The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   LMC Radios (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=377027)

bigbadchev72 12-19-2009 01:50 AM

LMC Radios

So I dont want to cut the dash and thumbing through the lmc catalog I seen the aftermarket radios that look "stockish"

Anyone have one? what do you think about it? have pictures of it installed?

special-K 12-19-2009 12:35 PM

Re: LMC Radios

They are Custom Autosound.stereos.They`re an ok radio,IMO.Nothing special.

71meangreenc10 12-19-2009 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If your not looking for anything special, Pepboys has this one for less than 40. Saw it in JC whitney too. Has ipod port, but nothing special.

Smitty

07SSSC 12-19-2009 12:56 PM

I had one in mine, didn't like it, it was cool but just wasnt anything special as said, plus it had no cd or iPod capabilities. I put the original AM radio back in and stuck a modern deck (with remote control) in the glovebox, works and sounds better.

moon 12-19-2009 02:39 PM

This unit is displayed on page 111. The model I have doesnt have a cassette player or built in CD player. I use the aux. mode for XM radio & self recorded mp3 play...

Admittedly not "special" in terms if whistles & bells. But it does everything I need, has the original look I wanted and installed easily.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...ge_install.jpg[/QUOTE]

ChevLoRay 12-19-2009 03:58 PM

I'm probably going to stir up something but I was a dyed-in-the-wool kinda guy who didn't like cutting up a dash. My youngest son wanted a CD player in his '69, so I broke out the Dremel Tool and after some careful measuring, made my cuts. The radio he had bought slid into the hole and the trim plate finished it off. That was in '99.

A couple years back there was a guy on here, Mahanian, who marketed a billet piece that attaches to the dash and really looks good in the pix that were part of his postings. I bought one for my truck, but I'm not at the point that it is time to install.

I said that to say that as much as I'd like to have a factory AM/FM radio, it isn't going to happen. There are so many nice units available that I have swung around to the point that cutting the dash isn't going to be a problem for me.

But, that's the nice thing about our hobby. We all have options and most of the time there's a suitable part to make it work our own way.

moon 12-19-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevLoRay (Post 3683027)
There are so many nice units available that I have swung around to the point that cutting the dash isn't going to be a problem for me.

But, that's the nice thing about our hobby. We all have options and most of the time there's a suitable part to make it work our own way.

Right on.

I won't have a problem with cutting the dash if and when my wants and desires change. There are some mighty trick head units available that temp me deeply… and the P.O has already cut speaker holes in the doors & the upper rear cab corners, so as far as the pure stock look ever happening, I'm hosed.

For now, I have a specific look in mind that is Nuevo stock, all black with chrome accents, which I have been doggedly been pursuing for 14 months now. That Vintage unit is perfect for my current needs

Cant wait to get it finished …. And I'm getting close

Critter 12-19-2009 04:46 PM

The one that Moon posted a pic of (that LMC has sold for years) is pretty decent. I have heard alot of people say they are good considering a 3 hole stereo is is getting impossible to find. I am thinking about using this one from RETRO SOUND. LMC has recently started carrying it as well here.

The thing about these is that they DO NOT have a cassette or of course a CD player. However they do have an auxiliary input along with a USB port. So you can go buy a jump drive for a computer, store a few hundred of your favorite songs on it, and basically use it like a hard drive in your truck. The auxiliary can of course be used for a MP3 player or satellite radio. I haven't bought one yet, but the reviews seam to be pretty good.

bigbadchev72 12-20-2009 01:34 AM

The retro sound USA was the one I was asking about, I dont need Cassettes or cd capability, Those are starting to go the way of the 8 track. A mp3 hook up or flash drive would do me nicely. I have no intrest in cutting the dash no that I have a few hours into rewelding and bodyworking where the po cut it for a cd player.

I also had to patch the 6x9s in the door. I was originally gonna sell it after finishing, But after investing so much time into it and knowing every bolt on it now I think im going to send the 05 tacoma down the road and start to daily drive this. I will enjoy having a radio for dd it. Anyone have any input on the dash mounted speaker? Im not looking for jaw dropping great sound, but something that I can crank up and hear.

BIG10 12-20-2009 04:04 AM

Are the "Highliner" headliners available for 67-72's? I have one in my 78 with a cd player and four speakers all mounted overhead. I still have the 8 track and cb in the factory location. Just a thought.

Critter 12-20-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG10 (Post 3683889)
Are the "Highliner" headliners available for 67-72's? I have one in my 78 with a cd player and four speakers all mounted overhead. I still have the 8 track and cb in the factory location. Just a thought.

They are available for 67-72 trucks but that won't do a lot of good on a Blazer top that is fully removable.

Some of the Camaro guys are using the Retro Sound here.

rddaves54 12-20-2009 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought one from “bcclassicandperformance” and it is great fit great and easy to install. It sound pretty good with my little speaker.

67-68-69-70-72 CHEVY TRUCK RADIO,AM FM I POD MP3 200W

bcclassicandperformance (e-bay sight)