The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Hooker darkside headers rusting after only a few months. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608915)

Hazieview 12-22-2013 12:09 AM

Hooker darkside headers rusting after only a few months.

I recently purchased the darkside Hooker headers because I liked the black finish. Needless to say they were a waste. After only a few months they are already starting to rust. I would not recommend these headers because they do not hold up to their description in which I have listed below. Just trying to save everyone some money. Oh and not to mention that on the driver's side the number 5 cylinder sparkling is almost impossible to hook a wire to neatly.

Description/B.S.:

These Hooker Competition Darkside ceramic coated headers feature an exclusive proprietary black ceramic coating that offers a more refined texture and better appearance. They are manufactured from durable 16-gauge steel and have 5/16 in. thick flanges that are heavy enough to maintain header integrity, yet pliable enough to seal each exhaust port. The Hooker Competition Darkside ceramic coated headers provide improved thermal resistance up to 1,700 degrees F, limiting heat migration through the header and reducing underhood temperatures. Unless otherwise noted, these headers are designed to fit the vehicle as it came from the manufacturer. This includes components like cylinder heads, chassis, steering, motor mounts, body mounts and bushings, etc. If your vehicle is using aftermarket components, parts from other applications, or custom altered parts, then it is the installer's responsibility to verify fitment.

INSIDIOUS '86 12-22-2013 01:27 AM

Re: Hooker darkside headers rusting after only a few months.

Did you temp cure the ceramic coating when you installed them? Ceramic headers aren't a set it and forget it kind of thing.

nekkidhillbilly 12-22-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 (Post 6429654)
Did you temp cure the ceramic coating when you installed them? Ceramic headers aren't a set it and forget it kind of thing.

i think your supposed to run the truck some to cure them

Hazieview 12-22-2013 09:57 AM

Would breaking in a new motor be considered enough cure time? The motor was running more that 1600 rpm for more than 20 minutes. Plus a few times running for tuning and a couple trips around the block....

I'm not driving it every day but good grief how much cure time do the headers need? Thinking of just wrapping them in black header wrap.

john 12-22-2013 02:58 PM

Read the installation paragraph of this page. Should not use new headers for breakin period.
http://www.hotrodhotline.com/hooker-...s#.Urc1HrRdB-0

INSIDIOUS '86 12-22-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazieview (Post 6429823)
Would breaking in a new motor be considered enough cure time? The motor was running more that 1600 rpm for more than 20 minutes. Plus a few times running for tuning and a couple trips around the block....

I'm not driving it every day but good grief how much cure time do the headers need? Thinking of just wrapping them in black header wrap.

Yah that's prob the issue. They don't want headers to be used to break in motors as it burns off the coating before it can cure

AMERICAN PICK-UP 12-23-2013 01:46 PM

that is why i did not buy them. breaking in a new engine kills the coatings on the new headers.

ItsRandy 01-08-2014 09:58 PM

I have a set of Hooker SuperComp headers with the ceramic coating and was surprised when I read all the paperwork that was in the box. After reading the disclaimer I almost sent them back. The way it sounded to me is the only way the warranty remains in effect is if you never drive your truck. You would think Hooker would ship their product ready to use instead of requiring the customer to finish their product for them.

One more thing...I really like the headers. My coating isn't rusting or coming off and I ran them on a brand new engine.