The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Homemade C-Notch ?s (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=285604)

MotorHead Lon 03-31-2008 02:54 AM

Homemade C-Notch ?s

I have a 90 Silverado that I want to do a 4/6 drop on. I have the stuff to do the front 4". To save some cash and because I have the tools to do it how hard is to make my own C-Notch. If I use the steel pipe cut in half what wall thickness do I need, and will I need to box the frame above the axles. Is the steel pipe method better or should I make the notch more squared off and build it out of pieces of steel plate.

I'm not wanting a bridge notch, just something similar to the bolt in Bell Tech notch but not costing a lot of money. Any help is appreciated.

bedsled71 03-31-2008 05:11 AM

Re: Homemade C-Notch ?s

i would say 1/4 inch thickness, and yes it would be good to box the frame

jlaird 03-31-2008 05:31 AM

to answer your other question, a seamless tube would be stronger.

Shane 03-31-2008 08:32 AM

off the subject here for a minute ... you gonna be at Barber's for the AMA even next month? If so give me a yell by way of PM.

braggwood 03-31-2008 03:41 PM

Pipe or tube will work fine, I used a piece of 4x6 tube and cut the bottom out. I plated the outside of the frame and boxed the inside frame with 3/16inch plate. I used the tube becuase it is what I had but round pipe will work just as well. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks either. Greg

MotorHead Lon 03-31-2008 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Shane PM sent.

danielwetpaint 03-31-2008 05:57 PM

If you will,, would you post pictures as you go? I'm building the same stuff right now,but on an 85. I guess that I should save pictures too as I go. Your pictures will help as we all build. One more thing,,If I do take pics,, is it appropriate to post here (in your simular build) or start a new thread ?

MotorHead Lon 03-31-2008 06:07 PM

I will try to get pics as I go. I'm still not sure wich way I'm going on this. I sent an email to Tim Christian about a bolt in notch by itself. I really dont want to buy a kit. I plan on buying after market axle saddles and making my own shock extenders. I have already spent what my wife considers to much for the front drop, and I havent even bought the shocks yet.

MotorHead Lon 03-31-2008 06:38 PM

I have a piece of 4x6 rectangle tube. If I cut it to 2x6 will that be wide enough and deep enough for my notch.

N2TRUX 04-01-2008 04:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If your only looking for a small notch then pipe or tubing will work just fine. You definitely want to box the inside for added strength.

Shane 04-01-2008 05:25 AM

I've done it both ways and can tell you that the bolt-in type is much more advantageous once all the time is considered. It seems like a lot of dough up front, but it really isn't once you consider your time and the materials used.

MotorHead Lon 04-01-2008 05:40 AM

The quote I got was a little over 300 dollars for a 6" flip kit. C-notch axle saddles and shock extenders.

Saturday I finally got the settlement check for my totaled S-10. I went straight to the bank then SECO Performance and picked up my 2" dropped spindles and 2" dropped springs. Total price $347.75. Got in the van to go home and wife asks me how much did I spend. I still have not heard the end of it. I took her clothes shopping, and got landscape stuff for the house. She is still P.O.d. And tonight the starter quit. So if I spend any more on the truck I'm a dead man. I have to find an inexspensive way to lower the back, I figure I got a welder and some cutting implements it shouldnt be that hard.

I hope she doesnt find out I want some grey center 15x7 and 15x8 American Racing Tourqe Thrust IIs, and I plan on using the rebate check for those. Its just money I get a paycheck every 2 weeks, whats the big deal.