The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moog Pitman Arm - is it supposed to have a rubber boot? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766276)

beaterku 06-24-2018 10:06 PM

Moog Pitman Arm - is it supposed to have a rubber boot?

1 Attachment(s)
Evening all, I was installing a new Moog pitman arm on my project tonight. Is this supposed to have a rubber boot? The parts bag came with a foam washer as shown in the picture. The arm I removed from the truck did not have a boot or washer between the arm and drag link.

Thanks all!

toolboxchev 06-24-2018 11:43 PM

Re: Moog Pitman Arm - is it supposed to have a rubber boot?

I picked up a Parts Master unit recently and it had the same crappy foam thingy in it. It is now blown out.

Never was happy with that thing from the beginning.

beaterku 06-25-2018 10:44 AM

I did some digging and it looks like they all come with the foam washer. I wish it had the rubber boot like the idler arm does.

Appreciate your insight!

CastIron 06-25-2018 01:43 PM

I saw this late last night and did a little checking myself. My truck isn't at my house, but I have a lot of pictures of everything on it saved on my pc. I replaced my steering parts when I added power steering about 16 or 17 years ago. I'm not 100% sure from the picture, but it looks like mine has a a foam seal on the pitman and a boot on the idler. If it is foam, it's lasted a long time already. I'll check next chance I get.
I looked at the pictures on Rockauto and found the same thing. I also checked pitman and idler arms for my newer blazer and found they also come with foam rings. I guess it they do fail, it's not that hard to pop the joint apart and install another one.

beaterku 06-25-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastIron (Post 8288625)
I saw this late last night and did a little checking myself. My truck isn't at my house, but I have a lot of pictures of everything on it saved on my pc. I replaced my steering parts when I added power steering about 16 or 17 years ago. I'm not 100% sure from the picture, but it looks like mine has a a foam seal on the pitman and a boot on the idler. If it is foam, it's lasted a long time already. I'll check next chance I get.
I looked at the pictures on Rockauto and found the same thing. I also checked pitman and idler arms for my newer blazer and found they also come with foam rings. I guess it they do fail, it's not that hard to pop the joint apart and install another one.

Funny, I did the same thing. If it's tried and true, power on!

Thanks!