The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

SIXT8LOU 07-19-2015 02:07 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

2 Attachment(s)
I installed my lower A arms, coils and spindle next..

WIDESIDE72 07-19-2015 02:13 PM

I was gassing up and the guy working on the drive through car wash came by and said he liked the truck and asked if i knew i had a shock hanging loose. I said no and looked under to see that the nut for the right rear lower shock had come loose. The bolt and spacer were still in the shock though. I pushed the shock up out of the way and went by tractor supply and bought two lock nuts and two flat washers. When i installed the shocks originally the poly bushing wanted to crush and disort beore i got the nut as tight as i wanted. I put the washer under the bolt head, then put the bolt through the shock, throth the mounting bracket, then installed the locknut. I took the other side apart and did the same thing. Now the nut is tight where ever i stop turning it, instead of having to rely and compressing the bushing so much to get it tight.

While i was under there, i noticed that the upper track bar bushing (on rear axle) was gone. The stud and nut were still there, no bushing. This was a CPP part that i bough as part of a kit from the forum. I ordered an energy suspension bushing kit online for $13 shipped and plan to add a big washer to it as well to keep it in place. This explains why i noticed the tire rub marks on the inside of the driver rear tire well when i had the tire off working on my hidden (marker light) fuel filler install!

While i had the truck up on the ramps i also swapped out the e brake cable i bought from LMC that was supposed to be for a swb truck with th350 but was too long. I got one from Oreilly that was listed for the same application. Lo and behold it was shorter and cheaper to boot! Now i finally have an operation e brake!

In The Ten Ring 07-19-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 (Post 7245963)
I was gassing up and the guy working on the drive through car wash came by and said he liked the truck and asked if i knew i had a shock hanging loose. I said no and looked under to see that the nut for the right rear lower shock had come loose. The bolt and spacer were still in the shock though. I pushed the shock up out of the way and went by tractor supply and bought two lock nuts and two flat washers. When i installed the shocks originally the poly bushing wanted to crush and disort beore i got the nut as tight as i wanted. I put the washer under the bolt head, then put the bolt through the shock, throth the mounting bracket, then installed the locknut. I took the other side apart and did the same thing. Now the nut is tight where ever i stop turning it, instead of having to rely and compressing the bushing so much to get it tight.

While i was under there, i noticed that the upper track bar bushing (on rear axle) was gone. The stud and nut were still there, no bushing. This was a CPP part that i bough as part of a kit from the forum. I ordered an energy suspension bushing kit online for $13 shipped and plan to add a big washer to it as well to keep it in place. This explains why i noticed the tire rub marks on the inside of the driver rear tire well when i had the tire off working on my hidden (marker light) fuel filler install!

While i had the truck up on the ramps i also swapped out the e brake cable i bought from LMC that was supposed to be for a swb truck with th350 but was too long. I got one from Oreilly that was listed for the same application. Lo and behold it was shorter and cheaper to boot! Now i finally have an operation e brake!

Deleted.

special-K 07-19-2015 04:34 PM

I had to order the inner bearing for my '72 from Napa. Tore down the Selectro hubs, cleaned, oiled, reassembled, ready to go. I hope to find new stainless bolts & lock washers for them tomorrow, and pick-up the bearing

In The Ten Ring 07-19-2015 05:35 PM

I rinsed off my new (1970) core support and am letting it dry in the sun. I also wire brushed off a bracket, washer, and nut and put on a coat of NAPA Rust Treatment. I also have another bracket undergoing ERR.

ekgguy 07-19-2015 06:03 PM

This was an afternoons worth of work... If I ever find the person that put that white strip down the center of the bed.... :devil:

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psmeqecwpj.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...ps920vzwwz.jpg

Tomorrow... start pulling out and filling in the divits and finish pulling the bottom of the bed.

mud.man.rj 07-19-2015 06:11 PM

Wow ekgguy, that is a lot of work, good for you getting at it and bringing it back to life again. keep at it.:thumbs:

Redline novdog 07-19-2015 06:17 PM

Wow good work Ekgguy!! Hope you're not painting it gloss black!!!

VWNate1 07-19-2015 06:28 PM

Re: What I did With my truck Saturday

I dropped the tailgate and spread cardboard and clean towels over it for protection as I did bench works on a brand-x car......

Sigh .

centuryhouse 07-19-2015 06:52 PM

1. brazed leaks in radiator, reinstalled, added new coolant
2. installed new spark plugs
3. installed new oil filter & changed oil

kingsolver72 07-19-2015 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put a hitch on the 70.

1968aj 07-19-2015 09:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have slowly been working on my 69 cst for about a year. almost through with interior.it is 3 different colors for now but it is rust free. soon to be a daily driver.

ekgguy 07-19-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redline novdog (Post 7246190)
Wow good work Ekgguy!! Hope you're not painting it gloss black!!!

Not even close.... it is going to be wrapped with the matte copper in my avatar.

67swb72klb 07-19-2015 10:17 PM

Drove the 67 sorry no pics but there were four 67-72 trucks downtown for the Sunday night car show/concert in town tonight

magwakeenercew2jh 07-19-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968aj (Post 7246391)
I have slowly been working on my 69 cst for about a year. almost through with interior.it is 3 different colors for now but it is rust free. soon to be a daily driver.

Very nice. I love steppers.

I love 'em all.
But I REALLY love rust-free steppers.

Nice interior.

cooperhw 07-19-2015 11:29 PM

Yesterday we painted the doors and the bed. Today I married up my replacement 350 and installed hooker headers.

Bowtiguy 07-19-2015 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally finished the CRAPPY inline tube "direct fit" SS brake lines...what a joke. I'll build mine from scratch next time.

Bowtiguy 07-19-2015 11:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah, wrapped up the iDIDit 30" universal column to the NLE power R&P too.

Lanman1972 07-20-2015 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took it to an all Chevy Show!

5567Cruiser 07-20-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanman1972 (Post 7246953)
Took it to an all Chevy Show!

What a beauty, I'd give it a 1st place in the truck class!

magwakeenercew2jh 07-20-2015 02:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Went to the dump. Then to the hardware store.
Then to the grocery store.

That's it for today. Pretty boring, huh?

Lou Boffa 07-20-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 7247302)
Went to the dump. Then to the hardware store.
Then to the grocery store.

That's it for today. Pretty boring, huh?

Thats whats great about these trucks: taking them out for routine chores never gets boring.

stepsider 07-20-2015 03:09 PM

Can't be boring with that truck, very very NICE:flagw:

Boog 07-20-2015 03:20 PM

Easy there Bill. You might overwork it. �� i kid. .Rat is still lookin good.

mud.man.rj 07-20-2015 08:20 PM

So mag is saying he drove around a lot and had fun..:bann: