The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Shaved door handles free? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=565758)

Harney Boy 02-12-2013 12:47 PM

Shaved door handles free?

I've been surfin around forums and i've been wanting to shave my door handles but i dont wanna spend all the money on the electric kits, and i hate wires, dead batteries fires and being stranded more than anything. If i had a complete mechanical way to get in, id be happy.

So, with that being said, does anybody have a good way to open the door mechanically? So far, i like the idea of leaving the key lock on the outside of the door and just using the key to get in, and leaving the inside door handle. The key shouldnt break because all kinds of cars use a key to open the trunk.

But now, is there a good way to make a door "popper" to assist the door to open when i turn the key in the lock? I've heard of a valve spring in the door sill but do i mount it at the back of the door or in the door jam at the front?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

king-918 02-12-2013 01:19 PM

Re: Shaved door handles free?

I'm sorry but I have to admit I read the first paragraph but I can tell you that all you have to do is run the line under the fender or under the door and mechanically open the door and you'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device

Harney Boy 02-12-2013 01:29 PM

But that means just anybody could open my door, i like the security of needing my keys to open the door. I live in FL so there's plenty of yoohoos looking for a free ride. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

MadManAndrew 02-12-2013 01:31 PM

There are a lot of ways. Besides your idea, you could run a cable (like a bicycle brake cable, etc.) through the door jam and to another part of the truck for a manual release. I don't exactly know what it would like if you removed the handle but left the lock...
Posted via Mobile Device

Harney Boy 02-12-2013 01:45 PM

Yeah a fairly long clutch cable for a dirtbike i could try out. Ill have to decide which way to do it, but does anybody know where to mount the valve spring to push the door open?
Posted via Mobile Device

rusty76 02-12-2013 07:31 PM

Something like a door poper? I think these are spring loaded.

Harney Boy 02-12-2013 07:37 PM

I think i can make my own popper with a valve spring, a and a flat washer with a bolt trough it, i just dont know where i should mount it.. yet. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

bdiamond 02-12-2013 08:09 PM

I had a setup that integrated the factory lock into the opener. It was all mechanical. I didn't do it myself, but it was a small S-shaped rod that connected the lock arm to the opener. I think i saw something similar on indestructables the other day. I'll try to find it....

Harney Boy 02-12-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdiamond (Post 5884932)
I had a setup that integrated the factory lock into the opener. It was all mechanical. I didn't do it myself, but it was a small S-shaped rod that connected the lock arm to the opener. I think i saw something similar on indestructables the other day. I'll try to find it....

If you could find that id appreciate it a ton! I got home from work and grabbed a shop light and started turning the key lock and the door handle to figure out what i need. A S shaped rod sounds about right.
Posted via Mobile Device

S10Fan 02-12-2013 09:41 PM

I know you're looking for cheap, but for $230.00 you can get a complete kit from AVS, latches, remotes, everything.

http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.p...cat=527&page=1

andrewmp6 02-13-2013 02:01 AM

The really old way is use a cable hidden in a fender well or under the body.Something like a hood cable or e brake cable should be long enough just depends where you want to mount the pull end.

cory d 02-13-2013 02:29 AM

maybe something under the bed rail. close to the door and hidden

chet 02-13-2013 06:05 PM

the pull cable usually runs through the door jamb and intot he door. Thats why under the rocker or in the front fender was most common. My pops old sled had one in the fender. No key locks or electrics. Pretty sure the door popper was a small 4 stroke valve spring with a rubber bumper on the end. mounted in the back of the door by the latch

jitteryguy 02-14-2013 09:43 AM

I did the lock method to a '65 mustang years ago, it work'd fine for several years for me.

as far as the cheap pop'r look in the junk yard's, alot cars had small pop'rs. I dont think you'll need mine never had one