The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hot Food (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=801648)

FleetsidePaul 02-23-2020 04:18 AM

Hot Food

I like hot spicy food. And I can usually handle it. The hotter the better. But I met my match. A very innocuous unassuming little bag of Ramen. I had to set my spoon down and give up. My mouth was on fire and the burning wasn't going away. My wife took one bite and her mouth burned for 20 minutes.

Now I've eaten Ghost Peppers, Habanero's. You name it. But this made me raise the white flag and surrender. I couldn't finish it. Even though it was absolutely delicious. It just set my head on fire. My eyeballs were sweating.

I'm going to order some more. Glutton for punishment. It's like a drug.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00/samyang.jpg

mongocanfly 02-23-2020 04:33 AM

Re: Hot Food

ha...ive never understood why people subject theirselves to this torture

YBNORML 02-23-2020 04:52 AM

I like spicy for flavour, but not for punishment.
Guess I’m a bit of a wimp.

Ol Blue K20 02-23-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8682939)

I don't understand it either

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 8682940)
I like spicy for flavour, but not for punishment.
Guess I’m a bit of a wimp.

A little Tapitio and I'm good. I'm good with being a wimp

special-K 02-23-2020 09:58 AM

Spicy food is good for you. I love spicy food and it causes me no pain... 99% of the time. I don't go for all I can take, but I can take plenty. I go first for flavor and heat is good. Some sauces are all about how hot they are. Those are good for having fun, the social aspect, but not part of my diet. Those are the ones people give me.

But it's those peppers they use in Chinese food that are killer. All this hoopla about these various peppers from Central America and China's got the killers. I don't even know what they are called. I don't know why they are on my plate! You dang sure don't want to eat one, let alone touch your lip with one or touch it and rub your nose!! There is no cure. Just 20-30 minutes of agony on contact

Stocker 02-23-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8682966)
I don't understand it either

Yessir, maybe a bit of Tabasco now & then but that's about it.

When my daughter was maybe 5-6 years old, she wanted to try Tabasco. I cautioned her and she took to it like a duck to water. Ended up putting it on nearly everything until her food was orange.
She would take it straight from the bottle onto her tongue. No ill effects ever. I couldn't understand it.... :crazy:

67ChevyRedneck 02-23-2020 10:21 AM

Not for me, I hate hot food. What goes in hot, comes out hot. I don't even go higher than "mild" on my salsa.

I tried Nashville Hot Chicken, it made me so painfully sick...

You are a brave man :lol:

special-K 02-23-2020 10:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
There are so many good sauces. I have ones for Mexican, Southern, Cajun, BBQ, etc. The old stand by is El Yucateco and it is au-thentic. My current favorite is their Carribean. Never saw it until this year, but it's the kind I tend to like most. More orange than red with a touch of fruit.
Attachment 1985011

Believe it or not, right here in Frederick, MD we have McCutcheon's who are an old remaining canning plant known mostly for their apple cider and apple products. They make an assortment of preserves, dressings, and sauces and some of the best hot sauces ever
Attachment 1985012
Attachment 1985013
Attachment 1985014

And Screaming Hornets isn't as scary hot as they make it appear. Just right! They are all fairly hot. Just use a little if you don't want the heat

davischevy 02-23-2020 10:47 AM

I too like it hot. Mexican Villa Restaraunts' in Springfield have some hot salsa.

When I was younger I ate it straight, but as my stomach got older I had to start mixing it with the mild salsa.

weq92f 02-23-2020 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And

Steeveedee 02-23-2020 10:55 AM

II used to like it hot. One time in a Chinese restaurant, I had the "Shredded Pork in Garlic Sauce". Now, you can pick those peppers in the Kung Pao style out, but they are ground up in the pork dish. My friend says, "Your face is all red!". I was sweating, too. It was really good. Now, if it's a little too spicy, I get the hiccups, so I gave up on it.

FleetsidePaul 02-23-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8682939)

Easy answer. I like it. :)

I have an easier time with the hot peppers that the mild ones. Bell peppers and Pepperoncini's will mess with my digestion and they're not even hot.

I have a friend that can eat the hottest peppers like they're candy. They have no effect on him.

I'm with you Tim. I've had hot sauces that were just hot.They didn't taste good. They were just hot. I bought a bottle of that "Insanity Sauce' I thought it was awful and threw it out.

