The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendors Marketplace (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Camaro Caliper Brackets (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382633)

68GMCCustom 03-12-2010 02:45 PM

Re: Camaro Caliper Brackets

will these also work with c-clip eliminators?

darthwall 03-12-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3765537)
These brackets utilize the '94-'96 Impala/Caprice rotors and the '93-'97 F-body calipers which have a built in e-brake.

The total cost will partly depend on if you can source your caliper cores for less than the core charge when purchasing rebuilt calipers. Tha calipers are your biggest single expense with this conversion. The best price I have found is from CSK/Oreilly's for the loaded calipers they are $127.00 pus a core charge of $31.50

Im assuming that the calipers are the rears off a f body as well as the impala rotors are the rears just trying to get a parts list together here

Captainfab 03-13-2010 01:19 AM

It's been a long time since I've seen a set of c-clip eliminators. IIRC they bolt onto the axle flange on top of the backing plate? They would possibly work if you can get away with about 3/16" less axle spline engagement into your spiders. These brackets bolt on in place of the backing plates. Let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 3856421)
will these also work with c-clip eliminators?

Captainfab 03-13-2010 01:21 AM

That is correct. The rear calipers from '94-'97 F-body and the rear rotors from a '93-'96 Impala/Caprice. I'm working on a parts list for this installation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthwall (Post 3857201)
Im assuming that the calipers are the rears off a f body as well as the impala rotors are the rears just trying to get a parts list together here

darthwall 03-13-2010 02:57 AM

just wanted to make sure they look like nice brackets I went a local yard today and found the front calipers and front brakes looking for the rears but my ? is aren't the camero's like a 4.75 or a4.50 lug

Captainfab 03-13-2010 03:21 AM

Yes the F-bodies are 5 x 4.75. That's why you use the Impala/Caprice rotors which are 5 x 5. The F-body calipers will work with the Impala/Caprice rotors.

darthwall 03-13-2010 03:30 AM

ok I see let me line up my parts and I will take a set of these also do you need to do a different dist block to level everything out

Captainfab 03-13-2010 11:51 PM

If you currently have a disc/drum proportioning valve, I would try it as first. Then if you need to reduce the rear braking bias, then install an adjustable valve in the rear line. Or if you prefer to not do that then you could install a disc/disc proportionining valve from the start. Let me know when you're ready.

BTW whereabouts in Washington are you?

chopper john 03-20-2010 02:50 PM

hey john , thanks for the fast great service. i didnt even think that you had the check yet. all the parts are a+++. i have a few questions. !should i run a disc/disc prop valve ? 2 does it matter what chamber on the master is for front and witch is for rear or does it matter. thanks

Captainfab 03-20-2010 11:28 PM

You can either run a disc/disc prop valve, or just plumb it direct from the MC and plumb in an adjustable prop valve in the rear line. Yes it does matter which line goes where. The ports have two different thread sizes.....I don't remember which one is which size. I'll check and get back to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopper john (Post 3871648)
hey john , thanks for the fast great service. i didnt even think that you had the check yet. all the parts are a+++. i have a few questions. !should i run a disc/disc prop valve ? 2 does it matter what chamber on the master is for front and witch is for rear or does it matter. thanks

Captainfab 03-23-2010 04:22 PM

Sorry I didn't get back sooner....been really busy.

Any way on the Corvette master it looks like the front port which is a 1/2-20 thread is for the front brakes and of course the rear port which is 9/19-18 thread is rear brakes. If you need anything else let me know.

chopper john 03-23-2010 05:19 PM

cool thanks john . im gonna try to install it all this week. and thanks a again for the fast service and beautiful parts

Dizzy 04-01-2010 12:05 AM

PM Sent! Just want to make sure these will work on a 68 with the conversion axles...

Captainfab 04-01-2010 11:07 PM

Yes they will work.

Your brackets are on their way......Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzy (Post 3894156)
PM Sent! Just want to make sure these will work on a 68 with the conversion axles...

