The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is Dawn Soap really so good that it cleans about (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=792092)

GOPAPA 08-19-2019 07:24 AM

Is Dawn Soap really so good that it cleans about

anything and everything?

I wonder? what about othere soaps ,,are they mssing that ingredient that Dawn has to make is so good it cleans everthing ?

I used it to clean up oil from the pavement out front of our house next to the sidewalk where the wifes brothers truck leaked it every time he came to visit ..

After many times lathering the big ol spot ,,it finally started looking like I was winning the battle ..but what really worked the best was let time go by and it now looks pretty good ..

Grumpy old man 08-19-2019 07:42 AM

Re: Is Dawn Soap really so good that it cleans about

They use Dawn to clean oil off of sea birds after an oil spill so that makes it a winner for me . :chevy:

Ol Blue K20 08-19-2019 08:45 AM

I wouldn't say it cleans everything but it does work really good.

special-K 08-19-2019 08:52 AM

I wonder about this also. But Dawn has been my go-yo dish soap for years. I keep it at my utility sink along with Fast Orange. I don't even use the Fast Orange anymore for oily greasy hands. Dawn works way better. I keep a little bottle of it with my house paint supplies to wash brushes. I have a thing about taking care of good brushes and how many years I've kept them nice... like 15-20 years. Dawn makes that easy. What's great is for as good as it cleans it's known for being a mild soap as far as hands go. That's why it keeps my brush bristles subtle. And why it's safe to use on about anything that can get wet

GOPAPA 08-19-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8578480)
They use Dawn to clean oil off of sea birds after an oil spill so that makes it a winner for me . :chevy:

Well, sure ,,I think it is great that cleaned the feathers of the birds ,,and is gentle.. but there are other things besides the birds that I am referring to that I need to clean around the house and garage . which takes more than gentle to get the job done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8578511)
I wouldn't say it cleans everything but it does work really good.

I stated it that way because of advertising of the usages of Dawn soap and social media getting on board with how great it is ..

My question is more to the point of thinking maybe that other soaps clean just as good.. I have used other soaps before to wash my rubber floor mats and I did not see any difference.. and you are right Dawn would of done just as good had I had any at the time.

I have a neighbor up the street that really really likes Dawn detergent, he is the one that told me to use it for the grease spot on the street ,,but afterwards he says he has stocks in the company.. I laughed when he told me that..

special-K 08-19-2019 10:11 AM

I use Purple Power for tougher and Lestoil or Pinesol for the toughest stuff. Then it's lacquer thinner. I don't know why Dawn got to be "the name". I'm sure other dish soaps can do just as well. I just chose Dawn probably because I had a nice girlfriend named Dawn and liked the blue color (never tried the other colors... gimmick I figure). But after using it for other things I was really sold and when I like a product I see no need to keep shopping around. I reward them with my continued business

Boog 08-19-2019 10:48 AM

Dawn works as good as any liquid dish washing soap I’ve ever used. Recently i bought a blueish off brand and it will hardly even make foam. Useless. Tossed it.

shifty 08-19-2019 10:50 AM

I've found brake cleaner works really well for cleaning up oil spots. Hopefully doesn't ruin concrete, I've used it in the garage and on the driveway a lot the last 20yrs and haven't seen degradation. Never found anything that 100% gets rid of it but it's helped to fade oil spots significantly.

I'd always heard the "green" dawn has some magical cleaning properties to it, people swear by it. I didn't see anything special about it.

weq92f 08-19-2019 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dawn is our goto as well around here. But...there's another player...

Greased Lightening.

This stuff is an excellent cleaner too and can get oil stains up off the driveway as well as go into the laundry. That's right.

-klb

67C10Step 08-19-2019 01:19 PM

I'll tell you another thing Dawn is good for: I keep a one gallon pump up sprayer with a Dawn/water solution in it for killing wasps around the house and pool. After getting myself into trouble killing wasps with some carb cleaner that happened to be in a nice boxwood in our landscaping I went looking for an alternative other than the expensive cans of wasp spray.

