The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 What did you do? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809956)

Phungki 08-01-2020 06:02 PM

What did you do?

Did you keep your heater and vents? Did you weld up everything on the firewall and dash that you didnt want/use/need? Thinking about resale value mostly.
Posted via Mobile Device

mongocanfly 08-01-2020 08:25 PM

Re: What did you do?

Havnt done mine yet ..that's a down the road descion for me...
But
If I go with AC, then I'll be deleting all the vents..
No AC and I'll keep all the vents...
I dont think it would affect value either way...
But I will keep a heater and defroster either way
I would weld up any unused holes also...

DPete 08-02-2020 11:56 AM

Kept vents not heater, never used them tho with AC

_Ogre 08-02-2020 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
if your mostly concerned about resale value... do nothing to your truck, invest no money what so ever in it. leave the decision to modify to restore to the next owner. however if you choose to modify/restore your truck to your choice, do whatever you want to it.

i chose to add ac to my truck and thus eliminated the wing windows and cowl vents. even in if you only drive in the summer, you need a fan to defog the windshield. imo, the cowl vent is the main culprit of rust in our trucks, cowl (under dash), hinge pockets and front cab corner rust all from this area. pine needles and leaves get washed down the cowl vent and don't drain out. pull the vent door out and feel on top of the water baffle. shaving the cowl also opens up the vent area for kick speakers

Black_Sheep 08-02-2020 02:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The front speakers are fitted to the vent openings, so they’re no longer operational. I only have a heater, which is a must in Minnesota’s early and late season weather. My heater is a universal unit from Summit Racing, plumbed to the defrost vents with additional vents below the dash for cab heat.

mr48chev 08-02-2020 02:22 PM

Unless you are actually building trucks on speculation to sell worrying about resale value because of mods either reduced or enhanced is a waste of time and you would be better off to invest the money in something with a known return.

Outside vents such as the top of the cowl vent, fresh air louvers for the heater and even the side cowl vent on 47/50 don't seem to change the value of a truck one way or the other except with the guys who are hung up on what they call "the original look". Just as many guys don't like the vents as those who do.

Some of the "I only drive it when there are no clouds in the sky and the temp is between 60 and 80" guys might argue against a heater but if you actually do some serous long distance trips even in mid summer it gets cold at night and in the early mornings in the mountains in the west. A heater is pretty nice then even if you change from heat in a two or three hour period while on the road.

Thinking about it a bit what I have seen kill resale value on these trucks is too much personalization such as murals that are far too connected to the owner who had it painted, Off the wall customizing such as square head lights or tail lights that just flat don't jive with the truck. Off the wall paint colors or paint schemes can be a big deal killer too. Throw in the wrong upholstery design when an interior was redone. A lot of guys can't think past a strange looking interior.

Phungki 08-03-2020 12:45 PM

Ok so i guess i will keep the heater and vents and weld up everything else.
Thanks everyone. As usual you all make pretty good sense
Posted via Mobile Device

57tailgater 08-04-2020 10:57 AM

Do you have a deluxe heater? If so, they have a door which opens up and lets the fresh air in from the cowl. There's a separate opening for that. If not, it just recirculates air inside the cab.

Phungki 08-04-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57tailgater (Post 8786941)
Do you have a deluxe heater? If so, they have a door which opens up and lets the fresh air in from the cowl. There's a separate opening for that. If not, it just recirculates air inside the cab.

Yes i have the Delux heater
Posted via Mobile Device

Phungki 08-04-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8785948)
Unless you are actually building trucks on speculation to sell worrying about resale value because of mods either reduced or enhanced is a waste of time and you would be better off to invest the money in something with a known return.

Outside vents such as the top of the cowl vent, fresh air louvers for the heater and even the side cowl vent on 47/50 don't seem to change the value of a truck one way or the other except with the guys who are hung up on what they call "the original look". Just as many guys don't like the vents as those who do.

Some of the "I only drive it when there are no clouds in the sky and the temp is between 60 and 80" guys might argue against a heater but if you actually do some serous long distance trips even in mid summer it gets cold at night and in the early mornings in the mountains in the west. A heater is pretty nice then even if you change from heat in a two or three hour period while on the road.

Thinking about it a bit what I have seen kill resale value on these trucks is too much personalization such as murals that are far too connected to the owner who had it painted, Off the wall customizing such as square head lights or tail lights that just flat don't jive with the truck. Off the wall paint colors or paint schemes can be a big deal killer too. Throw in the wrong upholstery design when an interior was redone. A lot of guys can't think past a strange looking interior.

Well i dont plan in doing anything crazy such as murals or even changing the interior much. Ill use an original seat i found on Craigslist that is rip free. I was just wondering if the heater/vent was really desired un these type of trucks. I cant imagine too many ppl use them as their DD. I know i wont be while i have it
Posted via Mobile Device

_Ogre 08-04-2020 12:21 PM

good looking truck black sheep :D

Black_Sheep 08-04-2020 11:17 PM

Thanks Ogre

Russell Ashley 08-05-2020 04:09 PM

I have a/c in my truck but I kept the vents too. Some times, depending on the temperature and my mood I drive with the vents open and my arm resting on the door like the old days. Either way, do what you like, these trucks are plentiful so not likely to become extremely valuable stock or customized. Most every mod you make will turn some people off while some will like it so do what you like to it. If you aren't careful about what you spend on it you will loose money when you sell it anyway.