The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pitted Windows (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738116)

n33k0 05-17-2017 04:11 PM

Pitted Windows

One of the many things that need attention on my truck is the door glass. It is pitted, not excessively, but it's annoying and very noticeable when the sun hits it just right. Is there any way to repair the glass or fill the little chips and pits? Is it worth the cost and time to do so? I know new glass is (relatively) cheap, but if I can get the old glass to look decent then I'd rather not go through the hassle of installing new windows.

This is just for the door glass. The windshield on the truck is fine, and so is the rear glass. Any thoughts? http://i67.tinypic.com/303bhqb.jpg

truckster 05-17-2017 04:41 PM

Re: Pitted Windows

There's nothing that's going to be a permanent fix, and even a temporary fix like filling them with resin is probably not going to be very satisfactory.

demian5 05-17-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 7945236)
There's nothing that's going to be a permanent fix, and even a temporary fix like filling them with resin is probably not going to be very satisfactory.

Eastwood makes a kit that you can polish the window with. I thought about getting it for my 64 impala as it has some wiper streaks.

http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polish...ches-5658.html

truckster 05-17-2017 05:41 PM

Here's the deal on polishing:

First, it works much better with laminated glass than with tempered glass, because the surface of laminated glass is softer. Your door glass is tempered glass, so it doesn't polish up very well. A windshield is laminated glass, so it's a better candidate for polishing.

Second, polishing is really slow work. You're going to have a lot of time into it for a result that you probably won't like.

Third, polishing only removes the most minor surface imperfections. Wiper streaks may come out, but if you can catch it with a fingernail, it's not going to polish out.

So, yes, polishing is an option, just not a very good one, in my humble opinion.

n33k0 05-17-2017 06:39 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was doing some reading on resin repairs for glass and it all pointed to the same result: it's only a temporary fix. These windows are beyond polishing. Looks like new glass is the best option, whenever I can fit them into the budget. Can anyone recommend the best place to get new quality windows?

Ontcalimo 05-22-2017 01:53 AM

Clearing overspray with gun cleaner or acetone can create those pits. it's better to use razorIblade and polish glass.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-22-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 7945295)
Here's the deal on polishing:

First, it works much better with laminated glass than with tempered glass, because the surface of laminated glass is softer. Your door glass is tempered glass, so it doesn't polish up very well. A windshield is laminated glass, so it's a better candidate for polishing.

Second, polishing is really slow work. You're going to have a lot of time into it for a result that you probably won't like.

Third, polishing only removes the most minor surface imperfections. Wiper streaks may come out, but if you can catch it with a fingernail, it's not going to polish out.

So, yes, polishing is an option, just not a very good one, in my humble opinion.

A guy I know specializes in windows for classics. He says it's a wasted effort unless the issue is extremely light.

webfoot 05-22-2017 12:22 PM

New side glass won't set you back a whole bunch. Set it in the channel with urethane and avoid messing with the rubber channel.

davepl 05-22-2017 01:07 PM

I don't know what level of restoration this is for, but I'll say this:

On my "high end restoration" (not my truck, that's a mid-level at best) of my 2+2 we put in all new glass, all 6 pieces.

Having new side glass, particularly with properly polished stainless trim, made it like new. Now when I walk up to other "no expense spared" restorations I almost choke from looking at their pitted and scratched glass.

On an "even higher end" restoration you'd get the glass date coded, but I'm not that hardcore.

My truck, fortunately, had almost perfect side glass, so I just kept it. Got lucky there!

My point, I guess, is that it can make a big difference in the appearance of the truck if the rest of the truck is anywhere near up to that standard. Or if it's really scratched up, even on a regular truck it'll make it that much nicer. As people have noted polishing is a lot of work and can only do so much. It's also not cheap for materials, so new side glass can even be cost effective compared to polishing.