The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Front suspension and steering questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816754)

Asshat 01-10-2021 04:41 PM

Front suspension and steering questions

I finished the rear end swap and noticed it drives much better, however, all the little bumps in the road really create a jarring experience. Like all the reflectors in the road, just driving over them, you can feel every single one. Would new springs help with this? I just installed new shocks all the way around.

Also, looking at converting to power steering; the steering box is a bit loose. Defintiely want to tighten that up. And I want a closer ration on the turns.

Not sure if those kits for $700-$800 are worth it. There are cheaper alternatives, right?

On the 63 pickups, they only had steering assist, correct? Is it better to just add the original steering assist or go with full power steering?

Asshat 01-10-2021 05:14 PM

Re: Front suspension and steering questions

3 Attachment(s)
The truck sits pretty nice, I think. A while back, I was thinking about dropping it a couple of inches.

If I do buy new springs, you think I should go with 2” lower front and rear?

The Rocknrod 01-10-2021 05:36 PM

You could get captainfabs adapter and a steering box - http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=332923

Asshat 01-10-2021 06:11 PM

Is it possible to just buy all these components from Rock Auto, let's say for a 1974 C10?

- Gear box (3-1/4 turns)
- Pressure hose
- Return hose
- Gear nut
- Pitman arm
- Pump
- Pulley
- Pump bracket
- Steering coupler?
- Tie rod end?

The Rocknrod 01-10-2021 06:41 PM

You need his bracket, but the rest of the items yes if the brackets fit your water pump length ect.

jayoldschool 01-10-2021 08:05 PM

It's a C20, much stiffer ride than a 10. The difference between my 65 C10 and buddy's 63 C20 was amazing, that thing rode like a school bus. If you want it to ride smooth, you need some weight in the back. Or, convert it to C10 specs.

PGSigns 01-10-2021 08:07 PM

The C20's are sprung a bit stiff. But they were designed that way to be able to carry a load. You can put C10 springs front and rear and that will soften the ride. You can lower the tire pressure a bit and that also helps.
Jimmy

66x3 01-10-2021 08:12 PM

Might have to look pretty hard for six cyl brackets for p/steering pump, good luck. My vote is to keep your stock springs. I like our C20s to look like the heavier duty trucks that they are.

cwcarpenter98 01-10-2021 10:14 PM

You have a 292 right?
If you aren't set on getting factory power steering brackets, there's at least one company out there that makes them. I got this link from another post on here awhile back: https://davisspeedequipment.com/

If you go with the 74 or so steering gear, you'll need a bracket that mounts the power gear to your manual steering frame. I think Captainfab's bracket will work for you if you choose to go that route (check with him on it since your needs are for a c20). Also a good time to install a collapsible intermediate steering shaft.

Like mentioned above, you could install 1/2 ton springs fairly easily. Maybe see if someone local is giving away a set of stock springs, install those, see how you like the ride, then if you decide you want to lower it, you can. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the 1/2 ton springs might lower it a little in comparison to the stock 3/4 ton springs

J Williams 01-10-2021 10:38 PM

As mentioned above, captainfab adapter plate then a steering box from a 72-74 I know will work. Probably even up to 78. I also used the power steering pump out of the 72. Everything bolted up easily other than the pulley wouldn't line up. I ended up buying a complete pulley setup that changed everything on the engine and now it lines up perfect. Just couldn't find one that matched what I had. I had a donor truck so parts were free. You will also have a steering shaft issue. Right now I have one I welded up on as a mock up but would suggest getting a collapsible one so if the unmentionable happens you don't eat a steering wheel.

AcampoDave 01-11-2021 01:55 AM

Check your cab mount cushions. If they are all shot out a new set of rubber ones will help a little too.
I got these https://www.classicparts.com/1963-66...oaAo_YEALw_wcB

val1gonzales 01-11-2021 03:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
What I did was go out to a local junkyard and found everything I needed and got it all for $165. I found a '70 C10 shell with only block and PS pump and sector in it. I had to take it all off myself but it was all good! I kept every bolt, washer, clamp, bracket, pulley and even the original used pump and hoses for good measure. Most junkyards just need to sell and not worried about what they cost on eBay or new. To them its money for parts. Then some elbow grease, spray paint, some new service parts and it's like new. Once in it looks like it was factory.

