The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   dantimdad's 66c10 budget resto mod (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507266)

dantimdad 01-14-2013 12:13 AM

Re: dantimdad's 66c10 budget resto mod

Removed the rear step from the donor last night.

Today I stripped everything off of the donor except the windshield. Going to leave it until we move the cab onto my frame.

Also, my son removed the crappy floor patches that had been pop riveted in.

There is way more rust in the floor than I expected but still less than 50% of the rust on the old cab.

The plan is to leave the cab on the SWB frame like a jig until all the patching is done. Then, lift it with the engine hoist and spray undercoating and finally, roll out the SWB frame and roll the finished frame under it for good.

We are going to start by straightening out the top edge of the donor bumper, have it blasted and paint it. It'll get stored for a while then.

I have got to get as many parts stripped, primed and painted as I can to store them out of the way.

Steven

dantimdad 01-21-2013 06:28 PM

Started drawing out a cab dolly today.

I want to be able to work on all sides of the cab and have it roll around. I am going to make it to where it can roll on it's face back and sides.

Will post pics and measurements when I am done.

Steven

dantimdad 02-09-2013 10:08 PM

Removed the PS rocker, will order rocker panel, backer and door post bottom this week.

Also dropped of the dealer step bumper to be refurbed by a buddy of mine.

Started on my crazy project using the raised arrow section of the old hood.

Will post pics tomorrow.

Steven

Ta2Don 03-07-2013 11:17 AM

Just went through your build, that cab was a solid buy! Subscribed! Have fun with your build.

dantimdad 03-07-2013 12:00 PM

Thanks!

I got the engine all painted sans valve covers.

I also got my hoist back from my buddy and am putting in the drive train this weekend so I can fab the crossmember for the trans.

Funds are limited now so I have to work on other stuff rather than put in the rear gas tank and lines.

I am taking pictures of the rust repair and will post a start to finish when I get the passenger side done.

Steven

dantimdad 03-08-2013 03:46 PM

I am going to cut up the SWB frame into a cab dolly next weekend if nobody says they are interested in it.

Steven

Bomp 03-11-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantimdad (Post 5934835)
I am going to cut up the SWB frame into a cab dolly next weekend if nobody says they are interested in it.

Steven

Interested in it but I'm too far away.
Posted via Mobile Device

dantimdad 03-11-2013 09:48 PM

Yep, that's the problem. Everyone who wants it are too far away.

Steven

dantimdad 05-25-2014 11:45 PM

I haven't done anything to the truck in almost 10 months! I got laid off, took a job that didn't go full time as promised. Laid off again. Now I have a full time permanent salaried job that pays well. I am going to be back on the truck within a few weeks... after I catch up the bills.

We are cleaning out the carport tomorrow so I can set the cab on the frame again and begin the patching. It's fully supported so it doesn't warp or distort.

The only thing that did get done in the last few months is I was given a grill in better shape than mine and my buddy refurbed the factory bumper.

I will post pics as soon as work begins again.

Steven

dantimdad 05-25-2014 11:50 PM

Major things I still need:

Patch Panels for the floors, rockers and lower door pillars.
Rear gas tank.
Glass for the windshield and rear BBW.
Wiring harness.
Fuel and brake lines.
6 lug steel wheels and baby moon caps. (My friend is going to hook me up with tires so those will be free if I go black wall and about half price if I go wide whites)

I have all the upholstery stuff and paint supplies except for the base/clear. There are a ton of little things but that will come in time.

step65 05-26-2014 06:11 PM

Good to see you are starting back up on your truck. Doing a truck project sure has showed me one thing, patience it never goes as fast as I want.

Bomp 05-31-2014 10:22 PM

Nice that things came around and truck time is once again.

dantimdad 05-31-2014 10:42 PM

Thanks!

Anyone no who sells the best fitting rocker panels?

I was looking at top banana but I'm not sure.

Steven

Ta2Don 06-01-2014 08:10 AM

:welcome2: Back!!!
Glad to hear the ball is rolling in the right direction again!!!

From everything I've seen and heard about Top Banana, they seem to have the best panels available…;)

dantimdad 06-01-2014 09:45 PM

Thanks for the input Don!

Steven

likaroc13 06-01-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6701224)
Nice that things came around and truck time is once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6701516)
:welcome2: Back!!!
Glad to hear the ball is rolling in the right direction again!!!

:agree: :chevy:

dantimdad 06-01-2014 10:32 PM

Thanks guys!

We rounded up all the suspension parts today that we had. I have somehow misplaced my spindles. UGH! We looked everywhere and can't find 'em.

I am wondering if they came back from the blast booth when my buddy took them. If not, they are long gone by now. I honestly don't remember painting them and everything got blasted and painted within two days to avoid rust when it came back.

This maybe an excuse to switch to disc brakes but that will add more wait time for $$$. I will start looking for a mid 70's cross member with everything still attached to make it an easier swap I guess.

Let me know if you guys here of one within a couple hours drive time from me.

Steven

TJ's Chevy 06-02-2014 10:16 AM

Hey welcome back! Just read through the build! Looks awesome! Glad its up an rolling again! :metal:

dantimdad 06-02-2014 11:26 PM

Thanks! But, the frame won't roll out of the way until I find spindles or a new crossmember! :)

The plan is to finish the frame assembly, plumb it, mount a rear gas tank and then roll it out and wrap it in tarps. Then we start on the cab. Even if we have to rebuild the whole thing, which we won't, it's not a big deal. The hood is done so are the inner fenders, grill support and the driver side fender. It's going to be a flat bed so we really aren't that far off of paint.

Steven

dantimdad 07-16-2014 09:36 AM

UPDATE!

I decided to go ahead and work on what I have the materials for and got the surround for the flatbed cut out. I then had to figure out what tail lights I was going to use because I wanted to do the fab work necessary for them before I welded everything up.

Here is what I am using:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...psee826f37.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps49c7796a.jpg

I will obviously get new trim rings and lenses. This was just for test fitting. I will also media blast the buckets to clean them up and get new sockets.

I think it is going to look great when done.

I do need to figure out what to do for reverse lights now. I held up the originals and didn't like it at all. I want them mounted to where they don't show too much.

dantimdad 07-16-2014 09:43 AM

I forgot to mention: I found my long lost spindles!

I also am getting a tilt column, power steering box, pump and brackets from a buddies stash of parts off a 78. $150.

Steven

1963c-10 07-16-2014 09:49 AM

Great progress so far. Just caught up on the last couple of pages. I like the direction of this build!!

TJ's Chevy 07-16-2014 10:28 AM

Looking good! Glad you found the spindles!

dantimdad 07-16-2014 03:05 PM

Thanks guys!

Now, to finish putting the front suspension together and find a set of 6 lug steel wheels. Then I can roll the chassis out of the way and start on the cab.

Steven

dantimdad 07-16-2014 03:07 PM

BTW, TJ, I love your build!

I will take a look at your build, 63 c10, tonight.

Steven