The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   checking interest for factory brush guards (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=495484)

coops714x4 11-24-2011 01:27 PM

checking interest for factory brush guards

I have 2 different styles of factory 67-72 brush guards, I have seen a few posts on here of people wanting to get one. I am considering building some, patterned from the originals and I am wondering if there is anyone interested.
they will be made EXACTLY as originals. since I am building them I can alter them to someones specs, I just had surgery so this will NOT be soon, I am just checking to see if there is interest. please reply in thread. DO NOT PM me at this time thanks Coop

BLAZERMAN 11-24-2011 02:11 PM

Re: checking interest for factory brush guards

Do you have any pics of your brush guards? I've only seen one guard for the 67 to 72s that carried a GM part number.
Posted via Mobile Device

coops714x4 11-24-2011 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic of the one that has the GM part number, there were a couple of others that were installed from the dealer, I will get pics of my other one as soon as I am up and around

70cst 11-24-2011 05:15 PM

ttt

SS Tim 11-24-2011 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of factory grille guards I've collected....

coops714x4 11-24-2011 07:17 PM

the other one I have BOLTS together, total of 5 pieces and it bolts to all 6 bumper mounting bolts. Ill get a pic of it as soon as I can, just laying around taking it easy for awhile after surgery, so it might be awhile. I'm just checking to see if anyone might be interested, if no one is interested I'll go on about my business LOL Coop

1972RedNeck 11-24-2011 10:32 PM

What would they cost?

coops714x4 11-24-2011 11:04 PM

Well to be honest I haven't got that figured out yet. I will have to see how much it takes to build one, keep in mind I'm not really doing this to make money, it will give me something to do and help out some guys that want one and can't find originals, there few and far between. just guessing (and this is a guess so don't quote me on it I would say somewhere between $150 and $200 + shipping) and thats for the one like pictured above without any modifications. I am really just checking to see if there is enough interest to justify doing it. I don't want to get all set up to build them and then not be able to sell them. I know there are the purist's that won't be interested because they wont have the part number on them, but for the one's that just want a factory style or similar brush guard here is a chance to have a "repop" that will look just like the original or if they want to modify it in some way like "push guards" or a "winch mount" I can do just about anything someone would want. Coop
Oh and just in case your thinking "here is another clown with a torch and a welder" I have been fabricating and welding in the oilfield most of my life, and I used to be a state certified (its expired now tho) high pressure natural gas pipe line welder, so I think I am qualified to build brush guards

jaros44sr 11-24-2011 11:06 PM

I would be interested, depending what the prototype looks like and cost....for now get well, and contact me when the guard happens. I was going to build one myself, but I could be working on something else on the truck, while your at the brush guards

feller 11-25-2011 01:40 AM

coop im all about it as long as the price isnt too much over your guestimate. also intrested in the other style you are mabey gonna build. and i dont think of you as another fool with a welder and tourch, and to be clear id be making my own if i had a print or one on hand to copy and have thought someone could be doing this for sometime now.

coops714x4 11-25-2011 02:06 AM

jaros44sr and feller I will PM you when I do this. you guys will have "first dibs". feller, by your avatar you have a GMC the "FACTORY" brush guards were made for chevy's I can "alter" the brush guard to "fit" the headlights so it looks right... if you understand what I'm talking about. if you put a brush guard like the one pictured above on a GMC it just wouldnt look right.. savy?? lets see if anyone else is interested. Coop

SS Tim 11-25-2011 03:25 AM

Sorry, I meant to express interest in my post as well. Please put me on the list as a possible.

special-K 11-25-2011 09:56 AM

I think this is a good idea. I may or may not be interested,but this is too early to have to decide.I'll just say I am sure you'd have some takers when the time comes. I'm thinking there was a Chevy and a GMC version. Look at that bottom center one in the picture SS Tim showed

jaros44sr 11-25-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coops714x4 (Post 5029467)
jaros44sr and feller I will PM you when I do this. you guys will have "first dibs". feller, by your avatar you have a GMC the "FACTORY" brush guards were made for chevy's I can "alter" the brush guard to "fit" the headlights so it looks right... if you understand what I'm talking about. if you put a brush guard like the one pictured above on a GMC it just wouldnt look right.. savy?? lets see if anyone else is interested. Coop

I think the only mod. I might need would be to mount some Unity driving lights on the center section of the guard, might just need a wider piece of stock in that area, but we will see...

Thanks for the help

coops714x4 11-25-2011 12:30 PM

SS Tim Ill let you know as well, special-K I think your right, I have never seen one but that pic does show what appears to be a version for a GMC, Jaros44sr when we get there Ill take care of ya

DeadheadNM 11-25-2011 12:33 PM

If I could keep the bumper guards on AND bolt on the brush guard I'd be interested but don't see how that could work.

coops714x4 11-25-2011 12:38 PM

HHMM Deadhead I can prob figure something out for you but ill have to put some thought into it,

DeadheadNM 11-25-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coops714x4 (Post 5030059)
HHMM Deadhead I can prob figure something out for you but ill have to put some thought into it,

Sounds good Coop. I'll remain subscribed and see how things shake out. Good luck with your surgery. Pete

trapperjack 11-25-2011 01:46 PM

Hey coop, i'd be interested in one like is on that Napco flatbed I've lusted after since the first time I saw it. For a 68 panel wagon. Hope your recovery goes well.

coops714x4 11-25-2011 02:26 PM

trapperjack Ill have ya covered that's the factory style.

coops714x4 11-26-2011 02:00 AM

anyone else ??

BLAZERMAN 11-26-2011 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 5029829)
I'm thinking there was a Chevy and a GMC version. Look at that bottom center one in the picture SS Tim showed

Tim is right, there was a GMC and a Chevy version..it was just the spacing of the top bar by the headlights. The very first pic in this thread of the guard on a 67 chevy plus the pic Tim pointed out are the GMC versions.

Here are a couple scans from my 1970 GMC accessory catalog.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eguard3001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eguard2001.jpg

Heres a scan from a 1970 Chevy Silver Book showing one made by Luverne that was a dealer install
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eguard4001.jpg

BLAZERMAN 11-26-2011 02:46 AM

And heres a pic of my NOS Chevy grille guard.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eguard5001.jpg

SS Tim 11-26-2011 04:07 AM

"And heres a pic of my NOS Chevy grille guard."

Now I know what I want for Christmas! :-)

SS Tim 11-26-2011 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the GMC grille guard on a Chevy truck.