The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Drops and tire alignment issues and wear (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756841)

ericfallon 02-11-2018 11:06 AM

Drops and tire alignment issues and wear

Hello Folks
I plan on dropping my c-10 come spring (70) .
It will be a static drop no air bags , I don't think I can swing the cost for that.
Thinking either 4 " to 5 in the front, with drop spindles (2.5") and 2" drop springs, or maybe 3" drop springs, not sure where either will land.
I have to study some dropped trucks that are 4/6 or5/7 to get an idea on stance.
It will be on 15" wheels.. maybe 18" someday.. but not at first.
With a 2" or 3" drop spring does the alignment and tire wear go way up? I think I remember that the drop spindles don't, but springs can cause issues.
is 3" to much?
Figure I'll drop the front get it where I want it then figure out the rear.
At what point do you need the notch over the axle?
Thanks for any info or guidance with this..
Eric

Mike C 02-11-2018 03:05 PM

Re: Drops and tire alignment issues and wear

Problems seem to start with the 3" spring. I have 2" springs and 2 1/2" spindles on the front of mine and it drives great, steers great and has no tire wear issues.

hewittca 02-11-2018 06:36 PM

My truck currently has 4" front springs and 5" rear springs (plus a 2.5" stepped frame). Eventually I will add 2.5" spindles and 2" blocks. In regards to tire wear, you will definitely need an alignment with drop springs. Even with my 4" springs though, I was able to get the alignment in spec. One thing to note is that if you go to 3 or 4" springs up front, you will probably need the shock relocation bracket or else your shocks will bottom out. You will also have to cut down your bump stop. In the rear with my 5" springs I have 2" of travel. So far I have not bottomed out but a notch would be wise (which I will eventually do). You will also need the shock relocation brackets out back if you go this low. You may even need to adjust your pinion angle. Most don't but it does happen and if you pick up a vibration you know it's most likely this. That's what happened on mine. Lastly, an adjustable track bar would be a good idea too because the rear will shift over a bit being that low. The stock bar is pretty small and non adjustable.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4665/...014d19ce_c.jpg

71cheyennesuperlongb 02-11-2018 09:59 PM

I did 2 1/2 ece spindles and 1 1/2 ece springs up front.I wanted 2 inch springs but the tech guy I spoke with asked,Are you going to drive it.If so I recommend 1 1/2 so it wont bottom out.He was right.Cut my bumpstops in half and it does drive great. I have to really drive it hard to bottom it out.I swapped rear coils for 2500 lbs bags for 6 inch drop with NO LIMIT shock relocaters and panhard bar.I cant say enough about Robs stuff.He knows what he is talking about.If you lower the rear to where the housing touches the frame you only have 3/4 inch before center section hits the bed floor;less if wooden floor.So unless you raised the bed floor a c-notch wont help much.I need to get 1 1/2 lowering blocks for the rear so I can run a little more air pressure in the rear for a better ride.

CC69Rat 02-11-2018 10:46 PM

2.5" spindles, 2" drop springs. 5" springs in the rear, 1.25" drop blocks plus a pinion shim (maybe another 1/4" hard to say) 255/45/20 on the front, 295/45/20 on the rear. Pics on my build thread.

I'm not a big fan of anything over 2" front drop spring. It makes the spring really short and difficult to get the alignment back in spec. For example, if you go over a hill really fast your spring could come out of the pocket.

Welcome to the board !