The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   The 'Optional' yellow and black wire on a Current Performance Harness (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=843415)

Paul Y 04-01-2023 02:41 PM

The 'Optional' yellow and black wire on a Current Performance Harness

Evening all,

Still chipping away at my LS swap and now have stumped myself.

Quick bit of back ground

Using an LM7 out of a 2005 Silverado and a T56. The harness is from Current Performance and was originally set up for a 4L60E. I have de pinned the auto part of the harness and removed it.

I have had the engine running outside the vehicle just using the switched power (pink) wire - ignored the yellow and black wire which is the cranking signal wire.

Now I have got the engine in my truck I have a question. Do I need to run the cranking signal wire?

The documentation from Current Performance says it is 'option' and says the following re manual gearbox

"On vehicles with manual transmissions or automatic transmissions without a neutral/safety switch, this wire should be routed through a clutch safety switch, or shifter mounted switch to prevent the starter from operating in gear"

As I have been driving manual gearbox vehicles since I was 9 I trust myself enough to not start the vehicle in gear unless I want too!

Think I have answered my own question. I can delete it but would appreciate the sanity check from you bright sparks!

Thanks,

P. :D

LS short box 04-01-2023 04:37 PM

Re: The 'Optional' yellow and black wire on a Current Performance Harness

Back in the day we used to jump the clutch switch so you didn't have to push in the clutch to start. So I would say no not needed.

Paul Y 04-02-2023 06:59 AM

Yea, that was my thinking.

Of course I have fully wrapped the loom so a quick snip with the side cutters is on the Cards!

P.:D

ls1nova71 04-03-2023 10:19 AM

I watched a guy in a '41 Willys gasser start it in gear at a car show once, went right into the car in front of it... Only takes one moment of inattention...

biketopia 04-05-2023 12:18 PM

seems easy enough to wire up the correct way....

Paul Y 04-07-2023 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biketopia (Post 9193792)
seems easy enough to wire up the correct way....

If I had the clutch switch I probably would but, as I don’t pretty sure I can do without it….

P. :D