The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rods N' Wheels / George Barris disappointment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=615655)

Sillyoldman 02-07-2014 09:35 PM

Rods N' Wheels / George Barris disappointment

1 Attachment(s)
I stayed up last night to watch this "new" show Rods N' Wheels. I really don't know if it was the first episode or not but for me it will be my last. Owning a 1967 Buick Special the episode which aired last night caught my attention. I watched in disgust as they shot the car up with paintballs (drama/action) and then sent it out for body work. When it came back they decided to clone it as a GS for a higher profit. They tossed on some later model (I assume Buick (too busy vomiting) hood scoops and incorrect badges onto it. They neglected to replace the grille too but proceeded to sell it off (staged i'm sure) as a GS. As a "car guy" I'm insulted. What audience did they expect would tune in? A honest, no drama, no BS show would get my attention. And to George Barris, when did you lose your mind? I'm hoping you just need a few bucks. If so, call me..... For now I'm insulted.

Stocker 02-08-2014 12:46 AM

Re: Rods N' Wheels / George Barris disappointment

Typical TV "car" show, too much drama & crapola. Their commercials gave me hope for decent programming, but no, they just had to make it like most others. I'll probably watch it again, hoping for better..... also because even a mediocre car show is better than anything else on TV. Darn it, I watch too much TV anymore.....

Andy4639 02-08-2014 08:27 AM

I haven't watched one of those shows in a while! I just hate them. Monkey garage whatever it's called is all BS.;):chevy:

slowcpe 02-08-2014 10:41 AM

I watch just about all the car shows and spend some time defending most of them. After all it's entertainment and not "reality". However this show is horrible. These guys clearly have no idea what they are doing and have little to no taste.

special-K 02-08-2014 11:20 AM

This is the worst show yet. Just a cheap knock-off on Gas Monkey. It rubbed me the wrong way as soon as they made the highly falsely fabricated claim for this guy to be the "SoCal hot rod king". What a kick in the face to the founding fathers and the decades of great builders since and STILL! This guy admits he's tried a little bit of everything,including Hollywood. Well talk about working from the top down,there ya go! While he was out trying a little bit of everything...before he "discovered" car building (if he actually ever has)...before he was born,there has existed a whole culture of hot rod builders. Way too many to list. A guy brings a decent Deuce Coupe in with $42k to blow and the "hot rod king" flinches and states normally it would tale $100k to build one. Let's not forget what it cost to buy this car. Even a "credit card king" could "have" the car built for far less. People say these shows help keep the hobby going for future generations? How's that,when all they do is make the hobby unaffordable for the generation that grew up building hot rods? The next generation learns from real world action right in a neighborhood garage,not on the couch in front of a tv,just like generations past.

crossfire84 02-08-2014 11:36 AM

just another show not to watch!

Sillyoldman 02-08-2014 11:39 AM

It's funny that everything is farmed out except for swapping wheels & tires. I really need to find a pic of that Skylark (cough-cough Grand Sport) sporting those hideous scoops and grille.:lol:

Stocker 02-08-2014 11:59 AM

I don't remember the grille (I don't know Buicks very well) but I was appalled when they stuck those goofy hood scoops on.... and the GS emblems.

Bomp 02-08-2014 12:14 PM

Wifey turned it on for me, "Look Honey, a car show for you to watch",,, 2 minutes in I was done.
In my upbringing I was taught not to slam doors, hoods or deck lids. No feet on the dash. Don't draw on fogged up windows. Don't eat in the car. And by all means DO NOT WRITE ON A PIECE OF PAPER WITH A PEN USING THE CAR AS A DESK!!!
These so called 'car show entertainer guys' aren't allowed in my house let alone on my tv.

Daddy'O 02-08-2014 05:35 PM

I agree with everyone's responses. I managed to watch the whole episode and was not impressed. I will try one more (purely for entertainment reasons) but as of now it will not get any priorty on the DVR.

Come on Andy - don't be hate'n. BS and all, that Fast and Loud (gas monkey garage) show always makes me laugh. :lol:

CG 02-08-2014 07:01 PM

Typical crap show. I still like Chasing Classic Cars though, and the new one, Americarna is pretty good, I don't see that one going to crap.

