The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hydroboost hose to a rack and pinion ... hose to -6AN fitting? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=804602)

G-NUT 04-18-2020 02:38 PM

Hydroboost hose to a rack and pinion ... hose to -6AN fitting?

1984 Suburban. Stock PS pump. Stock hydroboost. I've installed a Mustang 1979-93 rack and pinion. The kit came with a return hose and a pressure hose, but the kit is designed for a convensional / non-hydroboost GM saginaw pump power steering system. I'm wanting to retain my hydroboost system. I need either a hose that will connect at my stock hydroboost unit and go to the pressure port of the rack OR some sort of connector or adapter to connect my stock hydroboost hose to the pressure port of the rack.

From what I've been able to research, all I know is my hydroboost hose has a 16mm fitting on one end and an 18mm fitting on the other (haven't been able to clearly identify which was at the gearbox). Also, the rack and pinion came with an adapter screwed into the rack that is male -6 AN fitting.

skyphix 04-21-2020 04:55 PM

Re: Hydroboost hose to a rack and pinion ... hose to -6AN fitting?

You should be able to get a 16mmx1.5 or 18mmx1.5 to -6AN fitting easily enough from any vendor that sells those sorts of things. Then its pretty simple to make high pressure capable hoses that should work.

I'm not sure if hot rod fuel hose might have something like that, but I know I was able to find a 16mm x 1.5 to -6AN at Summit.

I am not sure if the hydroboost pumps used were the same then as they are on the LS-series engines, but the hydroboost pump on my 5.3 used 16x1.5 at the high pressure port in the pump.

hatzie 04-21-2020 07:27 PM

Power steering pressure and return hoses are a special flavor of hydraulic hose.
Don't use transmission/oil-cooler or fuel line hose. It won't meet the temperature and pressure specs needed for power steering systems.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36&postcount=2

layinrocker65 04-22-2020 01:25 AM

Assemble your own PTFE -6 hose. Pretty simple.

skyphix 04-22-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8722100)
Power steering pressure and return hoses are a special flavor of hydraulic hose.
Don't use transmission/oil-cooler or fuel line hose. It won't meet the temperature and pressure specs needed for power steering systems.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36&postcount=2

Thats great data and a great note. The temperature ranges are well within normal tolerance - just make sure the braided line that you get for the system is rated to 2000ish psi (which is common and easily available) - then absolutely pressure test before you use it.

G-NUT 04-23-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyphix (Post 8721975)
You should be able to get a 16mmx1.5 or 18mmx1.5 to -6AN fitting easily enough from any vendor that sells those sorts of things. Then its pretty simple to make high pressure capable hoses that should work.

I'm not sure if hot rod fuel hose might have something like that, but I know I was able to find a 16mm x 1.5 to -6AN at Summit.

I am not sure if the hydroboost pumps used were the same then as they are on the LS-series engines, but the hydroboost pump on my 5.3 used 16x1.5 at the high pressure port in the pump.

Thanks for the response.

I have all my hoses lined out except for the high-pressure hose from the hydroboost to the high pressure port on the rack. The hose fitting on the hose from hydroboost to rack is a m18x1.5 male. The rack pressure port is a m14x1.5 female. The kit I have came with a m14x1.5 male to -6 AN male fitting that can be installed in this location.

What I've searched for for days and did not find was a fitting to connect my existing hose to the rack. I needed a connector that was female m18x1.5 to male m14x1.5 OR female m18x1.5 to female -6 AN.

What I ended up ordering to just make my own hose is 3' of Earl's -6 high pressure power steering hose, Earl's -6 AN, 120 degree power steering hose end, Earl's -6 AN, 45 degree power steering hose end, and a Russell -6 AN male to m16x1.5 o-ring power steering adapter.

skyphix 04-23-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-NUT (Post 8723554)
Thanks for the response.

I have all my hoses lined out except for the high-pressure hose from the hydroboost to the high pressure port on the rack. The hose fitting on the hose from hydroboost to rack is a m18x1.5 male. The rack pressure port is a m14x1.5 female. The kit I have came with a m14x1.5 male to -6 AN male fitting that can be installed in this location.

What I've searched for for days and did not find was a fitting to connect my existing hose to the rack. I needed a connector that was female m18x1.5 to male m14x1.5 OR female m18x1.5 to female -6 AN.

What I ended up ordering to just make my own hose is 3' of Earl's -6 high pressure power steering hose, Earl's -6 AN, 120 degree power steering hose end, Earl's -6 AN, 45 degree power steering hose end, and a Russell -6 AN male to m16x1.5 o-ring power steering adapter.

Sounds like a good plan. I found a female m18x1.5 to male m14x1.5 on Amazon, search "Fitting Reducer Metric M18 x 1.5 M18X1.5 Female to M14 x 1.5 M14X1.5 Male Gauge Meter"

G-NUT 04-23-2020 08:35 PM

Nice. If I'd have discovered that before I spent about $100 on hose & fittings I'd have went that route.