The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What car wash soap are you using? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=358705)

72BlckButy 08-20-2009 08:18 AM

What car wash soap are you using?

I hope that no one says Dawn, but what kind of car wash products are you using?

hotrod 80 08-20-2009 12:31 PM

Re: What car wash soap are you using?

Just finished a gallon of meguirs gold class and picked up some blue correl to try out .

cdowns 08-20-2009 12:59 PM

am using turtle wax soap right now i generally look to see if something goes on sale or rebates are good //havent really noticed much difference between brands tho

72BlckButy 08-20-2009 01:23 PM

I have used the blue corral with great results, and I am currently working on a small bottle of Meguair's I received in a gift pack. I think cdowns is right though, I haven't notice much of a change between the products, aside from any real cheap car soap which didn't remove very well.

hotrod 80 08-20-2009 03:14 PM

My wife and daughters keep plenty of car shampoo in the garage . They usaully just buy it when they are at the store , so i get whats on sale . They like clean cars .:lol:

big_al_71 08-20-2009 04:54 PM

Everything for cleaning I use from
http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/
because it is convenient as this is what we sell in my parts dept..:metal:
Great stuff very inexpensive...

PanelDeland 08-23-2009 12:15 PM

I actually use Dawn in the spring.I think it strips most of the old wax off and cleans well.I usually w3ash it again with whatevers on sale then wax as usual.I probably should do it again in the fall but usually just wash well and wax it again.
BTW I usually put 2 coats on each time and some times 3 in the fall,more to make sure I didn't miss a spot than because I think more coats are better.And I usually wash it after waxing and do a final buffing to be sure I don't have residue.

unclewatts 08-30-2009 07:03 PM

I go down to my local market and buy the cheapest, off brand dish soap I can find ($1.99 32 oz. bottle) and I wash my dishes/truck with that. Works great! I use a soft terry cloth rag to wash and a phony-baloney chamois towel to dry. Then I use Turtle wax in the Bottle to wax and I got the shiniest 70 C-10 in town.(maybe the ONLY 70 C-10 in town):lol:

AllenKarber 08-31-2009 09:40 PM

Duragloss 901 or Zaino Bros Z7. I'm about to give Surf City Pacific Blue a try also.

piecesparts 09-01-2009 01:03 PM

I use the mequiars car wash liquid. it is pH balanced and it does not hurt your finish. I purchase it by the gallon and ave money that way.

leddzepp 09-01-2009 01:32 PM

Try Palmolive :lol:

Just kidding. That will eat the wax off your paint faster than anything else.

I use Mark V detailing products. They are a wholesaler to detail shops around here, but also sell to the public.

likaroc13 09-12-2009 11:53 AM

the Meguire's i've used, the suds don't seem to last long

rwolf9653 09-12-2009 04:01 PM

It could be my well water quality, but the meguires has always left the most stubborn water spots on my black paint.:cuss:

I switched to blue coral and still have water spots, but they wipe off a lot easier than they did with the meguires.

72BlckButy 09-15-2009 02:01 PM

rwolf9653... do you have any wax on the vehicle? This might help to keep the water spots from forming on your vehicle. I know what it's like to have a well filled with all kinds of minerals, but have always had good luck with the Meguiar's products.

Mordachai 09-15-2009 02:36 PM

for the dawn and palmolive etc, as long as it's not liquid detergent it's ok.
liquid soap = good
liquid detergent = watch out!

while the liquid detergents will strip wax, they can/will also damage/strip your paint!!!

I typically use whatever inexpensive liquid soap is around.
I think it was 'dial' the last time I washed my truck.

I've used the blue corral too, it was given to me, seemed just like normal soap :haha:
I'm a cheap bastard, so it's usually the cheapest liquid soap...

rwolf9653 09-15-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3519755)
rwolf9653... do you have any wax on the vehicle? This might help to keep the water spots from forming on your vehicle. I know what it's like to have a well filled with all kinds of minerals, but have always had good luck with the Meguiar's products.

I do not wax as religiously as I used to. With jobs and kids and soccer and all there is hardly any time. It is not just the paint that gets the spots though. The windows are left with spots that are hard to even get off with window cleaner. That is why I am leaning towards the water. My water test fine for drinking, but sucks for a clean car.

72BlckButy 09-15-2009 08:44 PM

Have you considered using the Mr Clean Car Wash system? I haven't used one personally but I have a friend that used well water and had great results with it.

hotrod 80 09-16-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3520432)
Have you considered using the Mr Clean Car Wash system? I haven't used one personally but I have a friend that used well water and had great results with it.

I have also heard that the Mr. Clean system works good for well water final rinse .

rwolf9653 09-16-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3520432)

I will give it a try. Thanks.

hotrod 80 09-20-2009 06:40 PM

Used the Blue correl today and it does work good . Has alot of "slickness" to it .

68lwb292 09-21-2009 09:03 PM

I know this is about soap but I thought this was interesting. My uncle read somewhere that you could use pledge as wax and used it on his last new truck he owned for about 4 or 5 years. He claims the clearcoat is basicaly a plastic and thats what pledge is for. We're in the south with alot of bugs plus his truck was silver and it looke like brand new, and that truck never stopped from Alabama to Iowa and back and down to Florida and back many many times and I've personally seen him wash bugs off the front with a water hose. I haven't used it because I don't have anything with paint worth waxing but thought maybe some of you would find it interesting. He swears people are wasting time and money on wax.

rwolf9653 09-21-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68lwb292 (Post 3530929)
I know this is about soap but I thought this was interesting. My uncle read somewhere that you could use pledge as wax and used it on his last new truck he owned for about 4 or 5 years. He claims the clearcoat is basicaly a plastic and thats what pledge is for. We're in the south with alot of bugs plus his truck was silver and it looke like brand new, and that truck never stopped from Alabama to Iowa and back and down to Florida and back many many times and I've personally seen him wash bugs off the front with a water hose. I haven't used it because I don't have anything with paint worth waxing but thought maybe some of you would find it interesting. He swears people are wasting time and money on wax.

This is not the first time I have heard of this. I'm gonna have to try this on my daily driver mpg car.

SMiller 11-09-2009 10:43 PM

I have tryed it all, I like Armor-all car wash soap and McGuire's cleaner wax. I have tryed it all, this works best for me. I wax once a month or more and dirt and dust wipe right off.

72BlckButy 11-10-2009 09:05 AM

I have been using a bottle of Meguiar's with excellent results lately. After waxing, the paint is as smooth as glass.

piecesparts 11-10-2009 12:00 PM

Yep, the Mequiar's pH balanced soap is great for the paint and cleans real well. I use the Wizard's paint sealer and only have to do the paint around twice a year. I have no problems with the winter goo, either.