TheWraith 04-02-2010 09:52 PM

sorry i spammed the impala bracket post - this is actually what i need. do you know of anyone who has tried this with 89-92 rear f-body brakes? i might try to pioneer it since i have a set of them sitting in my garage unused.

Captainfab 04-03-2010 01:11 AM

I used to make brackets that used the GM metric calipers (the '85-'92 rear calipers fall into that catagory) and the Lincoln rotors on the 10 and 12 bolt truck rear differentials. I have since sold out of those brackets, but I do plan on developing a new and improved design in the not to distant future. The original design can be seen HERE

Right now I'm working on a new rear disc conversion. The thread can be seen HERE

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWraith (Post 3897526)
sorry i spammed the impala bracket post - this is actually what i need. do you know of anyone who has tried this with 89-92 rear f-body brakes? i might try to pioneer it since i have a set of them sitting in my garage unused.

TheWraith 04-03-2010 09:06 AM

captainfab, the f-bodies used the iron calipers you referred to 84-88 only. 89-92 uses the aluminum pbr calipers, same as the 93-97, i just don't know if there's any variation on the mounting or anything.

i think i'll take my chances, and i'll let you know the outcome. do you still have sets of these 93-97 brackets available? i'll paypal today.

Thanks

bigarmzz 04-03-2010 09:03 PM

Captfab, i just bought a set of your impala SS brackets, got em a few days ago, they look fantastic!

just curious, can i use camaro calipers as well with those impala ss rotors? or do i need to use the impala calipers?

thanks alot

Captainfab 04-03-2010 11:33 PM

I'm afraid you'll have to use the Impala SS/Caprice calipers with those brackets since they mount a little differently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigarmzz (Post 3899067)
Captfab, i just bought a set of your impala SS brackets, got em a few days ago, they look fantastic!

just curious, can i use camaro calipers as well with those impala ss rotors? or do i need to use the impala calipers?

thanks alot

Captainfab 04-03-2010 11:39 PM

I didn't realize that the '89-'92's were different from the '84-'88's......too many parts groups to keep straight :o

I did some searching and could only find pictures and no dimensions. In the pics I found they look very much the same so I don't know just what the difference is in them. The mounting holes in these brackets for the caliper bracket is 3.820" center to center.

I don't have a set of these brackets right now, but I will be ordering some on Monday, and I should have them by Tuesday. Let me know if that'll work for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWraith (Post 3898214)
captainfab, the f-bodies used the iron calipers you referred to 84-88 only. 89-92 uses the aluminum pbr calipers, same as the 93-97, i just don't know if there's any variation on the mounting or anything.

i think i'll take my chances, and i'll let you know the outcome. do you still have sets of these 93-97 brackets available? i'll paypal today.

Thanks

TheWraith 04-04-2010 08:53 AM

i will definitely take a set of them. i have a set of the calipers, so i'll measure them out. i'll paypal in the next 24 hours.

Captainfab 04-04-2010 09:45 PM

Your PayPal payment has been received. I will get those parts ordered first thing in the morning. I'll let you know when they ship. It should be Tuesday if my supplier is still on their regular schedule.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWraith (Post 3899842)
i will definitely take a set of them. i have a set of the calipers, so i'll measure them out. i'll paypal in the next 24 hours.

AusTx68 04-05-2010 10:53 PM

Captainfab,
Will this upgrade change the stock backspace clearance? I'm shopping for wheels and was looking at rear 20x10 with 5.25 backspacing ala Foose Nitrous.

Captainfab 04-06-2010 12:12 AM

Bolting on the rotors will only move the wheel out about 1/8-3/16"

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusTx68 (Post 3903210)
Captainfab,
Will this upgrade change the stock backspace clearance? I'm shopping for wheels and was looking at rear 20x10 with 5.25 backspacing ala Foose Nitrous.

STLowburban 04-07-2010 01:53 PM

Still got these ready. I will order if so. Thanks.