The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   327 Not Breathing Right?!?! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=483096)

Slick67 09-05-2011 11:09 PM

327 Not Breathing Right?!?!

3 Attachment(s)
I need some of you breather gurus to check this out for me. The oilfiller cap popped off from the crankcase pressure. It WAS routed to the PVC on the manifold, but now I know that was incorrect. I realize that the PVC needs to be replaced with a 90 fitting to the brake booster, but where can I get enough vacuum with no holes in the valve covers???? The engine is a fresh engine that has not been broke in yet so this also adds to the equation. Longhorn Man, chime in!!!
Attachment 796953

Attachment 796954

Attachment 796955

chev-obsession 09-05-2011 11:36 PM

Re: 327 Not Breathing Right?!?!

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/SAM_1340.jpg

Where i drew the arrow, there is a 1.375" hole that used to have an old drain pipe connected to it, (it is now clearly capped off, and very common on old blocks). And you have valve covers with no holes for a breather or a PCV, but you do have a breather on the front of the intake.

So it looks to me like you need to either put the old drain pipe back on, or get some valve covers with holes for a breather and PCV

AustinScott 09-05-2011 11:40 PM

either one of the "large" ports at the base of the carb should be fine.

my 327 has ALOT of crankcase pressure aka "blowby" so I have to run 2 PCV valves into my carb,
one on the front port and one on the back port.
If I don't I get oil out of the breather on the valve cover, even with baffled ports.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S3...0/DSCF0388.JPG

Slick67 09-06-2011 01:37 AM

I could not find any indication that there was a hole on the back of the block. My goal is to keep the valve covers clean, but not at the expense of issues with the engine running properly. If I run the hose from the breather cap to the PCV in the manifold and another Tee'd off to the carb base plate would that be an option?

406 Q-ship 09-06-2011 02:38 AM

There has to be points for crankcase venting to work. Your set up there is really only one. In the original set up for an early 265/283/327 the hole back by the distributor is where the "road draft tube" would go and on the later PCV vehicles it would have an oil seperator that had a hose run to the air cleaner. The PCV valve screwed into the oil fill tube on the front with a non-vented oil cap. Look at the way the later valve cover systems work, one side is fresh air pull from the air cleaner (or filter air) and the other side is has the PCV valve placed in the valve cover and the hose attached to a full manifold vacuum source. You need a place for filter air to replace the fumes being pulled by the PCV system or your going to have oil leak problems in after awhile.

rsavage 09-06-2011 07:49 AM

Where you have the arrow, there should be a hole in the block for a special fitting that a hose attached to for pc valve to carb base. I have one that I'll take a photo of later this morning. There was also a canister that bolted inside the lifter gallery which kept oil from being sucked up from the gallery.

Slick67 09-06-2011 09:59 AM

So without the road draft tube the only other option is to ventilate the valve covers and run the vacuum lines as usual?

Livrat 09-06-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick67 (Post 4884472)
So without the road draft tube the only other option is to ventilate the valve covers and run the vacuum lines as usual?

Correct...

rsavage 09-06-2011 11:12 AM

Here's what I was talking about. Someone must have put an inch and a quarter freeze plug in your block where this went?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...t/CIMG2970.jpg

Slick67 09-06-2011 11:15 AM

One of these on the back end of each valve cover should cure my issue. And will look pretty slick while maintaining the integrity of the factory script valve covers that I am running. The hole should be drilled as high as possible on the vc's to allow for inertia oil movement upon acceleration.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-440332/

Slick67 09-06-2011 11:19 AM

Kinda strange, but there is absolutely no signs of the block even being machined in that area from the factory. The casting numbers show it is a 1966 Corvette block so it may have never had one to begin with.

Slick67 09-06-2011 11:26 AM

Another thought, how much oil accumulates in the valve covers that could possible slosh to the rear inside valve cover? I do not see it being enough to cause any issues, but I could be wrong!!! It is not a race truck so no huge takeoffs from the line, just a weekend driver show truck.

