The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   am/fm restoration.any referals? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339306)

yote1234 04-16-2009 12:45 AM

am/fm restoration.any referals?

recently bought a am/fm stock radio and it needs a complete restoration.just want it restored completly stock.no "late upgrades"..has anyone had this done? where? whats the price? thanks...

jwmdnm 04-16-2009 04:06 AM

Re: am/fm restoration.any referals?

Check out "bigfoot 0147" on ebay. Two years ago I bought a compleletly reburbished am radio from him which fit my truck perfectly for $50. I am very satisfied.

Hope this helps

Jim

special-K 04-16-2009 05:47 AM

Mike Hagan Antique Auto Radio Repair
235 Glouster rd.
Fairless Hills,PA 19030
(215)547-7145

If you want a stock appearing unit that`s CD/XM/MP3 ready with 180 watts,he`s your man.
He`s one of the best for original,too.

'68OrangeSunshine 04-16-2009 06:54 AM

Sams Photofacts was a publication that listed all the parts and repair instructions for '60s + '70s electronics-- like TVs radios tape players etc. You might check the library to see if they still have them.

70cst 04-16-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Thank You for contacting us.
You did not mention if your radio is AM only or AM/FM. I will include prices for both.
Restoration includes Initial testing of the radio to determine all problems. After testing the unit is disassembled. All Electrolytic capacitors and out of tolerance compents are replaced. The mechanical tuner is cleaned, lubed and aligned. The electrical tuner is aligned. We clean and repaint (as needed) the heat sink, dial mask, dial background and dial pointer. If your label has salvagable labels, they will be removed and reinstalled after the service. If we have reproduction labels available, we will install them. The covers will be cleaned to the best of our abilities. We do not paint covers unless they are in bad shape when they arrive. The radio is tested for minimum of 72 hours before being returned to you with a lifetime warranty.

For the 8 track unit. we again replace all electrolytic capacitors and out of tolerance components. We clean lube and adjust the tape mechanism. Clean the tape head and replace the belts. The unit is also tested for 72 hours and returned with a 2 year warranty. Unfortunately due to the nature of the 8 track (belts stretch, tape heads wear and mechanisms get dirty) we can no tgive lifetime warranties on those units.

Prices are as follows:
AM only radio: $185.00
AM/FM radio: $240.00
If your radio has a separate Stereo unit (Multiplex) that connects to it by a cable- there is an additional $60.00 charge for restoration of that unit.
8 track Unit: $165.00
There will also be a $25.00 charge for S&H.

Replating cases or faceplates is available at additonal charge but will also add to the turn around time.
Current turn around time is 3 weeks from when we receive the radio. We plan to promote the services startign septemeber 1, 2008 on Ebay- If you radio arrives after September 1, it could be 5 weeks due to the ammount of units we usually get in during the promotion.

If you are interested in the services you can package your radio and 8 track and send it to:
Joe's Classic Car Radio
417 Cherry Hill Rd.
Laurens, SC 29360
JOES CLASSICCARRADIO [joesclassiccarradio@yahoo.com]
Here is where I sent my AM/FM and the work was top notch. I was given Joe's name from this site.

yote1234 04-16-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 3260242)
Here is where I sent my AM/FM and the work was top notch. I was given Joe's name from this site.

big thanx...will call them....

badpeanut 04-16-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwmdnm (Post 3260123)
Check out "bigfoot 0147" on ebay. Two years ago I bought a compleletly reburbished am radio from him which fit my truck perfectly for $50. I am very satisfied.

Hope this helps

Jim

Could you elaborate? I can't find any user name similar to this on eBay.

red71c10 04-16-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yote1234 (Post 3260000)
recently bought a am/fm stock radio and it needs a complete restoration.just want it restored completly stock.no "late upgrades"..has anyone had this done? where? whats the price? thanks...

How bad is it? Does it not work? It may not take that much to refurbish it yourself.