The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wiper Blades - Wow! $$ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851118)

Ironhorse 03-04-2024 01:14 PM

Wiper Blades - Wow! $$

I will admit it has been some time since I replaced the wiper blades on my '99 Tahoe but this was a bit of a sticker shock to me! Stopped in at our local O'reallys and asked for set of 20'' blades for said '99 Tahoe. Was shown several options and decided on a pair of Bosch, total for the pair just a shade under $50 with a veteran's discount. If I had gone with Rain-X would have been more yet. Tahoe resides in the garage unless I'm driving it so these should last a bit I'm hoping!

Still recovering from the sticket shock, :lol: It will pass with time I guess like all the other sticker shocks one receives now for the last several years.

72c20customcamper 03-04-2024 01:25 PM

Re: Wiper Blades - Wow! $$

Wow . I buy all my wipers at Ollie’s . Last time for 24 inchers for the Dodge the Michelin I beams were $8.99 . They are $25 at Walmart buts it’s hit and miss sometimes they have a lot of blades other times not so much so I buy 2 or 3 pair for each vehicle when they have them

Palf70Step 03-04-2024 01:30 PM

I hear ya. Waiting to see what they will cost for the Tacoma.

Getter-Done 03-04-2024 01:53 PM

I guess it time to start using Rain-X again. :lol:

mongocanfly 03-04-2024 02:13 PM

I agree ,I've had sticker shock for awhile on wiper blades, but Ive learned you get what you pay for...I went with elcheapos, they're just not worth the trouble..
I do run rainx washer fluid..that helps alot...unless its coming a mortal flood, I almost don't even need to run my wipers

DeadheadNM 03-04-2024 02:28 PM

Rock Auto lists a large selection that include Delco and Trico at prices a lot less than $50 pair FWIW

Stocker 03-04-2024 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 9293045)
I hear ya. Waiting to see what they will cost for the Tacoma.

If you still have stock wiper blades, new OEM rubber inserts can be had for ~$20 / pair. But they are a bit fiddly to replace.

Boog 03-04-2024 03:15 PM

Wow, back in my youth I thought Trico was the only wiper brand. Now days there are a number of them. Rainx has a much larger selection at Walmart. I don't bother buying such items at the auto parts stores as they cannot complete with the likes of Walmart on most things.
My wife choose the most expensive wiper blades. I refuse to! :sumo:
$20 and up for a single wiper blade is absolutely crazy, especially for no longer than they last now days.

FleetsidePaul 03-04-2024 04:53 PM

I paid way too much for the last set of blades that I got. Just like the tires and battery I bought. Cheaper online doesn't mean it's cheap. Just a tiny bit less money.

dmb 03-04-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9293064)
Rock Auto lists a large selection that include Delco and Trico at prices a lot less than $50 pair FWIW

X2

I use the Trico

Ironhorse 03-04-2024 08:17 PM

Guess it never occurred to me to check Amazon or Rock Auto. Probably too set in my ways I guess of thru the years when needing car / truck parts just head to the local parts house. Old habits are hard to break, :lol:

Getter-Done 03-04-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 9293159)
Guess it never occurred to me to check Amazon or Rock Auto. Probably too set in my ways I guess of thru the years when needing car / truck parts just head to the local parts house. Old habits are hard to break, :lol:

That is not a Bad habit you have.

I Support my Local Parts store.

I got to keep these old guys at my parts store in Business :lol:

theastronaut 03-04-2024 11:17 PM

Rockauto is the way to go. I always add oil filters and wiper blades to an order if they'll ship from the same warehouse as the other parts I'm buying so shipping doesn't go up much. If you can catch them on closeout they're only a few dollars.

I had to buy wipers from a parts store during a pop up monsoon while on a road trip in our neglected flatbed, and my wallet still hasn't recovered.

special-K 03-05-2024 08:02 AM

I'm growing to appreciate streaks more and more. Can't quite handle the metal to glass gouging quite yet. A feller should be able to run to town and pick up a pair of wipers and still buy the runts an ice cream cone. The fact that they are sold as single blades vs in pairs, like they used to, tells how expensive they have become. What adds insult to injury is these days rubber isn't rubber anymore. The crap wipers are made out of is some crap designed to fail. No longer will you have wipers on a vehicle so long they become hard. They peel apart long before they lose their effectiveness.