Right now though Im watching a rerun of the Super Bowl :metal:

chuckmc8 02-08-2014 07:16 PM

This one is the worst.......who watches the pilots of these and thinks car guys will like the show?

Stocker 02-08-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckmc8 (Post 6515708)
This one is the worst.......who watches the pilots of these and thinks car guys will like the show?

Something tells me they're not aiming for the "car guy" demographic anyway. They're simply hoping for volume....

lowrodderchev 02-08-2014 08:18 PM

please don't put down the show its the greatest thing on TV next to American idol :) YEAH RIGHT!!! my wife even said " what idiot would dent the crap out of a old car with a paintball gun" low and behold 20 minutes later into episode there paying for there BS i watch it only so I could laugh :)

butternut1972 02-08-2014 08:37 PM

I made it 10 mins and couldn't take it anymore. Worst one yet for sure.

Sillyoldman 02-08-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 6515681)
Typical crap show. I still like Chasing Classic Cars though, and the new one, Americarna is pretty good, I don't see that one going to crap.

Right now though Im watching a rerun of the Super Bowl :metal:

I just finished watching the game for the third time. Not sure what to watch Sunday hmmm:lol:

Has anyone seen pics of the GS Scoops? I sure can't find one.

kcsa75 02-08-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy'O (Post 6515581)
I agree with everyone's responses. I managed to watch the whole episode and was not impressed. I will try one more (purely for entertainment reasons) but as of now it will not get any priorty on the DVR.

Come on Andy - don't be hate'n. BS and all, that Fast and Loud (gas monkey garage) show always makes me laugh. :lol:

:agree:

Wayne, you've got to something about that avatar! :)

special-K 02-09-2014 10:03 AM

I'm feeling remorse for my negative post above. How judgmental. Only watched part of one show and I had all that to say? I really had to take a hard look at myself and wonder if maybe I could be the problem here. Even though my schedule is crazy busy all day and into the night,I made an appointment with a therapist for next week...and made sure it was during the time that show comes on! :lol:

midniteblues 02-09-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcsa75 (Post 6516016)
:agree:

when i first saw it i got a good laugh but now it is getting a lil' disturbing:lol:

68panelman 02-09-2014 10:24 AM

If the show does make it, It will surely follow the demise of the father/son arguing that ruined the family of bike builders in Orange Co NY.

Daddy'O 02-09-2014 10:45 AM

I don't think we have to worry about the show making it. These silly network execs seem to always be jumping on bandwagons copying other successful shows. How many vampire, motorcycle, swamp, alligator, gold mining, car restoration, pawn, storage, barn finding/picking, zombie shows do these execs think we need? Seems only the originals stick around the longest.

I'll try one more episode to give it fair shake - if it doesn't satisfy - then it's over for me and I will be joining therapy with Tim.

PanelDeland 02-09-2014 11:55 AM

It just amazes me what passes for TV these days.Last night I was channel surfing and happened across a show on Discovery channel.The guy travels the US building treehouses.The one I saw had a budget? of $80,000 for a freaking Treehouse?
I just cannot understand how people justify that.And more to the point I did like his treehouse but can't see myself becoming a regular viewer.

Sicklajoie 02-09-2014 12:49 PM

I'm going to DVR it just for the sake of watching this train wreck at least once.

BR3W CITY 02-09-2014 02:57 PM

George Barris is an icon, but thats all. The era of "freak" cars is bygone, fiberglassing is cool but has largely given way to either plastics or carbon fiber, either for strength or cost.

This is another useless attempt to slap a famous name on a junk show.

Graveyard Carz, Counting Cars, Car Wars, and on and on and on...

Discovery Network; please stop.

zeldman 02-09-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcsa75 (Post 6516016)

I showed that picture to my wife. She started crying and asked me what kind of parent would put a picture of their poor little girl on a public site. She thinks you should take her to a doctor for help. :lol:

I missed the show, but I also dont watch any of the other so called car shows. Even NASCAR has lost my interest with the electronic fuel injection. But I also said the same thing when power steering made its way to race cars.