The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Big Block Build is what I'm calling mine. New pics inside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=259536)

1BAD65 01-31-2013 01:36 AM

Re: Big Block Build is what I'm calling mine. New pics inside

subscribed

Chevy Fleetside 05-02-2013 06:16 PM

I think I am going to get some time next week to work on the truck. I did jack it up so I could run the fuel line but now have to run it in a differnt way. I really want to find a tank with a fuel pump already inside but for now i have an external.

gofastnut 05-02-2013 08:05 PM

Hey Chevy Fleetside,
You are doing some really nice work! I kinda know what it's like since I'm doing a tiny bit of work to mine as I get time and $ to do it. I picked up a 454 & 049 heads last week, but don't want to make mine a non-runner to fit everything together. Guess I'll have to man up and do it soon.
Keep up the (really) good work!

JWheeler331 05-02-2013 10:15 PM

Very nice.

Chevy Fleetside 07-13-2013 06:25 PM

I put tranny fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant in the truck today and started it for the first time in over 6 years. The 89 BB had the lobe for a machanical fuel pump ( I put a q jet on it) and it works just fine. Oh did I mention I put fuel in it also.. :D It purrs and on the first try.. Had a few tranny leaks. I forgot to tighten the cooler lines and I dont have a gear in for the speedo cable.. OOPS... :uhmk: Bone Yard here I come. It is a 700R4 tranny from my 4x4. I put an output shaft in it. I had a big :D on my face for the first time in a long time. Now I just need to get it buttoned up so I can drive it.

MisterC 07-14-2013 12:21 PM

Very nice. Must be nice to reach the end of this journey. Congrats!

Chevy Fleetside 07-27-2013 10:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just have to add a few pics to my thread. Battery box in and headlights working.. yay... :metal:

ChiefRocka 07-27-2013 10:16 PM

Nice ... but you might need a few tie straps ....

Chevy Fleetside 07-27-2013 10:37 PM

I still need a side terminal battery and then I will tidy up the wires.. The yellow wire is the fuel pump wire which will not be used for that but maybe to power my power antenna.

gulfcoast66 07-28-2013 10:14 AM

Looking real good Bro, I'm glad for you too see it come together after a long wait!! Trust me I know the feeling been waiting on mine since 2007 also.... I'm Digging that Color what is it?? Great clean Work!!!! :cong:
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevy Fleetside 07-29-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulfcoast66 (Post 6193383)
Looking real good Bro, I'm glad for you too see it come together after a long wait!! Trust me I know the feeling been waiting on mine since 2007 also.... I'm Digging that Color what is it?? Great clean Work!!!! :cong:
Posted via Mobile Device

When I bought the first gallon it was GM Medium Blue. When I needed more it was a Safire Blue. Same color differnt name. At least I have the formula. The front acually has a Violet Pearl on it from the ghost flames.

gulfcoast66 07-29-2013 11:38 AM

Yeah Man that Blue with the Purple Pearl is Killer up front plus the Shiny Chrome, Lovin it Cuz..... :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevy Fleetside 08-09-2013 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was afraid that when I put the trans back together I didn't seat the band in properly. If so the trans would not shift. It kinda felt like the truck had drag.
So today I just said the heck with it and pulled it out of the garage (open headers and all) and just did a u turn at the bottom of the hill. It didn't shift in that small distance. I though ok going to have to pull the pan off the tranny. Well as I was coming back up the hill I gassed it and let off and as soon as I did that is shifted into 2nd. Yay... Now I just have to wait untill the end of the month to get my new Reg stickers. I already added it to my insurance. There is still alot of adjusting to do. it felt nice to drive it.. even if it was only 500 ft.

Chevy Fleetside 08-31-2013 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is time to roll. Acually I do want to put the bed on and maybe some Mufflers before I drive it around. :lol:

Chevy Fleetside 09-15-2013 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice to be able to take it out again. ;)

Rich 5150 69 09-16-2013 12:30 AM

I know its been a while for you, glad to see it back on the road John..!

Chevy Fleetside 10-26-2013 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered a 800 CFM carb for the BB... Should make it run even better.

Roll'nSlo 03-13-2014 01:51 PM

Looking good. You have done a lot of great work. Now I need to get started with mine.

ChiefRocka 03-13-2014 04:21 PM

Good job !!

AcampoDave 04-29-2014 11:33 PM

Did you get the Tank's inc universal installed yet? 'm curious to see how you bolted up the straps. I started on mine today.

Chevy Fleetside 04-30-2014 12:39 AM

I started it but have not had any time to finish it. The tank is going into my work truck. I am still thinking about where to put the straps. I might get some time to do it next week.

1963c-10 04-30-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside (Post 2370612)
I got the Headers Thursday and tried fitting them tonight. Seems for me to get the left one in I will have to take the plugs out and I have to cut the frame a little for more clearance on the right side as you can see in this picture. They will bolt up but 1/16 of an inch clearance from the frame is not enough. I still have to patch the firewall on the left side also...

Did you trim the frame front the motor mount back to the cab for clearance? Im at the point where I'm ready to do the frame mods and it'd be nice to know where to trim prior to engine/frame mock up. Thanks in advance for any help. And I'm guessing about 1/4" - 3/8" to trim?

NONHOG 04-30-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside (Post 6333277)
I ordered a 800 CFM carb for the BB... Should make it run even better.

Who did you get it from and do you like it?

Chevy Fleetside 04-30-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6652975)
Did you trim the frame front the motor mount back to the cab for clearance? Im at the point where I'm ready to do the frame mods and it'd be nice to know where to trim prior to engine/frame mock up. Thanks in advance for any help. And I'm guessing about 1/4" - 3/8" to trim?

For the motor mounts I trimmed back about 1/2 inch. I used the rear holes but cut the firewall. As for the headers... I just put them in and made some marks on where to trim the frame. I think I just used a grinder. It wasn't very much if I can remember.

Chevy Fleetside 04-30-2014 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 6653204)
Who did you get it from and do you like it?

The carb in the picture was the wrong carb. I acually sent it back and got the right carb for my application. It seems to work very well and I got it from Summit Raciing. I got the one with the electric choke. This one.. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/je...1/applications