The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help with details about my next wheel/time combo (original hubcaps/lowered) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=763360)

Ekliptix 05-06-2018 11:21 PM

Help with details about my next wheel/time combo (original hubcaps/lowered)

1 Attachment(s)
The attachment shows an example of what I'm going for. My truck is currently on rallys.

Parts needed:
Hubcaps - found 'em.
Rims - What are they? 15x? I imagine they're easy to find. Do I need any special clips to accept the hubcaps?
Tires - I imagine it's a coker tire or something similar? Any direction?

That'll it take for the wheel tire combo attached?

Thanks

Boog 05-06-2018 11:28 PM

Re: Help with details about my next wheel/time combo (original hubcaps/lowered)

Those wheel covers will snap on to your current rallys if you like and you can run wider Diamondback white wall tires. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of a member's truck with that setup.

Ekliptix 05-07-2018 02:27 PM

Interesting, so those hubcaps can fit on my 15" rally rims, eh? I'm so use to seeing them on the skinny rim + skinny tires like in the photo I attached, I'm definitely interested to see the example you mentioned on a wider tire.

Boog 05-07-2018 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey slap one of those wheel covers on one of your wheels and stand back. You may not like the wide wheel/full wheel cover combo.
Well I've looked through a 1,000 or more pics I have saved but I cannot find the ones I remember. I've lost a few in the crashes.
Anyway the truck I remember is a 69 or 70 silver and white short fleetside. It had chrome rallys and 10's on the rear with I believe a 295/50/15 tire with about a 2" white wall. If I remember right he changed his direction and sold those tires here in the forum classifieds a couple years ago. For the life of me I cannot recall his username either. He did not have wheel covers over the rallys but the point of reference is the wide wheels and white wall tire combo. I thought it looked great.
Maybe this will ring a bell and someone else remembers that truck.
Here's an alternative wheel cover I like from a 69 Vette.

special-K 05-07-2018 10:55 PM

Yes, the wheelcovers will mount on the rallye wheels. Tires appear to be 235/75-15 whitewalls still available through normal channels

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Co...wAAOSwc6paAd8e

Already Gone 05-08-2018 01:52 AM

I have 15 x 7 rallys with 235/75 15 tires and those P01 hubcaps on a stock height truck.. The 7 inch rim makes the 235 tires pop a little wider.

special-K 05-08-2018 06:42 AM

The '90 Blazer I bought new came with 235/75s mounted on 8" rallyes. I had found a rare set of 8" steelies about 15 years ago, had them powder coated juicy red with the intentions of mounting factory wheel covers on them, and have Diamondback make up a set of 3/8" whitewall 275/60s for an old man look yet road hugger wide oval look at the same time. Then I realized it would be a waste of those steelies only to hide them when far more common rallyes could be used. So I saved the juicy reds for hubcaps and did the same red on rallyes

PipsC10 05-08-2018 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 15x7 rallye wheels with cooper trendsetters 235/75/15. I absolutely love the truck and the look you are after

Ekliptix 05-08-2018 01:25 PM

^Thanks for the inspiration! I don't know if I've seen your truck before. I just read the build thread. Well done! Love those gauges too. I want to be as low as yours, so hopefully I can make that a reality in the future. Those cooper tires are 100% what i'm going to go with, and a great price. Just shopping for some cheap rally rims now, so I can keep my current 8" rallys + 275 BFGs as a separate set.

raggedjim 05-09-2018 12:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You can use the cheap "wagon wheels" too. Sometimes easier to find than rallys.

Ekliptix 05-09-2018 12:51 PM

Good call. Does anyone have a close up photo? What color is the wheel itself? Grey, white?

I got a set of hubcaps on ebay this week for $225US. There were not many available, so I'm happy.

raggedjim 05-09-2018 01:59 PM

If you mean the wagon wheels they are usually white or black. I painted mine.

If you mean the original wheels, I'm not sure...

Good luck, Rg

PipsC10 05-09-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekliptix (Post 8257719)
Good call. Does anyone have a close up photo? What color is the wheel itself? Grey, white?

I got a set of hubcaps on ebay this week for $225US. There were not many available, so I'm happy.

I had mine powder coated white

PipsC10 05-09-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekliptix (Post 8257038)
^Thanks for the inspiration! I don't know if I've seen your truck before. I just read the build thread. Well done! Love those gauges too. I want to be as low as yours, so hopefully I can make that a reality in the future. Those cooper tires are 100% what i'm going to go with, and a great price. Just shopping for some cheap rally rims now, so I can keep my current 8" rallys + 275 BFGs as a separate set.

Thanks!

Boog 05-28-2018 05:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was thinking about your wheel cover/white wall look and that truck you posted up there is familiar so I just had to look it up. That particular truck is owned by member Bill Neumiller in Minnesota. He had a set of low and wides on it and changed to the setup you posted. I found a few more pics of his 72 Cheyenne.
Per Bill on the current setup, 'wheels are stock 15x6 with P235/75R15 with 3/4" whitewall. The truck was dropped when I purchased it but I'd have to guess it's a 3/4 static drop. I added a rear sway bar and quick ratio box for handling. Drives nice.'
I like it both ways.

BCOWANWHEELS 05-28-2018 07:51 PM

Caps on above look so much better