Hubscrub 09-06-2011 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic of the back of the block with the thingy in it:lol: and check out this threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366853

chevykevy 09-07-2011 07:33 AM

Check out PMC valve covers. They look like the old school chevrolet but have holes in the side so you can vent and use a pcv valve. They are cast aluminum with the chevrolet script.

Slick67 09-07-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubscrub (Post 4885874)
here is a pic of the back of the block with the thingy in it:lol: and check out this threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366853

This is toooo cool and I would not mind that at all...........but, I don't have the hole for the thingy in my block. The block is solid there and has not been filled in. I actually found that thread while researching this problem and wanted to look at it again...Thanks!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevykevy (Post 4886264)
Check out PMC valve covers. They look like the old school chevrolet but have holes in the side so you can vent and use a pcv valve. They are cast aluminum with the chevrolet script.

Couldn't find the PMC valve covers, do you have a url? They sound cool and I would like to check into them.

Slick67 09-07-2011 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I gotta keep these valve covers if I can simply because I think they just look super cool. I hate to drill in the back of them, but it is for the greater good of the engine.
Attachment 797762

NGN 09-07-2011 10:00 PM

I thought the set-up in the pic that 'rsavage' showed were used up to 1967 on 283 & 327, so why would a 1966 motor not have the hole unless there was something different with the Corvette motors like, maybe it was once a fuel injection factory set-up. But that's now going way out of my league.

Slick67 09-08-2011 12:35 AM

Way outta my league too. In the end if the engine breaths right I'll be happy. I have some valve covers with holes in them so I am going to try those on to see if it makes a huge difference. It should. I will post pics of what I am trying before I tap holes into the valve covers I am using.

77chris03 09-08-2011 04:55 AM

:lol:try some nasal strips.....that should get her breathin right....haha:lol:

Slick67 09-13-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77chris03 (Post 4888078)
:lol:try some nasal strips.....that should get her breathin right....haha:lol:

Funny guy huh! She sounds alot better than she did. Routed the oil filler to the carb, the power booster to the manifold and the trans to the front of the carb on the small tube. It seems to be fine now, we'll see after I run it a little bit.

Hubscrub 09-13-2011 10:20 PM

i hope it works out i love the look of those valve covers on it :metal:

Slick67 09-13-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubscrub (Post 4898286)
i hope it works out i love the look of those valve covers on it :metal:

Thanks dude! I think they look right at home on it too. No holes is even better.

fleetsidelarry 09-18-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick67 (Post 4898271)
Routed the oil filler to the carb, the power booster to the manifold and the trans to the front of the carb on the small tube. It seems to be fine now, we'll see after I run it a little bit.

Slick67, love that engine, it is sharp!

I'm a little confused, unless I'm reading the above wrong, you ran the filler tube cap to one of the large carb "vacuum" sources and swapped the booster to the manifold source. also you're now running the tranny off one of the smaller carb sources.

If that's the case, as far as your crankcase ventilation goes, I don't see where you changed anything. And if you now have the tranny hooked to the passenger side port on the front of the carb it is no longer getting a vacuum signal at idle.

it appears to me you are still pulling a low pressure on the crankcase with no cross ventilation.

Sorry, I may be missing something

Slick67 09-18-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry (Post 4905310)
Slick67, love that engine, it is sharp!

I'm a little confused, unless I'm reading the above wrong, you ran the filler tube cap to one of the large carb "vacuum" sources and swapped the booster to the manifold source. also you're now running the tranny off one of the smaller carb sources.

If that's the case, as far as your crankcase ventilation goes, I don't see where you changed anything. And if you now have the tranny hooked to the passenger side port on the front of the carb it is no longer getting a vacuum signal at idle.

it appears to me you are still pulling a low pressure on the crankcase with no cross ventilation.

Sorry, I may be missing something

Thanks! The trans is going to be hooked to the small driver side tube on the front of the carb. The booster is hooked to the manifold, which is correct according to other vehicles. But I am still questioning the ventilation also. There should be a entrance for fresh air, correct?

cdowns 09-18-2011 10:00 AM

valve covers cool?

without a proper PVC system the old school result was SLUDGE heavy thick and grimey NOT COOL