It will knock them down quick and they are dead within a minute of it hitting them. And you can still use it to clean up your other greasy stuff and have it premixed!

truckster 08-19-2019 01:22 PM

Powdered Tide is really good at cleaning oil spots. But one of the most successful things I've used is just water in a pressure washer.

Willie Makeit 08-19-2019 01:31 PM

NASA has a cleaning spec for flight-hardware that is written around both the original blue Dawn detergent as well as lemon-fresh Joy detergent.

mongocanfly 08-19-2019 02:56 PM

Well it's not working for me.....I set a bottle of dawn in my shop and it didnt clean anything ...shops still a mess..maybe I have the wrong color...haha...

Boog 08-19-2019 03:26 PM

Well didja take the cap off? Doh!!

68C15 08-19-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8578677)
Well it's not working for me.....I set a bottle of dawn in my shop and it didnt clean anything ...shops still a mess..maybe I have the wrong color...haha...

you bought blue. To get any work done you need red

CG 08-19-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8578677)

Well duh, you were supposed to hand the bottle to your wife :lol:

richard2717 08-19-2019 04:28 PM

The only thing I would not recommend using Dawn for is a replacement for the dishwasher soap. Don't ask.....:lol:

Steeveedee 08-19-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 8578747)
The only thing I would not recommend using Dawn for is a replacement for the dishwasher soap. Don't ask.....:lol:

Ha! My youngest son did that once! :lol:

richard2717 08-19-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8578761)
Ha! My youngest son did that once! :lol:

It was almost as bad as my son microwaving one of those cup of soup deals without putting water in the cup.....oh man... i can still smell it. At least with the dawn in the dishwasher the entire kitchen and part of the living room was clean... work free... kinda

shifty 08-19-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8578623)
Greased Lightening.

This stuff is an excellent cleaner too and can get oil stains up off the driveway as well as go into the laundry. That's right.

When my parents were living in FL, someone gave them tickets to some PGA event, so he, mom, my wife and I went to see, stayed for the last hour or so, then left. On the way out, some guy in a box truck was giving away samples of Greased Lightning. It was the end of the day, he was offloading it, handing people boxes of samples. I grabbed one for each of us.

That stuff works! But the one thing I'll tell/warn you, and I would love to know why this happens, but ... I used it to clean a plastic bin, bare-handed. sprayed it in, rubbed it around, I didn't read anything warning not to touch it.
That stuff made my hands smooth and shiny, almost like they were coated with Elmer's glue. Very weird.

blazer2007 08-19-2019 09:14 PM

for oil stains on concrete i found a u tube vid using kitty litter and a brick and grind it into the oil stain.I s working on my 20 yr. oil stain but I will try some Dawn and see if it works better with the grinding of litter and a brick

Steeveedee 08-19-2019 09:48 PM

I don't know what kind of concrete you guys have on your driveways, but if I spill dirty engine oil (for instance) I put the oil absorbing stuff on it and then sweep it up after it soaks awhile. If there is still some oil there, I dump a little more absorbing stuff on and grind it to powder with my shoe and leave it for a bit. It always takes up the oil.

pritch 08-19-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8578480)

I mis-spent some of my youth kicking around the oilpatch, and I ended up on a platform off Huntington Beach for a time. One morning, there was a little sheen of oil drifting away from the rig. Probably no more that a quart of oil all together, but the pusher, he was rightly freaked out about it. He got us to run a couple water cannons at it, then ran to the galley and come back with a case of Dawn. Had us run the Dawn into the streams of water. Said it was the best thing for making that oil sink and disappear, and sure enough, it did just that.

davischevy 08-19-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8578744)
Well duh, you were supposed to hand the bottle to your wife :lol:

CG you must be one brave man. :lol::lol::lol:

mongocanfly 08-20-2019 12:23 AM

maybe that's what I did wrong...
boog ,I didn't take the cap off..
68c15,i bought the blue,,,not red
and CG, I don't have no wife to hand it to..could you send your wife over here with a bottle of red dawn?