The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hydroboost Mounting Plates (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=347480)

Will206 03-19-2016 12:38 AM

Re: Hydroboost Mounting Plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 7527663)
All you need is a factory hydroboost mounting plate for a '73-'86 C/K or a '87-'91 R/V truck, Suburban or Blazer. Then just remove the factory '99 mounting bracket and install the earlier one. As for connecting to the pedal, some fabrication may be needed. I'm not sure as I have not done anything like this. It would likely be a whole lot easier to just get a '73-'86 C/K or '87-'92 R/V hydroboost and bolt it up.

I'm kinda limited in terms of selection, I'm out in the middle of nowhere South Dakota, so my primary resource is the internets. I sourced that unit on eBay for $99 bucks, in an effort to save a bit. I'm not too concerned about the pedal situation, I'm going to thread the rod and put an adjustable linkage to the pedal, I may have to modify its connecting location as well because I think the geomtry is a bit different.

I've never seen the bracket for sale by itself, which I think would look like this:

https://imgur.com/a/HUH6U

I could buy the pump with the plate for $180+$60 core+ I'd still need the proper res and I think the pedal is still wrong so I'd have to modify that or replace it as well.

If you happen to know where to locate a plate like that, awesome. Otherwise perhaps you could just sell me the plate and the bracket sans mounting holes, I could drill them myself.

Captainfab 03-19-2016 01:17 AM

Yes that is what the correct mounting plate looks like. Have you checked the '73-'87 classifieds here on the forum for a hydroboost? If you were to purchase a rebuilt hydroboost for a '89 V2500 from your local auto parts store, it should come with the bracket.

Of the 3 standard booster brackets I make, I don't know if any of them would work in your application. I do not drill any holes. All of my parts are CNC laser cut, which includes all the holes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will206 (Post 7527692)
I'm kinda limited in terms of selection, I'm out in the middle of nowhere South Dakota, so my primary resource is the internets. I sourced that unit on eBay for $99 bucks, in an effort to save a bit. I'm not too concerned about the pedal situation, I'm going to thread the rod and put an adjustable linkage to the pedal, I may have to modify its connecting location as well because I think the geomtry is a bit different.

I've never seen the bracket for sale by itself, which I think would look like this:

https://imgur.com/a/HUH6U

I could buy the pump with the plate for $180+$60 core+ I'd still need the proper res and I think the pedal is still wrong so I'd have to modify that or replace it as well.

If you happen to know where to locate a plate like that, awesome. Otherwise perhaps you could just sell me the plate and the bracket sans mounting holes, I could drill them myself.

Captainfab 03-19-2016 01:21 AM

Here is a truck with a complete hydroboost unit, master cylinder and all. You could likely get everything you need from this one source.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=700334

Classic v6 GMC's 03-19-2016 10:41 AM

So will this bracket work with a 2000 GMC 2500 hydroboost unit?

A friend is swapping a 6.0 and 4l80 out of a 2000 GMC 2500 into his 1971 El Camino and the GMC has hydro boost. I am trying to help him figure out if we can make it work.
Thanks, Andy

Captainfab 03-19-2016 11:25 PM

All GM hydroboost units that I have seen are all the same once you remove the factory mounting bracket. So yes, this hydroboost mounting plate will work on a 2000 model year hydroboost once the factory bracket is removed. As for mounting it to the '71 El Camino firewall, you will either have to open up the center hole and drill holes for the mounting plate, or fabricate a booster bracket similar to what I make for the '60-'72 trucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's (Post 7527909)
So will this bracket work with a 2000 GMC 2500 hydroboost unit?

A friend is swapping a 6.0 and 4l80 out of a 2000 GMC 2500 into his 1971 El Camino and the GMC has hydro boost. I am trying to help him figure out if we can make it work.
Thanks, Andy

Classic v6 GMC's 03-19-2016 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 7528535)
All GM hydroboost units that I have seen are all the same once you remove the factory mounting bracket. So yes, this hydroboost mounting plate will work on a 2000 model year hydroboost once the factory bracket is removed. As for mounting it to the '71 El Camino firewall, you will either have to open up the center hole and drill holes for the mounting plate, or fabricate a booster bracket similar to what I make for the '60-'72 trucks.

I was thinking that we can mount it to his stock power brake booster brackets.

Please PM me total for the hydroboost plate and special socket along with Paypal info and I will get you paid.
Thanks,
Andy

Classic v6 GMC's 03-24-2016 06:32 PM

Parts arrived today. Quality parts and great packaging!! :gmc2:

BBPanel 03-26-2016 11:03 AM

What determines the HB pedal rod displacement distance? Does the m/c dictate that or does the HB pedal rod have its own unique travel length? Would seem like the m/c should be the determining factor - I'm retrofitting a HB and need to determine what my pedal travel should/needs to be. -Bob

Will206 03-26-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBPanel (Post 7535968)
What determines the HB pedal rod displacement distance? Does the m/c dictate that or does the HB pedal rod have its own unique travel length? Would seem like the m/c should be the determining factor - I'm retrofitting a HB and need to determine what my pedal travel should/needs to be. -Bob

