The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Need advice on fixing broken rocker stud on Big Block.. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746461)

bs46488 09-11-2017 11:39 PM

Need advice on fixing broken rocker stud on Big Block..

I'm looking for some input on how you would fix a broken rocker stud?

I just got my project truck back on the road and have driven 48 official miles. First 10 miles on the road the truck just died and i ended up pulling all the old MSD 6AL stuff and putting in a HEi. Then I have been fighting a power steering issue and finally resolved it. Drove the truck yesterday to test out the steering fix.

I was just cruising at about 30, then the truck started to sound like a misfire. Drove home and put it in the garage. Tonight I pulled the valve cover off and found this rocker in the wrong place.

Can I just replace all the rocker studs with some ARP, new adjusting nuts and hit the road?
Or would you do more? The rocker and adjusting nut with the broken stud inside of it was sitting in the valve cover, do I need to worry about metal debris? Or other damage?

The engine came with the project. I know it sat for 6+ years with the previous owner (and I've been working on the truck for close to 3 years) It's a 454 bored .030 over. He gave me a cam card from Crower. And under the valve covers are these fancy looking red rockers. Has a Holley 750 carb.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psax3qm6mv.jpg

Overdriven 09-12-2017 02:00 AM

Re: Need advice on fixing broken rocker stud on Big Block..

I doubt you have to worry about metal shavings. Take the piece of stud out of the adjuster and piece the stud together to check if any chunks are missing though.

Broken rocker stud could be a fluke but I'd want to make sure there aren't any other causes for it. Is the cam really high lift? I'd be checking to make sure none of the valve springs are going into coil bind. Also make sure the rockers aren't hitting the studs when the valves are open. Either of these would put extra force on the stud and could cause it to break.

homemade87 09-12-2017 08:15 AM

For just a quick check get the rocker at full open and be sure you can get a 50 thousands feeler gauge in there . If less that this it could be coil bind . If less there may be others that will do the same . Hopefully its just inferior studs . ARP would be a good idea anyway since one has broken .

As Overdriven has said also . Check to see if any witness marks on the rocker where it may be in contact with something .

Marv D 09-12-2017 09:59 AM

YUP,, there is some garbage parts that found their way into many a hotrod,, but you need to assume it's a quality part and find out WHY it broke.
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships..

"OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"

Check every possibility of WHY it broke before you assume it was simply a inferior part or you can end up with a huge mess.

mattfranklin 09-12-2017 11:52 AM

What is the lift? Is there any kind of part number or company marking on the rocker? Some rockers are made for higher lifts.

bs46488 09-12-2017 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the input.

Marv D brought up a point I was curious about....WHY did this happened? And should I spend some more time/energy/money figuring out why and preventing in the future?

I'll dig through my project folder tonight and see if I can find any more info, part numbers, cam/lift specs, etc.

I didn't look at the rocker, I just looked to make sure the rocker, the adjusting nut, and broken off stud were still present. I'll see if I can see any scrapes or marks.

The only thing I know about those rockers is from what I learned from my friend Google. PSP is a chinese knock off of Scorpion rockers. They seem to be made in a 1.5 or a 1.65 ratio.

PGSigns 09-12-2017 01:48 PM

If it were mine I would pull the intake and look at the lifter and the cam lobe. Post better pictures of the spring and the rocker. Look like there are marks on the retainer.
Jimmy

bs46488 09-12-2017 09:29 PM

A little more info....

I don't see any marks or contact on the rollers. Here is a pic of the damaged one, you can see some silver on the bottom that looks like the threads.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psvxbwwkcu.jpg

The rocker studs are 7/16 and just shy of 2"

The previous owner bought these rockers from a marine shop for $120, but no part numbers.

The cam is a Crower 01243, intake 284 with a .541 lift. Exhaust is 290 at .517 lift. The cam card says based on 1.7 rockers, but I can't identify mine.

I can not tell any info on the springs in the head

GRX 09-12-2017 11:16 PM

Damn. Sounds frustrating. Hope the kinks are all worked out soon. Agree that you need to discover why the stud broke. I would be going through and checking the valve lash and ensure the poly locks are set correctly. Unless other studs show sign of wear, you could probably get away with replacing just the one. Though a new set of ARP certainly not a bad idea.

1.7 is indeed the stock rocker ratio. Confirming what those rollers are is fairly simple using dial caliper or machinist scale. The image below should help:

http://performancetrends.com/Definit...-Ratio-Lrg.gif

bs46488 09-13-2017 01:49 AM

Did a little more digging around and think it's time to consider plan b.

I pulled a good stud out so I could get some measurements. Then I noticed this stud is mared where the rocker sits on the shroud. Wondering if I need longer studs and shanks for the rocker to sit on?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps68eu2naj.jpg

Then I looked closer at the #1 cylinder spring and see two of the coils touching and look on the back side to see the spring is cracked. So now this is a whole new problem.

Since now the heads need to come off, I guess my plan b choices are:

1) aftermarket heads (didn't really want to spend that kind of $$ right now)

2) have my local machine shop rebuild the heads (most likely it would just make financal sense to do #1)

3) do a quick patch job myself with new studs and springs. Never done this and I don't have all those tools. My guess is $400 - 500 in parts and probably 2-3 months turnaround for me.

4) LS swap, just because that's what everyone is doing now-a-days.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I've learned a lot on a topic I have zero experience with.

Brian

PGSigns 09-13-2017 07:05 AM

Sounds like you will need a new set of springs to match that cam. I would pull the heads and have them worked. Rocker studs come in different lengths and yo may need a longer one for that setup you have. Pull a couple and see how many threads are in the poly locks. Should be about a 1/2". Next take a look at the push rod length verses stock to see if for some reason it has a longer set of push rods in it. With a project you just never know. While apart look at the lifter and the cam in the cylinder that broke the rocker stud. Since you drove it some there is a chance it could have gotten beat up.
Jimmy

homemade87 09-13-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bs46488 (Post 8038413)
A little more info....