67 twins 03-05-2024 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 9293067)
If you still have stock wiper blades, new OEM rubber inserts can be had for ~$20 / pair. But they are a bit fiddly to replace.

Please tell me where? I've looked for inserts, everyone seems to want to sell just the whole blade. I've also bought inserts that said they fit, they didn't.

Lost in the 60's 03-05-2024 01:20 PM

I just went thru this with my 2011 Silverado. I've been buying the Bosch for several years but the set I bought in January groaned and skipped as bad as the old blades. Returned them for another set, same crap, back to O'Rielly's for a 3rd set. These do wipe well, but still groan like they are already hard. Friggen Chinesium rubber is pure crap...:devil:
The main reason I buy at chain parts stores is the warranty travels with the part. I bought the first set here, at home and then drove to FL and had some rain on the way. Went to that local O'Rielly and traded them in for the next 2 sets.
I avoid Amazon for the most part and consider that a last resort. Bezos doesn't need anymore of my money to pee away.
Rock Auto lost me as a loyal customer when they ceased any form of customer support other than email. I got screwed on a wrong part they sent me that I didn't attempt to install for more than the 30 day return that is written in stone, even though it was their error !!! No phone call to a real person to discuss it either. Screw me once, shame on you and in this case, good bye.

Stocker 03-05-2024 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 twins (Post 9293353)
Please tell me where? I've looked for inserts, everyone seems to want to sell just the whole blade. I've also bought inserts that said they fit, they didn't.

Got mine at the Toyota dealership. They are also available online (dealers, Amazon, EBay, etc etc). I paid $10 each in October 2023.

Left (driver) side, p/n 85214-0E020, 22" long.

Right side, p/n 85214-01011, 21" long.

samkost 03-05-2024 04:48 PM

Costco in our area have been offering Michelin Guardian brand wiper blades.
They are presently $3 off on sale for $7.99 thru March 31st.
They are not silicone but worked well on the 99’ Silverado and the 2020 Tahoe.
I also use Rain-X here in the rainy PNW. ;)

Shifty One 03-05-2024 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9293203)
That is not a Bad habit you have.

I Support my Local Parts store.

I got to keep these old guys at my parts store in Business :lol:

I love you man....:truck:

Steeveedee 03-05-2024 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samkost (Post 9293401)
Costco in our area have been offering Michelin Guardian brand wiper blades.
They are presently $3 off on sale for $7.99 thru March 31st.
They are not silicone but worked well on the 99’ Silverado and the 2020 Tahoe.
I also use Rain-X here in the rainy PNW. ;)

Rain-X ftw! I used it on my commuter when I was still working. Above about 30 MPH one doesn't even need the wipers. Drove my carpool buddy nuts! :lol: He said, "You're the only person I know who doesn't use wipers in the rain!". :waah:

weq92f 03-05-2024 09:35 PM

Went through this same thing with my DD. Stopped at O'Reilly's and found the 50 bucks just too much. Got a good set at Wally World for about half that price.

YMMV,

-Kevin

DPowers 03-05-2024 10:56 PM

Ive had good luck with Autozone Duralast Flex. Seem to last as good as any.

Getter-Done 03-05-2024 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9293491)
Rain-X ftw! I used it on my commuter when I was still working. Above about 30 MPH one doesn't even need the wipers. Drove my carpool buddy nuts! :lol: He said, "You're the only person I know who doesn't use wipers in the rain!". :waah:

Yeah :lol:

This is the Rain-X I used in the late 80's.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/RainX-8000022...20&sr=1-2&th=1

I had Friends that was (Amazed ) in awe that the water Rolled up the windshield.

The Rain x windshield washer fluid does a Decent job also.

Because I am Frugal about using it , It last a While. :metal:

Getter-Done 03-05-2024 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty One (Post 9293407)
I love you man....:truck:

Right back at you.

Boog 03-06-2024 07:20 AM

Regarding skipping, bouncing wipers.
You can twist the wiper arms one way or the other to change the angle of the blades contact on the glass. Sometimes the rubber blades tips lean over too far and don't flip back when beginning the upward swing causing that irritating skip, bounce.
Basically you use a wrench to twist the wiper arm to correct the blade's resting angle.
You can google "skipping wipers" on youtube and see the simple fix.