SCOTI 01-11-2021 10:55 AM

What tires are you running? Heavy Duty tires vs standard car/truck tires make an impact on the ride quality. 8-ply tires will definitely transmit more road surface 'feel' into the chassis @ their recommended max pressures for the loads they're able to haul.

Tire selection & air pressures can make a big difference here.

Coil spring rates will vary between a C10 & C20 but may not be that different. Without knowing what you have, swapping in new springs may not yield much difference.

If doing a steering swap, the Captain Fab bracket & full power steering would be the direction I'd go....

Asshat 01-17-2021 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure why, but the truck is leaning to one side.
Any ideas?
Edit: 1-1/2” lower on the driver side.

SCOTI 01-17-2021 08:06 PM

Coils not seated the same. One maybe didn't seat correctly or could the be clocked differently?

Was the truck level/equal before changes were made?

Asshat 01-17-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8865768)
Coils not seated the same. One maybe didn't seat correctly or could the be clocked differently?

Was the truck level/equal before changes were made?

I didn’t make any changes to the front, just the rear. And, I did not change the rear springs, just removed the upper mounts and re-installed.

Edit: 1-1/2” lower on the driver side.

kaycee 01-17-2021 10:03 PM

Maybe you need a add a leaf/spring ,found this in my 63 I purchased

Asshat 01-17-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaycee (Post 8865831)
Maybe you need a add a leaf/spring ,found this in my 63 I purchased

I wonder if one spring in the rear could cause the entire vehicle to lean to one side.

kaycee 01-17-2021 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ADD A Leaf/spring .I found this today while bleeding brakes

Asshat 01-17-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaycee (Post 8865837)
ADD A Leaf/spring .I found this today while bleeding brakes

:no: I don't think this is a good solution.

Steeveedee 01-17-2021 11:01 PM

What is the expected end use for your truck? That may help us help you on deciding what to do.

I think that maybe the 3/4T is more than you expected, in a number of ways. Without discussing how it leans, etc., maybe you should consider a trade for a 1/2T? My 3/4T truck rides like a...truck, even with the camper shell on it, and actually not much better when towing a 6k pound travel trailer. 3/4T trucks ride like they do for a reason. I'm suspecting that you are used to newer vehicle ride quality and expect to achieve that. I guarantee that you will never achieve that newer vehicle ride quality. Not trying to be difficult, just giving some opinions. FWIW, one of my sons bought a new Canyon pickup last week. I consider the suspension to be "spongy". I used to race on mountain roads (don't tell my mom) and had made serious upgrades to suspensions on those cars. Soft wasn't a word for those rides.

Asshat 01-17-2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8865874)
What is the expected end use for your truck? That may help us help you on deciding what to do.

I think that maybe the 3/4T is more than you expected, in a number of ways. Without discussing how it leans, etc., maybe you should consider a trade for a 1/2T? My 3/4T truck rides like a...truck, even with the camper shell on it, and actually not much better when towing a 6k pound travel trailer. 3/4T trucks ride like they do for a reason. I'm suspecting that you are used to newer vehicle ride quality and expect to achieve that. I guarantee that you will never achieve that newer vehicle ride quality. Not trying to be difficult, just giving some opinions. FWIW, one of my sons bought a new Canyon pickup last week. I consider the suspension to be "spongy". I used to race on mountain roads (don't tell my mom) and had made serious upgrades to suspensions on those cars. Soft wasn't a word for those rides.

I know this is an old truck, so I am not concerned that the it is not comfortable.

I'm trying to determine how to make the truck sit level, and not lean to one side.

AcampoDave 01-18-2021 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8865836)
I wonder if one spring in the rear could cause the entire vehicle to lean to one side.

In my experience, yes.

SCOTI 01-18-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8865942)
In my experience, yes.

Yes. One corner being different/off can cause the entire vehicle to shift. It will/can be more exaggerated depending on the position relative to the issue.

bigmoe 01-18-2021 10:28 AM

When you have a lean like that it could be caused by the front or back springs. What you can do is, with the truck on a level surface, put the front frame level on jack stands and see if the rear if off. Then do the same thing with the rear frame on jack stands to see if it's the front where the problem is.