This is my new favorite. It has fruit in it. It gives it a great flavor.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/..._Hot_Sauce.jpg

Followed by this one. They are both very good.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/.../Frog_Bone.jpg

richard2717 02-23-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8682966)

Tapitio is my favorite daily sauce. Our local mexican restaurant also has a home made hot sauce that they bring out with my wifes fish tacos that is real good but a bit like moonshine...... best used in moderation.

DPowers 02-23-2020 12:42 PM

Where you order from?

YBNORML 02-23-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8682986)
Yessir, maybe a bit of Tabasco now & then but that's about it.

When my daughter was maybe 5-6 years old, she wanted to try Tabasco. I cautioned her and she took to it like a duck to water. Ended up putting it on nearly everything until her food was orange.
She would take it straight from the bottle onto her tongue. No ill effects ever. I couldn't understand it.... :crazy:

I have an uncle who’s like that. He’s in law enforcement and when he was subjected to the pepper spray tests. (They all have to go through it before being certified to carry) It also had no effect. Really ticked off his fellow classmates:smoke:

FleetsidePaul 02-23-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPowers (Post 8683090)

Where you order from?

Good old Amazon.

I originally bought it just for the flavor packets for Nashville hot chicken. (Sorry Jesse) But my wife has been complaining about my food being too hot. So I just ate it myself. It was hotter than Hades eating it. But no problems on the other side. Thank you Lord.

mongocanfly 02-23-2020 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Texas Pete is my hot sauce of choice....
Have your ever tried one of the hot doritos that come in a coffin ?

DeadheadNM 02-23-2020 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bufalo chilpotle sauce is worth trying if you like a little spice and smoke.

PanelDeland 02-23-2020 06:03 PM

I don't eat hot often anymore since it's started to really affect me but I do a lot of Mexican (authentic not Texmex). My uncle was given a jar of peppers by a co-worker many years ago. He was Hispanic and went to Mexico and brought back two divided coke crates full of the seedlings. They were canned with onion and a slice of carrot.
They were so spicy that when my aunt opened them in the kitchen, we all left the house with our eyes streaming tears. He had another co-worker who ate one with every meal. A few years later I worked with a guy who carried a baggie of Chile Pequinos in his pocket and ate them like M&Ms.

FleetsidePaul 02-24-2020 05:33 AM

I used to grow peppers in pots. I had a Habanero pepper plant that really put them out. Very hot and I had them coming out of my ears. So I took some to work to give away. I bet a loud mouth at work 20 bucks that he couldn't eat one. He took the bet. (Sucker)

He didn't make it half way through. His face was all contorted. And he was sweating. He was in pain. He couldn't do it. And then on top of all that... He had to pay me 20 bucks. :D Ha Ha..I'm such an A-hole.

special-K 02-24-2020 06:56 AM

That Bufalo is another authentic Mexican sauce. goo-ood. Some sauces you drizzle in while you eat and others it's spot by spot in the whole batch as you cook.

rpmerf 02-24-2020 08:09 AM

I got a bottle of McCutcheon's Vidalia Onion for Christmas. Haven't opened it yet. I probably have 10 bottles on the shelf I haven't opened yet.

My favorite sauces are the Habanero sauces. I've found my 'sweet spot' is around 30-50K scoville. Hot enough that I can get some burn, but not so hot that I can only use 1 drop. Still in a range where you tend to get some good flavor.

My favorites are Blair's Original and Muerte sauce.
https://www.hotsauce.com/blairs-orig...with-chipotle/
https://www.hotsauce.com/blairs-sals...-con-chipotle/

I had some Maddog 357 sauce once. Stupid hot, and doesn't even taste good. Like eating a pepper spray. I bet a loud mouth he couldn't drink a bit out of a shot glass. Like 5 people put in money for him to do it. He took the bet, then spend the next hour hugging the toilet.

My cousin loves Dave's Insanity sauce. He can eat it like it is nothing.

Palf70Step 02-24-2020 08:39 AM

My backside hurts just thinking of all this stuff yinz are consuming. I know I am a big wimp when it comes to spices and real hot foods. Although, I have yet to meet anything that comes close to the winter kimchi I had in Osan, Korea. First time I ever heard toilet water sizzle. :haha: :devil:

67ChevyRedneck 02-24-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8683556)
I have yet to meet anything that comes close to the winter kimchi I had in Osan, Korea. First time I ever heard toilet water sizzle. :haha: :devil:

I have no comment other than :lol: :lol: :lol:

special-K 02-24-2020 10:13 AM

Kept the TP in the freezer, didja?