The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rusty Hoods ??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=415609)

Bugeyev8 08-08-2010 01:10 PM

Rusty Hoods ???

4 Attachment(s)
I searched and searched for rusty hoods and how someone has repaired them...found nothing, I had been looking for a good not rusted hood for my 62 for about 15 years finally found one that looked good so I bought it, I have bought several over the years and always found unwelcome surprises under the paint, this one I scratched the paint to metal in all the normal places before buying it and it was still rusty, the thing had rotted away from the inside !! Here is what I did to repair it, I had several hoods laying around and used a bit of that metal and some new sheet metal too, Mig welder set with 0.23 wire power 1 and wire speed of 4.5 and 8 hrs later I had a hood I could use, all together I fixed 5 rust spots

Bugeyev8 08-08-2010 01:13 PM

Re: Rusty Hoods ???

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

hd74 08-08-2010 02:08 PM

looks great,need some more pratice

CJ Loeffelholz 08-08-2010 04:35 PM

That's impressive workmanship. Well done.

watercooled 08-08-2010 05:57 PM

Good looking work!I had to do the same thing with mine.My hood looked great till i started sanding. Half the pasenger side of were the hood and fender meet was bud beer cans cut and jb welded then they packed about three cans of bondo on it.Same with the drivers side door took it off was wondering why it weighed about 600 pounds was all the bondo and beer cans.

McC_65_91 08-08-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watercooled (Post 4128917)
Good looking work!I had to do the same thing with mine.My hood looked great till i started sanding. Half the pasenger side of were the hood and fender meet was bud beer cans cut and jb welded then they packed about three cans of bondo on it.Same with the drivers side door took it off was wondering why it weighed about 600 pounds was all the bondo and beer cans.

hahahaha that is awesome... at least it was still American

Captainfab 08-09-2010 01:27 AM

That looks real good....nice job :thumbs:

Just a FYI, You can buy patch panels for the front of the hoods. But if you have another hood to cut the pieces from, that makes sense.

LostMy65 09-06-2011 09:51 PM

Thanks for this thread.

Alan's Classic 09-06-2011 11:01 PM

Very well done!!

BMERDOC 09-06-2011 11:11 PM

Did you use a flapper on your grinder to get the metal finished? If so was it new or well worn? I know that the flappers work well and can lessen in courseness as they age. Im starting my metal work and want to reduce filler where I can. Thanks in advance!!

Bugeyev8 09-07-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMERDOC (Post 4885879)
Did you use a flapper on your grinder to get the metal finished? If so was it new or well worn? I know that the flappers work well and can lessen in courseness as they age. Im starting my metal work and want to reduce filler where I can. Thanks in advance!!

I use a DA with 80 grit to finish the metal after repairs, two coats of high build epoxy blocked and a few more coats of sealer and its done..I did not use any bondo on most of the hood repairs

1Bad62Pro/Street 09-07-2011 09:31 PM

Awesome Bud!!!:metal:

LostMy65 09-07-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 (Post 4128554)
I searched and searched for rusty hoods and how someone has repaired them...found nothing, ...clip...

I was searching and was happy I found yours.

I have since found two more; both by Alan.

I added links to all three to the FAQ's:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...19#post4887519

BMERDOC 09-07-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 (Post 4886979)
I use a DA with 80 grit to finish the metal after repairs, two coats of high build epoxy blocked and a few more coats of sealer and its done..I did not use any bondo on most of the hood repairs

Thank you. I want to metal finish most of my body repairs to minimize bondo. I wanted to use primer as my bondo but I was unsure what the best tool for the job was. I've been using a grinder with a broke-in flapper and it has seemed to work well. I'm using a DA with 80 grit to strip paint but I haven't tried it for leveling welds.

Bugeyev8 09-07-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMERDOC (Post 4887587)
Thank you. I want to metal finish most of my body repairs to minimize bondo. I wanted to use primer as my bondo but I was unsure what the best tool for the job was. I've been using a grinder with a broke-in flapper and it has seemed to work well. I'm using a DA with 80 grit to strip paint but I haven't tried it for leveling welds.

oh I thought you meant the final finish, I used an 80 grit flapper but a brand new one and was very carefull to only hit the weld and not the area around it, if you use a worn flapper it is very hard to tell whet you are grinding because the edge is often rounded over

then I used a 3m roloc disk with 120 and then the 80 grit

the first coat of primer I thinned out to get in all the small scratches, then the 2nd went on like mud...and then a guide coat and some blocking, its a good idea to let the epoxy sit a few days to let it shrink...I know they say it does not shrink...but let me tell you the stuff I used did

BMERDOC 09-07-2011 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the add. info. My flapper is only broke in and still has a square edge. So far I've only plug welded the CHEVROLET on the hood. I ground it down just like you did. I need to add some more weld into a couple of spots to fill some areas. I have the tools I just wanna know when to use them. I did metal work when I was a kid but both my thinking and the equipment used has changed.

aerotruk63 09-08-2011 08:02 AM

When looking for hoods don't forget to look at School Buses. They generally were maintained better and spent less time on the road. As they were higher off the ground, they are less likely to have been trampled on. Scrapyards use the buses for parts storage.