The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Outer rocker panel replacement issue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=781828)

70sangersean 02-20-2019 12:42 PM

Outer rocker panel replacement issue

So I'm replacing my outer pass. side rocker and the issue I am having is when I line up the rocker edge with the door edge in the front, so its flush, I end up with a big gap between side of the front pillar and the rocker where it needs to be plug welded. I have my door aligned about as good as you can get with these trucks. If I push the front of the door in anymore it will not be flush with the cowl. I,ve tried two different rocker, one fitting in there better than the other, but both have the same issue. I didn't pay attention to how the original fit, but it had at least a half inch of bondo in it so it probably didnt matter. I know the truck was wrecked in the right front, but retained its original panels (with a fair amount of bondo). The floor, inner rocker, pillar and firewall don't have any visual signs of damage. I've read a lot of threads, and I know I can expect there will be some slicing and tweaking to get them to fit just right. But I haven't read anybody having the issue I have. An 1/8" gap wouldn't concern me but a 3/8" gap doesn't seem right. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sean

rechinca 02-20-2019 12:50 PM

Re: Outer rocker panel replacement issue

Sounds like she may have tweaked the cab from the wreck. Have taken measurements to see if the cab is still square and have good body mounts? I read some posts that the body mounts need to be in really good condition before doing this as they disintegrate during the years. I know you have it cut apart already, but I would start checking for square (like you said as good as the manufacturing allowed. You may find some issues along the pillars that are causing the issue too.

cornerstone 02-20-2019 03:22 PM

Pictures would help me understand your problem better. I've only replaced 1 set of rockers but I'd be glad to try to assist.

70sangersean 02-20-2019 03:26 PM

Thanks guys. I will try to get some pics up tonight.

57taskforce 02-20-2019 09:12 PM

I had to slice mine up on both ends of both sides to get them to fit the way I wanted. Pics definitely will help us.

Southpaw69 02-20-2019 11:38 PM

I'm interested in seeing pics too. I'm having a similar issue, it'll get figured out one way or another.

70sangersean 02-22-2019 09:35 PM

Trying to figure out how to upload pics. The site says I'm missing a security token ?

70sangersean 02-22-2019 11:38 PM

What's this security token ? Gotta have so many post before you can post pics ?

Southpaw69 02-22-2019 11:55 PM

Try sizing the pictures down. I think that means they're too big. I could be wrong, worth a try though.

718jwh 02-23-2019 11:42 AM

Don’t know if this will help your situation, but I had a lot of trouble getting aftermarket rockers to fit right so I bought NOS rockers and it make a huge difference. The cost is way more but made installation super easy.

70sangersean 02-24-2019 01:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1550984250
The factory didn't do the greatest panel line up. As seen in the last pic.

70sangersean 02-24-2019 08:21 PM

Got some pics up. Any thoughts ?
Thanks

70sangersean 02-26-2019 01:18 PM

One last effort. Anybody ?

Jcfcamaro 02-26-2019 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah they fit like crap. I ordered a set and tried to make them fit and ordered from a different company for one side and it still sucked. Everything you've mention is what I fought. I'm no pro but pretty good with metal and a welder so this is what I did. I cut out the spot welds on both ends trying to get the face of the rocker to match the door assuming the door is aligned but the gage of the metal still wouldn't let me bend it out . So then I used a real thin cut off wheel made by norton and began to cut into the rocker at the first root bend just up from the door if its opened. Made 3in long cuts about 3in apart the whole length of the rocker until I could strong arm it to bend in or out til it would somewhat match the door with it closed. Welding it back is hard because your welding down in bend/root area and grinding the welds take some special tools also. Also bolt your fender on before welding it in because the end of the rocker should match the end of the door that way your gap is the same all the way down the door past the rocker. Both of my rockers needed shortened so yes I cut the whole end off and welded it back on. I highlighted your pictures to help understand where I'm talking about. Also where the rocker meets up to the door seal area I had weird gaps there so I cut some of the root areas and bent them over and welded back in so the door seal lip would mate up better and match up. Actually added metal to a couple of spots. Sounds like alot of work and it was but I'm picky.

70sangersean 02-26-2019 02:32 PM

Thank you Jcfcamaro. I will be checking the cab for square today, which I'm sure it is. I would think there would be a buckle/crinkle in the metal somewhere or other things would be out of whack if it was out of square. I have that same gap on the bottom lip in the front as well. what did you do there ?

Jcfcamaro 02-26-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70sangersean (Post 8475150)
Thank you Jcfcamaro. I will be checking the cab for square today, which I'm sure it is. I would think there would be a buckle/crinkle in the metal somewhere or other things would be out of whack if it was out of square. I have that same gap on the bottom lip in the front as well. what did you do there ?

Not sure I understand what your asking??

70sangersean 02-26-2019 04:07 PM

I'm referring to the lip along the bottom edge of the rocker that gets spot welded to the inner rocker. I have the same gap on the bottom of the rocker in the front as i do on top. if you had a gap on the bottom what did you do to correct it ?

Jcfcamaro 02-26-2019 04:43 PM

I didn't worry about the bottom, just pulled it over to the rocker.

Jcfcamaro 02-27-2019 11:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some pictures

Jcfcamaro 02-27-2019 11:13 AM

1 more

Jcfcamaro 02-27-2019 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more

70sangersean 02-27-2019 12:54 PM

Much appreciated. 👍

Jcfcamaro 02-27-2019 02:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more. Look closely to all the cuts made and the screwdriver to help achieve the correct contour with the door closed. Also with the rocker centered in the door jam the best it would fit the rear of the rocker was too long and not letting the cab corner sit right so I cut it off and shortened it up a hair. Where the screwdriver is you can see some of the cuts I made the whole length of the rocker panel so I could bend it down to help with the door gap.

Jcfcamaro 02-27-2019 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more.

70sangersean 02-28-2019 10:09 AM

Damn. Either my rocker panel fit better then yours or you're way more picky then me. Lol
I got mine plug welded in now just need to fill in and weld where I sliced it. Not perfect but better then factory.