The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Next project - K/5 Tahoe (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=787323)

Paul72 05-22-2019 12:47 PM

Next project - K/5 Tahoe

5 Attachment(s)
I just bought a complete, running 1971 Blazer from Florida (CL find!) and had it shipped up to Iowa. It's a pretty solid piece - needs rockers, etc. but all in all a great starting point! First item of business will be removing the 68 clip - just not a fan of this look...

I really enjoy driving these old trucks, but after a while I really start appreciating modern technology (injection, suspension, brakes, etc.).

My plan over the next few years is to drive/enjoy the Blazer as I fix the major issues. While I am doing that, I'm going to remove the 99 Tahoe from its frame and prepare it to receive the Blazer body, creating (in my mind) the perfect old Blazer with all the modern conveniences of a late model vehicle. Sounds much, much easier that it will be, but should be a fun and challenging endeavor!

Stay tuned for periodic updates on this project - I am venturing into a new area taking on this task and I'm sure I'll have a great many questions and frustrations to share with you!

Here are the 'before' pics:

A1971Blazer 05-22-2019 02:04 PM

Re: Next project - K/5 Tahoe

With enough time, enough money, the right tools, and the fab skills....anything is possible best of luck and keep posting your progress

simicrintz 05-22-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8530008)
With enough time, enough money, the right tools, and the fab skills....anything is possible best of luck and keep posting your progress

Try to get ahold of Jeff Spicoli's Dad; he has an awesome set of tools!

Looks like a great project; love the orange interior color!

Heydanl 05-24-2019 02:33 AM

Cody Elmore on "69-72 K5 Blazer and Jimmy" Facebook page has done something very similar to you, might have some suggestions for when you run into issues

parb 05-24-2019 08:56 PM

I assume the interior is the original color?

Paul72 05-24-2019 09:14 PM

Thanks for the FB tip - I'll look into it!

I assume the Blazer was originally orange and was repainted when the 68 front clip was installed

hemi43 05-25-2019 07:11 AM

FWIW, you will be better off just swapping the engine and trans, and do a brake upgrade. One day you will be selling this Blazer and you will regret putting it on that Tahoe chassis because this will greatly devalue it. Too bad you're so far away or I'd let you take my Blazer for a drive. You would change your mind because with a bit of work the original suspension and brakes can be tuned to work like today's new trucks.