The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   GMC rare "CONTENDER" trucks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=370767)

factorystock 11-07-2009 03:08 PM

GMC rare "CONTENDER" trucks

3 Attachment(s)
GMC had special promotion trucks too. Here is a "CONTENDER" truck from 1971. In the mid 70's the had the "Gentleman Jim" and "Beau James". The factory built a special run of identical trucks at a special savings to the public.Sound familiar?

leddzepp 11-07-2009 03:14 PM

Re: GMC rare "CONTENDER" trucks

There was a guy at Brothers truck show this year that had a "Gentleman Jim" truck. He was parked close to me and he gave me a lot of background on his truck. I think it was a '77, IIRC. Cool stuff!

prg machine 11-07-2009 03:22 PM

I heard something crazy about an Eddi Bauer edition in green and tan ( Forest colors) What are people thinking anyway?

Was it Ford that had a Harley Davidson edition?

What's the point anyway??

Better yet: who exactly is Eddie Bauer and what does he have to do with trucks?

prg machine 11-07-2009 03:25 PM

Take a close look at the hood / fender line on the truck just behind the guy at the left of the tailgate photo!!

I don't feel so bad about my mismatches now.:lol:

mbgmike 11-07-2009 03:35 PM

I remember those now that you reminded me. One of the plumping companies in my home town had two of those with the Koenig style beds on them painted to match.

mbgmike 11-07-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prg machine (Post 3607301)
I heard something crazy about an Eddi Bauer edition in green and tan ( Forest colors) What are people thinking anyway?

What does Harley and King Ranch have to do with trucks?

100gold 11-07-2009 03:44 PM

I'd be curious as to what the spid says regarding these trucks. Is there an option code?

watahyahknow 11-07-2009 04:10 PM

the term we have for that is : stickertuning

mikey531 11-07-2009 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 3607291)
There was a guy at Brothers truck show this year that had a "Gentleman Jim" truck. He was parked close to me and he gave me a lot of background on his truck. I think it was a '77, IIRC. Cool stuff!

The Gentleman Jim was only made in 1975. It came with A/C, 8 -track, and 350 it was a long bed bucket seats, console, Cibie running lights a tonneau cover Black and Gold paint custom rubber floor mats, and Gentleman Jim graphics on the bed. I traded in a 1971 bronze short box fleetside pickup with 250 six and 3 on the tree. Here are some pictures of mine.

leddzepp 11-07-2009 09:03 PM

Yup! That's the one! His looked exactly like that, so I guess it was a '75 :dohh:

big_al_71 11-07-2009 09:52 PM

wow cool picts, info etc..thks for sharing I learned something new today..

Zoomin 11-07-2009 10:02 PM

Who exactly is Gentleman Jim and what does he have to do with trucks?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman_Jim

http://www.midwestclassiccars.com/in...ages/186_1.jpg

Beu James was a wrestler. Contenders.

ChevLoRay 11-07-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 3607809)
Who exactly is Gentleman Jim and what does he have to do with trucks?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman_Jim

http://www.midwestclassiccars.com/in...ages/186_1.jpg

Beu James was a wrestler. Contenders.

Uhhh, "Jim" was a take on the Jimmy nickname that GMC had been called for years. Seems like Rockford Files was on the tube at the time that the Gentleman Jim package came out. The Beau James edition was blue/white, as I recall. I have a friend who was in the "house note" car business and he bought a repo'd '76 Black/Gold Silverado Chevy LWB in '78, for $900. He recently sold it for $1000, but it wasn't anything you'd want. It was still running, but had been repainted in black and the gold part was Fords' Colonial White. The interior was still the original, but worn out....buckskin colored vinyl bench seat. Not the buckets that were in the one above. Come to think of it, it was a Chevy, not a GMC but it was colored just like the Gentleman Jim above. So, what did Chevy call their version? I remember the Spirit of '76 White trucks with blue/red interior as well as the Big 10 and Heavy Half trucks.

As for the Contender package I remember seeing some Chevy/GMC's with the green and gold/yellow paint combo but didn't see anything with a Contender decal.

67ChevyRedneck 11-07-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prg machine (Post 3607306)
Take a close look at the hood / fender line on the truck just behind the guy at the left of the tailgate photo!!

I don't feel so bad about my mismatches now.:lol:

It just looks to me like the hoods been popped and not pushed back down.

rscam 11-07-2009 11:03 PM

I think the blue and silver is a Beau James. The black and gold were the Gentleman Jims. That Blue and silver looks like it says Beau James to me. Although I can't read it the letters on the side are farther back than the Jim truck.

Ilike 72"s 11-07-2009 11:14 PM

I was looking at a 1967 GMC pickup that the guy said was a Burl Ives edition. I think I can find a picture.--Dennis

rogergodding 11-07-2009 11:19 PM

now I know why GMC's have four eyes!!!

special-K 11-07-2009 11:22 PM

I don`t believe I`ve ever heard of the Contenders.The newer ones,yes.

What do the Sierra Grandes or the Cheyenne Indian tribe or a city in WY have to do with trucks?BTW,Eddie Bauer is an out door garment and sleeping bag outfitter known,originally,for fine goose down products.

Ilike 72"s 11-07-2009 11:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
found the pictures of the Burl Ives edition. Has the Christmas look with the plad valve covers.

Todd327 11-08-2009 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilike 72"s (Post 3608026)
found the pictures of the Burl Ives edition. Has the Christmas look with the plad valve covers.

Please tell me this is a joke. If there really is a Burl Ives Edition of our truck I may have a new sick obsession on my hands. I must have one!
Oh-Oh! I have been had! http://www.6066gmcguy.org/GMCplaid.htm

1969 GMC 11-08-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prg machine (Post 3607301)

better yet? what does your post have to do with the OP?

the eddie bauer is/was offered on Fords. I used to have a '96 F150 with the "eddie bauer" package, which (as far as i could tell) was the same as a normal F150, but had eddie bauer decals on the sides and an eddie bauer emblem on the dashboard. it was a straight six/5 speed/4x4 truck, not many frills except pw, pdl, and a/c.

eddie bauer is a faux-outdoorsy clothing store, although i think they USED to make actual camping stuff. one of my friends has an eddie bauer backpack (the kind with the frame and hipbelt for actual trekking) but it is from at least the late 70's.

weasel29gm 11-08-2009 07:43 AM

Bought a 77 LUV, that had the ''Mighty Mike'' package. I didn't know who "Mike'' was and nothin' "Mighty'' about the truck!!! LOL!! Stickers and stripes don't make a ride

Longhorn Man 11-08-2009 09:21 AM

wow.... can we get any further off topic?
umm... i have mooneyes stickers on my suburban.
:crazy:

Shane 11-08-2009 10:27 AM

Who is Beau James and what does he have to do with trucks?

A truck named after a book? Seriously, a book?

factorystock 11-08-2009 11:16 AM

All these special promotion trucks were known as "limited editions". There is no need for the factory to take orders on these trucks because they were already built.The dealer would just sell a "specially equipped" vehicle and a better price than you can buy individually, and throw in some eye candy to promote there brand. This would be the most efficient way of making the whole venture profitable. A win win situtation, the dealer is happy to move the vehicle, and the customer gets a better deal, assuming you like the paint color.