I haven't a clue to be honest. I replied to the guy Capitanfab said had one but I haven't heard anything back, right now I am planning on using the rivited bracket off my old booster and a hydroboost mounting plate. I will then cut the end off the HB pedal rod, thread both halves and use a adjustable type linkage in between. Possibly off something like a turn buckle, but add jam nuts. I still have to figure out the *actual* angle of the rod because I know the HB units generally connect a little higher on the pedal. I was really hoping to find just a HB brake pedal but haven't had any luck yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will206 03-26-2016 04:00 PM

Here is a custom setup from http://www.custompowerbrake.com/: http://i.imgur.com/fKY8Kcp.jpg

Captainfab 03-26-2016 11:47 PM

Sorry but I'm not understanding what you mean by 'pedal rod displacement distance'? As for connecting the hydroboost pushrod to the brake pedal, you will probably want something in the neighborhood of a 4:1 ratio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBPanel (Post 7535968)

BBPanel 03-27-2016 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 7536719)
Sorry but I'm not understanding what you mean by 'pedal rod displacement distance'?

When you apply the brakes how far does the HB pedal rod move before it bottoms out - or will the m/c bottom out first?

Captainfab 03-27-2016 01:29 AM

I do not have that answer. I have not installed a hydroboost yet and I do not have an operational one to measure. I am not in the business of working on cars and trucks for others and no time for any of my own with working 80 hrs a week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBPanel (Post 7536761)
When you apply the brakes how far does the HB pedal rod move before it bottoms out - or will the m/c bottom out first?

juddss 03-28-2016 04:49 PM

Posting so I can find thread again. Looks nice

YOLO 04-05-2016 06:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Captainfab.
Here are the pictures of my hydroboost from mcgaughys. I also included pictures of my 64 c10 fire wall. Do I buy your bracket, unbolt the bracket on my hydroboost, bolt your bracket on, then mount it to the fire wall? Or do I just use the bracket that came with my hydroboost and re drill it to match the fire wall? I just installed your PS adapter plate and worked out perfect. Thank you.
Attachment 1519001

Attachment 1519002

Attachment 1519003

doublebeetx 04-05-2016 09:29 PM

The picture you posted isn't a hydroboost, that is power brakes via vacuum. You simply bolt that to the firewall as you have it. Hydroboost uses hydraulic pressure via the power steering pump, not vacuum.

YOLO 04-05-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublebeetx (Post 7549619)
The picture you posted isn't a hydroboost, that is power brakes via vacuum. You simply bolt that to the firewall as you have it. Hydroboost uses hydraulic pressure via the power steering pump, not vacuum.

This is part of the front disc brake kit I bought. The master cylinder bolts to it. The holes do not line up with the fire wall and I prefer not to drill the fire wall. I would rather re drill the bracket to fit the holes on the fire wall.

Captainfab 04-05-2016 11:17 PM

As stated by by doublebeetx, that is a vacuum booster noot a hydroboost. To mount that vacuum booster to your firewall you need one of my booster brackets shown in this fro sale thread.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=339081

However I do not know what the mounting stud pattern is on that booster. You will have to check that and see if it is the same as the holes in my booster brackets.

Budman56 04-18-2016 03:05 PM

I should have known that you (captainfab) has already built a adapter plate for the hydro boost conversion. I just did this swap on my dodge cummings truck which will later become a 65 chevy cab on the dodge frame.

Theboatandcarman 04-18-2016 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ended up not needing the hydroboost plate. here we are

burnitg 04-30-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtb1971 (Post 7454284)
Thanks Captianfab! Finally got the my hydro boost mounted tonight.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...psey5cduve.jpg

CaptainFab:

What is your price for the direct mount plate, in bare steel, like the one you made for Curtb1971?

Thanks,
Burnett

Captainfab 05-01-2016 12:10 AM

I'll send you a PM with ordering and payment info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnitg (Post 7578191)
CaptainFab:

What is your price for the direct mount plate, in bare steel, like the one you made for Curtb1971?

Thanks,
Burnett

Possmguts 06-26-2016 12:57 AM

so.. with the hydroboost, I only need a direct mounting plate to keep it tight and clean to the firewall?

Captainfab 08-08-2016 12:55 AM

I will be on vacation from 08-08-16 thru 08-25-16. If you wish to make a purchase you can post here in this for sale thread, send me a PM or an email to captainfab454@hotmail.com. I will reply to your inquiry when I return on the 25th. I do currently have a list of orders to build and ship when I return but I will add your name to the list in order of when received. Thanks for your understanding.

solidaxel 08-08-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3939420)
I made up a couple extra of the hydroboost nut sockets. The cost on these is $52.50 each plus a flat $10.00 for shipping. If purchased with a hydroboost adapter plate, the shipping for both would be $10.00 as well. additionally, if you purchase either of my booster adapter brackets along with the hydroboost adapter plate and the socket, it's still $10.00 for shipping. Plus you get $5.00 off on the hydroboost adapter plate.

Has Anyone found anymore uses for this size socket, other than the Hydro boost nut?