The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Suspension Talk (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=360007)

austinstocker 08-28-2009 12:32 PM

Suspension Talk

I recently ordered some 2 1/2" drop spindles and 4" Springs for my 67 C-10, SWB. I ordered them through GMC Pauls online. Put the springs in... Rides like the springs they are sending out for these things are waaay too stiff. Anyone running into this issue? Shocks are not too long or anything, just feels as if I have some large blocks of wood for rear springs. Haha. Once again, just asking if anyone has ordered through GMC Pauls and has this problem.

-1967 Chev SWB, Big Block, Muncie 4 Spd-

ChevLoRay 08-28-2009 12:35 PM

Re: Suspension Talk

If the old springs were shot, it could be what you have now is what it should have been all along. My truck had 2000# rate coils on the back and the new 4-inch shorter springs has a waaaaaaaaay better ride than the old stiff ones did.

If you drove my '96 with leaf springs, you'd prefer the coils on your truck.

austinstocker 08-28-2009 12:38 PM

Yeah, I realize that. I was expecting them to be a little bit more stiff... but this is terrible. I might have to go with a car type spring, only problem being, you never know what drop you will get.

austinstocker 08-28-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevLoRay (Post 3489593)
If the old springs were shot, it could be what you have now is what it should have been all along. My truck had 2000# rate coils on the back and the new 4-inch shorter springs has a waaaaaaaaay better ride than the old stiff ones did.

If you drove my '96 with leaf springs, you'd prefer the coils on your truck.

Hey ChevLoRay, do you have any pictures of your 69 pickup?

BossHogg69 08-28-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinstocker (Post 3489585)
I recently ordered some 2 1/2" drop spindles and 4" Springs for my 67 C-10, SWB. I ordered them through GMC Pauls online. Put the springs in... Rides like the springs they are sending out for these things are waaay too stiff. Anyone running into this issue? Shocks are not too long or anything, just feels as if I have some large blocks of wood for rear springs. Haha. Once again, just asking if anyone has ordered through GMC Pauls and has this problem.

Well, I ordered a set of 6" drop rear springs from them for my '69 that I haven't installed yet. I do know that they asked a lot of questions about the truck saying that the springs' rate is customized for each application. I don't mind a stiff ride, and everyone's opinion of stiff/unbearable is different, but I'm shooting for a "Pro'Touring" theme for my truck, so it may suit me fine.

dan42 08-28-2009 03:29 PM

I have 4" drop springs on my '67 SWB from GMC Paul's, and they seem to ride fine - I had the heavy duty ones from the factory on before and they are a little smoother than those. I have 2" drop springs and a sway bar on the front, and new shocks all around, and it behaves itself nicely on the road.

lolife99 08-28-2009 04:16 PM

Got any pics of your suspension? Your not hitting on the bumpstops, are you?

unclewatts 08-28-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3489896)
Got any pics of your suspension? Your not hitting on the bumpstops, are you?

That was my question too.

big_al_71 08-29-2009 12:09 AM

I was also wondering the same thing about the bump stops...I have six inch slowering springs and my bucket rides awesome..

N2TRUX 08-29-2009 10:39 AM

While we are always eager to discuss, I have heard great things abut GMC Paul. I would consider contacting him to get some input.

In the meantime, post pics and give us more details.

austinstocker 08-29-2009 02:16 PM

Yeah, I know that I am not hitting the bump stops.. I am going to try some different shocks first of all. Thanks for all the input, and it's good to see some of you are happy with GMC Pauls springs. I'll figure it out. Thanks.