The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Painting 71 suburban (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813126)

04ls1gto 10-12-2020 07:53 PM

Painting 71 suburban

I am having the body of my Suburban blasted, how many gallons of epoxy primer do I need to cover outside and inside?

mongocanfly 10-12-2020 09:35 PM

Re: Painting 71 suburban

id think a min of 2gal..
i think I used almost 3 on my truck..but I did everything, frame and all..theres a decent recoat window for epoxy, so if you run short you can get more to finish if needed...unless your buying off the net..a burb has a lot of surface area

nsb29 10-13-2020 07:58 AM

If you’re just doing the exterior of the suburban 1 gallon of SPI makes 2 gallons on reduced I think would be enough but if you’re doing the inside of everything you would probably need to buy 2 gallons which will make you 4 I painted the upper half Which was the roof and upper part of the doors on my friend 64 suburban and it took a gallon With a 4/2/1 Reduction which makes you a gallon and 3/4 I gave it four coats

04ls1gto 10-13-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8821762)
If you’re just doing the exterior of the suburban 1 gallon of SPI makes 2 gallons on reduced I think would be enough but if you’re doing the inside of everything you would probably need to buy 2 gallons which will make you 4 I painted the upper half Which was the roof and upper part of the doors on my friend 64 suburban and it took a gallon With a 4/2/1 Reduction which makes you a gallon and 3/4 I gave it four coats

thanks, I think ill get 2 gallons and reducer to be on the safe side

HAULIN' IT 10-13-2020 08:52 PM

What kind of "blasting" are you having done?

04ls1gto 10-13-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT (Post 8822076)
What kind of "blasting" are you having done?

Not sure the media he is using but be does a combo of wet and dry

mongocanfly 10-13-2020 11:17 PM

Hopefully he won't warp your body panels...they used coal slag on mine..it worked great, but they still messed my door la else up...I've got more hrs in repairing them than I do in all the rest of the trucks body work.
Sad thing is they were perfect when I dropped them off..

HAULIN' IT 10-14-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8822140)
Hopefully he won't warp your body panels...they used coal slag on mine..it worked great, but they still messed my door la else up...I've got more hrs in repairing them than I do in all the rest of the trucks body work.
Sad thing is they were perfect when I dropped them off..

Ding, Ding, Ding! That's where I was heading. You need to be concerned with what is being used & it would be a good idea to get references from people that are "like-minded" with similar projects (hobby vehicle restoration) NOT a farmer with old tractor wheels that got blasted there. The wrong guy with the wrong (very powerful) equipment &/or products (too rough/sharp) of grit can ruin your entire vehicle...& charge you for having them do it!

No Way I would let them start with the shell, Hood, ect. Take them the rad support & inner fenders...get them back & in epoxy. Then the fenders & maybe the rear doors/gate...get them in epoxy & whatever product you are going to use for blocking. Work them out some, by then you will know if they are the right person for the Hood, Doors & Roof. My Two Cents, Lorne

04ls1gto 10-14-2020 09:17 PM

Thanks for the words of caution, he was recommended by the owner of body shop. I have taken more then a few of my vehicles to him and his work is awesome. I will get more info on what he uses for media