The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Making a open sides hard top two options. Looking for suggestions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=683987)

PGG 10-01-2015 01:55 PM

Updated--Making open sided hard top pictures of options. PICTURES Suggestions please!

2 Attachment(s)
OK the other day I purchased on here a extra single wall hard top.
So I have two with the plan of making a hard no hatch no windows top like one of these two option shown in the images. I want this in stead of a bikini top and didn't want to drill any holes.
What do y'all suggest and how would you do it.

I posted the red one in another thread before it is on ebay for sale.
The owner told me he made it out of a double wall top.
I would love to know who owned the green K5 and did that top but
so far no one seems to know.

Thanks for any opinions. PG

PGG 10-01-2015 02:01 PM

Re: Making a open sides hard top two options. Looking for suggestions

1 Attachment(s)
One problem with the Red K5 version is my Roll bar is front only see image.
I have the pipe to do the rest of the family cage but I am not sure I want to do that. I do love the way the Red K5 looks. PG

mcmlxix 10-02-2015 06:52 AM

Just weld a tab on the bottom the furthest down tube. Have a second hoop come up to support the top and bolt to the tab. It will be removed if you take the hard top off. It will also make a nice tie down point in the cargo area when the second hoop isn't being used.

PGG 02-22-2016 02:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, so last fall I got this top with a beat up hatch that I gave to another Blazer owner trying to fix his. Its been at the body shop of a buddy for a while and I thought I would update as to the progress with some pictures.
I am copying the look of the green Blazer if for some reason it wont hold up the style done on the red one is the first back up design.

It is being painted white in some kind of durable finish similar to Rhino liner I am open for suggestions he is going to show me before he paints it what he suggest. I was thinking a non shinny mat finished look.

Here they are. PG

PGG 02-23-2016 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how my extra top started.
Like I mentioned the hatch was somewhat beat up and repair would have been needed to put it back on the top so I didn't feel so bad cutting one up.
I also do have a good single wall white top that came with this one. PG

dozerbill72 02-23-2016 08:34 PM

Would you be interested in selling the drivers side window seal?

Thanks,,,Bill

PGG 02-23-2016 09:04 PM

If the body shop has saved this I will get it for you but I am doubtful as he cut it months ago and I bet the other parts have been dispatched. I can go in the next day or so and find out. If its around you can have it for free. PG

dozerbill72 02-23-2016 09:10 PM

That would be awesome, let me know.

Thank you.

6768chevylover 02-24-2016 10:27 AM

PG if you dont mind me asking how much this is costing you to do That would be awesome. I like the look as well on the green truck. I'm thinking of doing this myself. You inspired me with the pictures and going out and doing it yourself.

PGG 02-24-2016 11:37 AM

I try to block things out like ridiculous cost.
I paid way too much for a top to cut apart with delivery it was over a grand. I had spent a lot of time looking and just gave up and bought one from someone who could put it on a truck. Found others for less farther away or people that couldnt help make sure it got on a truck that I would pay to send.

I have not asked the body shop how much a friend owns it and he is always fair with me. I am certain he has never made one so how would he pre guess cost? He is also a client of mine and owns much more then a body shop plus he sold me the K5 out of his personal collection of toys. He wasn't appreciating it like I do but it wasn't for sale either he has a lot of toys in his collection.

I assume I will have $2500 ish in this when finished.
Stupid money yes I know but I have worked hard doing the same job for 35 years or so and I just wanted the damn thing.
I hope it works like I plan as I have had it cross my mind of it blowing off in a huge gust of wind... PG

1rippen6 02-24-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6768chevylover (Post 7497652)
PG if you dont mind me asking how much this is costing you to do That would be awesome. I like the look as well on the green truck. I'm thinking of doing this myself. You inspired me with the pictures and going out and doing it yourself.

I have 5 tops setting in may yard in various conditions if you want the worst one for 150 without a hatch let me know.

PGG 02-24-2016 02:28 PM

You are a good man 1rippen6! PG

el tesoro 02-24-2016 08:32 PM

If your goal is to avoid drilling holes you might consider the header Rob is selling. Just got mine today. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=526018

I do like the way those others look.

PGG 02-24-2016 08:42 PM

I am not sure who you were writing to but I have a header that was shipped a few days ago also! I am not drilling mine for anything.

I will have several choices!

PG

el tesoro 02-24-2016 09:09 PM

PGG, I was writing to you. Options are good.
I have not pulled the trigger on my soft top yet. I'm neither looking forward to pulling the hard top off for the first time nor dropping the grand on the soft top.

PGG 03-02-2016 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First time on cut. Making progress. PG

dozerbill72 03-02-2016 11:56 PM

Did you by any chance see if the body shop had a window gasket left?

Thanks,,,Bill

71swb4x4 03-03-2016 12:02 AM

Wow, that looks great!

PGG 03-05-2016 09:57 AM

I asked and they are looking for them the place it has been is huge with hundreds are cars, tucks, boats etc. I have to go pay on Monday and will be there again to help check it out. I got it back yesterday but wasnt able to go myself so I sent a guy who works for me to get it since I was out of town for the day. I will post some finished images later today. PG

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozerbill72 (Post 7507394)
Did you by any chance see if the body shop had a window gasket left?

Thanks,,,Bill

chastain90 06-07-2016 03:11 PM

Hate to bring this back up but did the top ever get finished and how does it look?

PGG 06-07-2016 03:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some yes it got finished. Yes it is still very heavy. Yes its pretty cool!
Was it worth the money probably not! PG

PGG 06-07-2016 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here I hopefully fixed the sideways image. Thanks PG

chastain90 06-07-2016 03:55 PM

Thanks, I like it! Do you have any sag problems in the middle? I am probably going to go this route.

PGG 06-07-2016 04:31 PM

So far no sag issues. PG

dozerbill72 06-07-2016 08:25 PM

That turned out really nice..