The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Converting to hydroboost (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849611)

TimUK 12-31-2023 03:04 PM

Converting to hydroboost

I have a 71 C10, disc, drum with vacuum power assist.
Would like to convert to hydoboost. I was hoping to keep the master and proportioning valve.
Which unit is best? There are so many out there it gets confusing.

Thanks

Tim

LockDoc 12-31-2023 03:34 PM

Re: Converting to hydroboost

-
Here is what I did on my Dually project.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...829820&page=12

Starts with post #284 and goes off and on to about 303.

LockDoc

Richard 01-02-2024 03:03 AM

Purchased a unit from Vanco myself. Came with all the hoses and fittings. Main reason I used them is they have experience porting the hydroboost units for use with a steering ram and high volume pump like I am using (5 gpm). I modified the mounting a bit for a direct fit to firewall without an adapter plate and adjusted the hole for connection of stock push rod to my pedal arm. Do not want any hap hazzard weak aftermarket parts there. Adapting parts may take customization. Mechanical ability is definitely required in many circumstances.
I used a later model (2006) master and adjustable prop valve for my disk/disk setup. 57taskforce used a stock master on his conversion, maybe contact him for some info.

72SB 01-02-2024 02:08 PM

OP, if your motor makes low vacuum, around 12hg, consider going with a 9" dual diaphragm booster. I got the Tuff Stuff one. Brakes are excellent now.

57taskforce 01-04-2024 12:09 PM

My hydroboost is out of an 09 silverado, it uses the factory power steering pump, master cylinder, and proportioning valve.

MikeB 01-05-2024 07:40 PM

Educate me here. Is there a reason for converting to hydroboost on a C10 or even C20 other than low vacuum created by a big cam?

MikeB 01-05-2024 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72SB (Post 9272424)
OP, if your motor makes low vacuum, around 12hg, consider going with a 9" dual diaphragm booster.

Hard to beat a dual 9" booster. 34% more diaphragm area than stock 11". We used to have a member here who sold complete dual 9" kits, but I haven't seen posts by him in a while. Seemed like he used quality components, too.

jeffahart 01-05-2024 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimUK (Post 9271903)
I have a 71 C10, disc, drum with vacuum power assist.
Would like to convert to hydoboost. I was hoping to keep the master and proportioning valve.
Which unit is best? There are so many out there it gets confusing.

Thanks

Tim

If you don't want to do any fabrication you can look at Hydratech.. https://www.hydratechbraking.com

I used everything off a 1986 k3500 diesel, so the master already matched the booster, nothing to fuss with. I did a brake pedal mod and re-drilled the rod mounting hole on the pedal.

The best system is subjective... unless you are talking about a turn key solution.

You have options galore when it comes to choosing Hydroboost components.

Good luck! :chevy:

J

57taskforce 01-05-2024 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 9273358)
Educate me here. Is there a reason for converting to hydroboost on a C10 or even C20 other than low vacuum created by a big cam?

The hydroboost puts out quite a bit more assist than even the best of vaccum boosters. Most late model GM stuff has hydroboost as an option regardless of whether it’s a gas or diesel truck. I used it on mine because with the incoming front dana 60 and plans to run a minimum of 35 inch tires, I wanted to do everything in my power to make sure the brakes weren’t ever going to be a concern.

With stock size tires on it now it will easily lock the tires up on asphalt *if* I tell it too, but at the same time the pedal overall has a better modulating feel to me than the original 3/4 ton vacuum booster ever did.

bdoobie69 01-06-2024 08:29 AM

I used the whole setup out of a 90's astro van. Works great and clears up a lot of space.

MikeB 01-06-2024 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdoobie69 (Post 9273488)
I used the whole setup out of a 90's astro van. Works great and clears up a lot of space.

Gee, I sure would miss my 11" booster and M/C hanging way out into engine compartment. :)

TimUK 01-08-2024 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

The reason for me to go to hydroboost is that I live on a very steep hill with four hairpin turns. They are full lock turns and, even then, one requires two stabs at it. When I leave the house I have to ride the brakes all the way down. They require a lot of pedal pressure but you have the feeling you just could not stop if you really had to. On the regular road, they are fine.

Going up the hill, I just went to positrack as the wet hill could leave you sitting on a turn or sliding back ( happened to two contractors).

Always an adventure!

Tim

1967GMCC20 01-18-2024 11:21 AM

Hydroboost on my 67 BBC. Have it set up like orig 396 from 1968. Brakes work great. I have great vaccum mild cam, but this system works well with pwr steering.

IIGW 01-18-2024 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimUK (Post 9271903)
There are so many out there it gets confusing.

actually there really is one or two 'hydroboost' units.
they just have different mounting plates depending on what they came from, like an astro van or a 85 dually.

I goto the local junk yard on half off day and pick up a few units/hoses for like $40 dolalrs.

Then retro fit them into whatever vehicles. Right now a 78 scout ii, and a 97 s10, and another 1985 s10.

The main issue is altering the brake pedal to get the correct ratio.
many times i will get the entire pedal assemby from a hydroboosted vehicle and then either use the brake pedal or measure the distances from the 'swing to pin' ratio and copy that info.

But to asnwer the qeustion, therye all the same, its just the 'bling bling' thats different.

custom10nut 01-18-2024 06:57 PM

Sub’s for future projects :smoke:

JPnTX 01-19-2024 03:53 PM

You might want to consider an iBooster instead. Cleaner install and enhanced functionality.

Extended Power 01-19-2024 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 9273358)

With some engines, there is absolutely no way of removing the drivers side valve cover with the brake booster in the way. (Even a stock big block with short valve covers.)

My new engine is a tall deck big block, with aftermarket heads, (taller than factory) and stud girdle, which required valve cover spacers on each side, even with tall valve covers.
Even with the hydroboost, the fittings coming out of the hydroboost, which are facing the valve cover, are only 1/4” or so away from each other.

jessemthompson 01-20-2024 11:08 AM

This is probably going to be a springtime project for my truck. Just to clear some space and add some braking power. They tend to make the brakes a bit touchy. It just takes some getting used to