose is to give reienforcement to compensate for the strength lost when going topless is known as a torsion box.That`s what they are,were,and always will be.
Vtblazer "has" been inside a rocker box and so have I,as well as torsion boxes.I consider them a part of the floor structure (stiffener).They aren`t an outer body piece.A pickup or Blazer can have rotted rocker boxes w/o effecting the structure.Once the torsion boxes get soft your doors start moving.I`ve seen restored K/5s with no torsion boxes.That`s fine as long as the top stays on and minimal body twist.The top will crack in any serious off road action with the t-boxes gone.Some of us can vouche for that.
so,as said above from the outside in:
Outter rocker
Inner rocker
Torsion box

Can we all agree to agree?:cool:

LUV2XCLR8 04-06-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70 Suburban (Post 3241991)
but as for the Factory assembly manual. they are torsion.

:agree:

lks dcvn 04-06-2009 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of the items on a blazer/jimmy

These are all connection and important to the integrity of the body