The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Cleaning chrome grill trim (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=587616)

bigd65 07-06-2013 10:53 PM

Cleaning chrome grill trim

Well I looked all around for a polishing wheel to put on my grinder to clean and polish the trim.... Well I would up using untr-fine steel wool and turtle wax chrome polish. Just rubbed the old over spray and buffed the rest. When I wiped it off, it came out pretty good, looked better than they did. Shines and no scratches
Posted via Mobile Device

ETsC10 01-13-2014 12:49 AM

Re: Cleaning chrome grill trim

Sounds like a good way to do it. Any pics?

cdowns 01-13-2014 08:40 AM

ace hardware and sears both have polishing wheels in stock on the shelf

piecesparts 01-13-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 6468316)
ace hardware and sears both have polishing wheels in stock on the shelf

You might look at www.autogeek.net. Also Harbor Freight and Eastwood.

bigd65 01-24-2014 09:43 AM

Sorry folks, I just got my truck back from the guy that has had it for 8 months painting it.... A long and sore story... Gotta find someone to fix a couple spots and buff it. Then I will show pictures. He was almost done with it and had replaced the chrome, THEN GOT PAINT ON THEM AGAIN. Well it came off easily, same way.

bigd65 02-01-2014 09:50 AM

Well found someone not afraid to fix someone else problems. Gonna cost about 1k to fix the runs, redo the doors and buff the whole truck.... Then I will get the mirrors and wheel trim on and post some pics. Should be about 1-2 weeks, better than 8 months

Garyhenrich 09-11-2014 09:18 PM

Figured this was as good as spot as any for this question. My grill on my 48 needs to be rechromed. Any idea about how much that would cost? If it's a lot, I thought buying one online would be an option for $350, anyone had experience with buying one? Seems like there are a lot of "new" ones out there, are they really new?. Are any of them good reproductions or are they lighter weight or anything like that?

piecesparts 09-12-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyhenrich (Post 6839585)
Figured this was as good as spot as any for this question. My grill on my 48 needs to be rechromed. Any idea about how much that would cost? If it's a lot, I thought buying one online would be an option for $350, anyone had experience with buying one? Seems like there are a lot of "new" ones out there, are they really new?. Are any of them good reproductions or are they lighter weight or anything like that?

A good re-chrome would cost more than the re-pop grille. Chrome is very expensive, these days. However, it would be the original metal and undoubtedly a lot better quality material in it. What are your plans for the truck? If you want a good clean show truck, then a re-chrome job would be the best choice. If you want a fair looking driver, then consider the re-pop part. Do not let the original get away from you, it is worth money.