The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wrap it up! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=491918)

TRAU 82 11-02-2011 12:26 PM

Wrap it up!

hey there SQUARES...i'm looking for some advice/past experience/guidance in regards to wrapped headers. from what i've read/heard, there seems to be both many positives (significantly reducing underhood temp, increased flow?, etc.) and negatives (trapping heat in, creating moisture, cracked tubes or welds, poss void of warranty) in doing so. i have a spankin new set of coated headmans and am torn between the decision...is it too much heat trapped in to be doing so on a coated set? should you only do so on an uncoated/natural set? please share your advice/experience.....oh yea, if you have any pics with specs those are always rad too:metal:

Redcap 11-02-2011 12:28 PM

Re: Wrap it up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAU 82 (Post 4986926)
hey there SQUARES...i'm looking for some advice/past experience/guidance in regards to wrapped headers. from what i've read/heard, there seems to be both many positives (significantly reducing underhood temp, increased flow?, etc.) and negatives (trapping heat in, creating moisture, cracked tubes or welds, poss void of warranty) in doing so. i have a spankin new set of coated headmans and am torn between the decision...is it too much heat trapped in to be doing so on a coated set? should you only do so on an uncoated/natural set? please share your advice/experience.....oh yea, if you have any pics with specs those are always rad too:metal:

If you want your headers to rot quickly, go ahead and wrap them.

donut 11-02-2011 09:50 PM

x2
Headers, I've always heard unwrapped. Coated headers?
GM thought it was a good idea to wrap a small section of trans cooler line on my Trailblazer, needless to say a repair was done a few months ago. (rest of the line appears to be fine, just the part they wrapped rotted out.)

swb85 11-03-2011 09:47 AM

I personally wouldn't wrap your headers unless it's a fair weather only vehicle. The whole premise behind it is to keep as much heat in the tubes as possible to make the exhaust system as efficient as it can be. Ceramic coating (which you already have) follows the same premise. The only thing I'd personally ever wrap headers for is a turbo system.

Pop's C-10 11-03-2011 10:03 AM

I wraped tha shorties on mt camaro cause is bite on all tha hype...that thing was like a oven under tha hood & it was a mild cammed, law cr 350..don't do it

TRAU 82 11-03-2011 04:03 PM

thanks for the advice fellas...sure would look rad under the hood in case those shiny coated headers ever get scuffed up, but sounds like it would cause much more headache than what it is worth. appreciate your input..

sumran 11-03-2011 04:12 PM

As long as your carb is properly tuned the ceramics should do fine. And there are lots of other benefits to having the carb right. If the carb is too lean, the ceramics will have problems. If your headers are overheating your exhaust valves are probably not loving life either.