The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Barnfind46 12-09-2018 11:12 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

3 Attachment(s)
Went to summit to pickup a new GM 350 crate engine. My old engine has numerous issues and now it is using oil.

noxqsz 12-10-2018 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Out with the old seat, in with the new (to me) seat, plus a new dash pad, refurbished cluster bezel, and door handle and window crank escutcheons. I'm going to install the new glove box liner as soon as I get my radio fixed and installed.

Barnfind46 12-12-2018 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Readied my new engine for installation.

OldBlue70C10 12-13-2018 05:04 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f7YgUPK1Kv9zrdr77
This wasn't today, it was Monday, but I finally got my grandad's truck moved to my house. But not after it was broken into, and a bunch of new parts stolen. But she's safe in my driveway now. I still haven't gotten this adding photos down, it wasn't showing up, so i just added a link to the photo

nlped 12-13-2018 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here yah go OldBlue70C10

OldBlue70C10 12-13-2018 05:20 PM

Thanks! I appreciate that

Barnfind46 12-16-2018 08:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a little closer to starting it!

kcmarkd 12-16-2018 09:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished redoing the AC box under the hood. The goal was functionality, and to stop being a hostel for furry rodents. Originally, the inboard side of the box had two holes where the original vacuum canister had been mounted. Sometime in the past 50 years, it was forcibly removed, leaving two perfect mouse sized holes. So, took it upon myself to try and repair it by doing fiberglass for the first time ever. Of course, after removing the whole system and getting rid of the old mouse funk...

Before, during, and after:
Attachment 1848045Attachment 1848046Attachment 1848047

This is an AC truck, but the system had been open to the elements for who knows how long, so instead of reinstalling the non-working evaporator, rusty POA and other stuff, I simply plugged the two grommets to try and seal up the case. Also, fiberglassed a metal bar to the inside of the side panel with tapped threads I can remount the replacement vacuum canister.

kcmarkd 12-16-2018 09:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After the AC box was back in, I decided to take a look at the drip rail to see how difficult it would be to remove. Tried to pry a little of the old, dried, separated seam sealer, and before I knew it, I had most of it out. And, I had told my wife that I was going to wait on that job. :lol:

Attachment 1848048

Most of it came out fairly easily, then I attacked it with a wire wheel. Some surface rust, but no holes and no rust through!! :metal:

Attachment 1848049

So, decided to use some rust reformer just to make sure there wasn't something hidden, so masked it all up and shot a coat on it.

Attachment 1848052Attachment 1848051

The goal is to let this cure overnight, then tomorrow evening I am planning to attempt to redo the seam sealer. I have the 3M 8307 for the horizontal section, then 8308 for the vertical sections. Never done seam sealer before, so it should be interesting...

Andy4639 12-16-2018 09:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally got the spot light in. That drilling is a nerve wracker! But it's done and tested. Final wiring will be done sometime this week we ran out of day light.:chevy:

Ken O. 12-16-2018 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All new ball joints and steering arm linkage and an alignment. Drives way better now.

KQQL IT 12-16-2018 11:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Dimmer switch died on the way home.

Transmission mount needed some attention and some quality time spent.

3757chevy 12-18-2018 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Received my replacement heater control levers from LMC Today . I got mine replaced in my '67, I ordered one for my Daughters defrost lever for her '72 and and extra air/fan lever , just because.

Chris_oz 12-18-2018 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fitted new door handles, new hood emblem.

Also got to put registration plates on her.
That felt good, 3 months of it sitting in the driveway, now I can drive it.

Steeveedee 12-18-2018 11:37 PM

Discovered that the kluge fitting setup on one of the aftermarket trans cooler lines is leaking. It goes from 5/16" tube to 1/8" pipe to some other fitting to some other fitting to 3/8" hose. I am looking for a fitting that adapts from 5/16 compression to 3/8 hose in one step. I'm convinced that it exists, I just have to go look for it. Tomorrow morning is soon enough.

RodnRudy 12-22-2018 04:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed a new heater box resistor and blower switch. I've got all three speeds now, was missing the high setting, and installed a new glove box. Didn't have as much luck with the glove box light assembly. The thing fell apart when I tried to put it in. Some of these parts are pretty clunky junky!

el_fantasma 12-23-2018 01:04 PM

Original glove box came with a light?

weq92f 12-23-2018 01:18 PM

I would think if so, it would have been later, like 71/72. LMC lists the part through the entire range though...

-klb

fdbdw 12-23-2018 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New wheel, smaller than my old one, shorter adapter = a little more leg room

RodnRudy 12-23-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_fantasma (Post 8411800)
Original glove box came with a light?

In my sideways glove box pic you can see in the upper left hand corner a hole for the switch, the lite would be on the other end. My 68 didn't have a lite and I've not seen one in any truck but I thought it would be neat. Also my wiring harness has the hot wire for the lite. American Autowire harness by the way.

ApacheNick 12-23-2018 02:57 PM

Killed my transfer case.:whine: Still drives fine in 2 wheel drive but locks up after about 50 feet in 4.

RodnRudy 12-23-2018 06:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well since I love a challenge and I was bored today and pissed about that glove box switch that broke, I decided to see if I could fix it. So I fired up the mig and was able to tack weld the the metal piece back together without melting it. Put it back together, installed it in the glove box, wired it up and Viola I've got a working glove box light! Truck's probably worth a lot more now,LOL

FL71C10 12-23-2018 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished clamping my fuel lines to the frame.

elorenzof 12-26-2018 01:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well this past week i cleaned the cab out including the fuel tank, installed dynamat type product, cut the jute backing for under the carpet and test fit the carpet. still trying to decide if i should put the seats in from a 2013 Silverado i purchasd from LKQ or just the bench seat. problem is i dont have the know how to weld and i need a frame made for the silverado seat as i don't want to drill holes into the cab. The bench seat is perfect i just wanted the silverado seats in it.

elorenzof 12-26-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmarkd (Post 8406811)
After the AC box was back in, I decided to take a look at the drip rail to see how difficult it would be to remove. Tried to pry a little of the old, dried, separated seam sealer, and before I knew it, I had most of it out. And, I had told my wife that I was going to wait on that job. :lol:

Attachment 1848048

Most of it came out fairly easily, then I attacked it with a wire wheel. Some surface rust, but no holes and no rust through!! :metal:

Attachment 1848049

So, decided to use some rust reformer just to make sure there wasn't something hidden, so masked it all up and shot a coat on it.

Attachment 1848052Attachment 1848051

The goal is to let this cure overnight, then tomorrow evening I am planning to attempt to redo the seam sealer. I have the 3M 8307 for the horizontal section, then 8308 for the vertical sections. Never done seam sealer before, so it should be interesting...

i'm interested in how the seam sealer project turned out?