I don't see any marks or contact on the rollers. Here is a pic of the damaged one, you can see some silver on the bottom that looks like the threads.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psvxbwwkcu.jpg

The rocker studs are 7/16 and just shy of 2"

The previous owner bought these rockers from a marine shop for $120, but no part numbers.

The cam is a Crower 01243, intake 284 with a .541 lift. Exhaust is 290 at .517 lift. The cam card says based on 1.7 rockers, but I can't identify mine.

I can not tell any info on the springs in the head

The one things I see is there is thread marks on the rocker from the stud . Could be the rocker was pivoting back on the stud and flexing the stud to the point of fatigue and breaking it . This may be the reason why it broke where it did . Could be the reason you see the mark on the stud as well . Take a closer look at it and see if this is a possibility .

If this is the case , could be from the wrong length push rods . Be a good ideal to check the wipe pattern on the valve .

JMac11 09-13-2017 09:27 AM

Factory Stud, no telling how old or how hard it has been run. BBC are hard on them and rockers in stock form. Make sure you have correct installed height on springs. Most of the companies assume you are putting in hardened retainers and tossing rotators.

mattfranklin 09-13-2017 10:26 AM

Does the motor have guide plates for the push rods? Are the rockers self-aligning or are they the kind that need guide plates? That's an issue for small blocks, but not sure if BBCs have the same problem.

Captainfab 09-13-2017 11:50 PM

Don't automatically assume that rebuilding your current heads will cost as much or more than new aftermarket heads. Most will say that it will but that is not the case in my area. Check with your favorite machine shop first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bs46488 (Post 8038591)
Did a little more digging around and think it's time to consider plan b.

I pulled a good stud out so I could get some measurements. Then I noticed this stud is mared where the rocker sits on the shroud. Wondering if I need longer studs and shanks for the rocker to sit on?

Then I looked closer at the #1 cylinder spring and see two of the coils touching and look on the back side to see the spring is cracked. So now this is a whole new problem.

Since now the heads need to come off, I guess my plan b choices are:

1) aftermarket heads (didn't really want to spend that kind of $$ right now)

2) have my local machine shop rebuild the heads (most likely it would just make financal sense to do #1)

3) do a quick patch job myself with new studs and springs. Never done this and I don't have all those tools. My guess is $400 - 500 in parts and probably 2-3 months turnaround for me.

4) LS swap, just because that's what everyone is doing now-a-days.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I've learned a lot on a topic I have zero experience with.

Brian

All Mark IV big blocks come with pushrod guide plates. Most come with 5/16" pushrods, but performance big blocks usually have 3/8" pushrods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattfranklin (Post 8038723)
Does the motor have guide plates for the push rods? Are the rockers self-aligning or are they the kind that need guide plates? That's an issue for small blocks, but not sure if BBCs have the same problem.

RustyBucket 09-19-2017 11:31 AM

Never saw the head casting number in the thread(might've missed it). Some are more desirable than others. That would be another determining factor as far as keep/rebuild or replace. Sitting for 6 years isn't very good for valve springs..... some are compressed.

GRX 09-19-2017 12:33 PM

"Sitting for 6 years isn't very good for valve springs..... some are compressed. "

Good point. That is why I always tell customers to back off the rockers when letting it sit. Plus it closes the valves and helps prevent humidity from entering the cylinders. Funny how many will spend big time & money on an engine build for their rod, then leave it on a stand for years while getting the chassis & body together. Building the engine should be left for last. In my mind anyway.

bs46488 10-05-2017 04:40 PM

Just an update....

Got all my parts in and started taking thing apart. The old rocker studs are all gouged and nicked, so I feel good about replacing them all. The rockers glide very smooth over the new studs.

Pulled my first valve spring and the new stem seals I got don't fit over the valve guide....so I'm going to try some O.E. replacement umbrella style seals from my local parts store (which of course are not in stock, so I have to wait for them to arrive)

Here are the old springs (left) compared to the new ones (right)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psuzfhu78l.jpg

mattfranklin 10-12-2017 10:54 AM

There is a tool you can use to machine down the outer valve guide diameter to fit the positive valve stem seals if you want them. Fits in a drill. I've not yet had to do that myself, but there are youtube videos on it. I think Comp Cams is one of the companies that offers it.

bs46488 10-17-2017 02:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got it all back together. Rolled it outside to fire it up and didn't have the results I was looking for. I have a no fire on cylinder # 3, 5, 2, and 8. I think its a spark plug wire issue (I've had problems with them in the past). I'm going to get some new wires and see what happens.

mattfranklin 10-18-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bs46488 (Post 8062707)
Got it all back together. Rolled it outside to fire it up and didn't have the results I was looking for. I have a no fire on cylinder # 3, 5, 2, and 8. I think its a spark plug wire issue (I've had problems with them in the past). I'm going to get some new wires and see what happens.

It sure looks good, though -- with and without valve covers.

bs46488 10-23-2017 12:38 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. I got everything all taken care of and drove the truck on Sunday with no noises, leaks, or break downs.

The no fire issue turned out to be that I tightened the rockers too much and they were putting pressure on the pushrods and slightly opening the valves so those cylinders had no compression. I popped the valve covers off, rechecked all the rocker arms and it fired right up.

Now that this has been resolved I'm hoping to put some miles on this truck!

BossHogg69 10-24-2017 12:39 AM

Glad to see you got it all back running and healthy. Sometimes these engine issues can be frustrating and demoralizing, but it sure is nice to go cruise after fixing things and have everything go well.