The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

CarolinaHD 10-28-2018 07:35 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

1 Attachment(s)
Got the 67 running and moving! Ran it up and down the driveway a few times and it should make the 10 mile trip to the new house this week.

Slid the rear axle under the 06 to move onto the trailer

Oil change and tire rotation for the Tahoe

Steeveedee 10-28-2018 08:02 PM

Pulled the alternator because the front bearing is noisy. It's been on there for a donkey's years. I couldn't get the rotor out of the front bearing. I'll just get a rebuilt one tomorrow. Turns out that it isn't the original, anyway. I wanted to rebuild it, they're easy (if you can get them apart).

jocko 10-28-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodnRudy (Post 8368421)
I "winterized" Old Red today. Replaced the "mags" with the ralleys and while I had the rear wheels off I replaced the brake shoes and painted the new drums I bought at Auto Zone. I've never liked the drums I got at NAPA, they were not concentric, and causing a pesky vibration. I'll finish buttoning her up tomorrow after the paint on the drums is dry and take her for a test drive.

Phil, what did you paint your drums with? When I looked at the inside of the drums, I thought the blue tape was a reflection off of "highly polished" braking surfaces... Ha. Truck looks sharp!

66clow 10-29-2018 06:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Close to having it in one color. And plan to do it in red and white like this one. But my color choices changes day to day.

elorenzof 11-01-2018 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This past weekend I took of the Engine Crossmember and Installed a new freshly coated Crossmember, Upper and Lower Control Arms, New Steering Stuff ie: tie rods, pitman arm, etc... New Drop Spindles with Disc Brake Conversion kit.

OregonNed 11-01-2018 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my side terminal bolts stripped the battery threads, so I moved wiring up to the top posts with new clamps. In the end, I moved the main cables over to the next smallest set screw opening for a better fit.

FRCvette 11-01-2018 04:42 PM

Just finished changing oil on my 70. I am ready to drive again as soon as rain stops.

morepwr 11-01-2018 05:06 PM

You guys are making me look bad! All I did was drive it to work today!

samkost 11-01-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 8375913)
One of my side terminal bolts stripped the battery threads, so I moved wiring up to the top posts with new clamps. In the end, I moved the main cables over to the next smallest set screw opening for a better fit.

OregonNed,
Those are sharp.
I know they aren't OE but I really might have to get a pair of those top post Battery Terminals.:metal:
Thanks,
Sam:chevy:

elorenzof 11-01-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indychus (Post 8364965)
I rolled it outside for the first time in 8 years and then test fit my headers!

WOW. Just. WOW.

dflarsen77 11-03-2018 04:00 AM

Slowly blasting and epoxy on the body pieces! Hoping to get it in paint by the end of the month!

70STOVEBOLT 11-03-2018 04:02 PM

Removed the right side spindle and drum assembly to make way for the disc brake swap.

elorenzof 11-03-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 8377059)
Removed the right side spindle and drum assembly to make way for the disc brake swap.

I just did that job it went pretty well. What product did you choose to go with?

kcmarkd 11-03-2018 09:33 PM

Today I replaced points, condenser, rotor, and cap. Set dwell angle and timing, then minor carb adjustments. And, even cooler, took it out on a short shake down cruise to the store to verify tuning and recent brake work. Didn't blow up, didn't crash, didn't die on the side of the road, and made it back home!

Oh, and drank a beer or several.

tdangle 11-03-2018 11:54 PM

Replaced the passenger side vent rubber. Went way faster than the drivers side last week. I guess practice makes perfect

70STOVEBOLT 11-04-2018 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elorenzof (Post 8377161)
I just did that job it went pretty well. What product did you choose to go with?

I mixed and matched components that were within my budget. I have around $400 in new stock height spindles, 12” drilled and slotted rotors, bearings and seals, master cylinder, brake hoses, calipers, pads, and prop valve.

kcmarkd 11-04-2018 07:10 PM

Today I got my temp sensor tested, rewired, heat shrinked, and validated that it works!

rpmerf 11-04-2018 09:16 PM

Weekend recap:
Friday:
mounted new tires. Sumitomo Encounter HT 235/85R16 on freshly painted rims.

Saturday:
Had the running board offs for body mounts. Sand blasted and painted rockers and the bottom part of the doors. Drilled holes in running board brackets I welded together. Installed running boards. Set dwell, played with timing. Installed starter heat wrap. Not sure if it was the timing or the heat wrap, but it made an incredible difference.

Sunday:
Installed a new heater core.

A/F gauge seems to be reading leaner than usual. Not sure if I got an exhaust leak, or if it is just because of the fluctuating temperatures.

Bomp 11-04-2018 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to go a different route. Cut the front off.Attachment 1835410

rjs53 11-04-2018 11:30 PM

Got the bed sides and hood painted, then started to so the patina work. I went with original color white, and black epoxy primer under it. I might add a little rust primer but kinda like the black and white look. Haven't decided weather ill put a satin or gloss clear coat.

weq92f 11-04-2018 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Repaired broken negative battery terminal.

After finding all local parts stores had only 4ga replacement cables and most were too short... I needed 32" 2ga, I found a suitable replacement terminal
at the Orielleys parts house along with a 2ga brass lug and a 2ga solder pellet.

Cut the broken terminal off the end of my 2ga cable, used vicegrip plires to hold the lug while the pellet boiled and put my existing 2ga ground wire in. With continued heat, some of the solder wicked into the strands. Covered it all up with a piece of heat shrink wrap and done...

-klb

72freak 11-05-2018 06:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Drove it!

snj8198 11-05-2018 07:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Latched onto my trailer and drug stuff around.
Attachment 1835496

Attachment 1835497

beaterku 11-05-2018 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally have the engine assembled. It's been a long time coming. I've had this motor for 4 years now. Don't want to rush in to these things.

SBE LQ4 re-ringed and new bearings and a fresh hone
TSP 224r cam
LS7 lifters
LS2 timing chain
317 heads milled .030 & CNC'd with stock valves, PAC dual springs, trunion upgrade and hardened pushrods

RodnRudy 11-05-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8373485)
Phil, what did you paint your drums with? When I looked at the inside of the drums, I thought the blue tape was a reflection off of "highly polished" braking surfaces... Ha. Truck looks sharp!

Jocko, sorry for the slow reply, I don't look around here too regularly. The paint I used is Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black in Satin, also used their Chassis Black Primer. It's a pretty durable epoxy. I had it left over from when I painted my frame. Thanks for the kudos on my truck.