The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wiring kit (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=814583)

xbanone 11-17-2020 01:00 PM

Wiring kit

What is everyone’s favorite wiring kit currently? Painless, Ron Francis, American autowire or something else? I have a 1976 k1500 all stock V8 4 speed and no AC but one day I might upgrade to a Holley sniper fuel injection kit. Most likely I will do Dakota digital gauges along with the wiring. I would like to have the fuse block in the factory location.

I have rewired vehicles before and I would say I have a solid understanding of vehicle wiring and I have all the necessary skills and tools to do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bloodhound 11-17-2020 01:50 PM

Re: Wiring kit

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbanone (Post 8837009)
What is everyone’s favorite wiring kit currently? Painless, Ron Francis, American autowire or something else? I have a 1976 k1500 all stock V8 4 speed and no AC but one day I might upgrade to a Holley sniper fuel injection kit. Most likely I will do Dakota digital gauges along with the wiring. I would like to have the fuse block in the factory location.

I have rewired vehicles before and I would say I have a solid understanding of vehicle wiring and I have all the necessary skills and tools to do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm just wrapping up wiring a 1985 C10 using the American Autowire kit. I have zero complaints. You must also get the two crimping tools to make the factory style crimps. You have to do most of the terminal connections but they supply everything you need. All wires are individually labeled every foot or so. I have Dakota HDX gauges, a Holley HP computer and Vintage Air, but none of those really needed wiring into the AAW kit.

I got the kit I needed (classic update kit) on ebay for a good price.

xbanone 11-17-2020 01:52 PM

I am definitely leaning toward the American auto wire. Not the cheapest but looks very complete and high quality. What is the crimping tool and where is it used?
Posted via Mobile Device

EricU 11-17-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodhound (Post 8837031)
I'm just wrapping up wiring a 1985 C10 using the American Autowire kit. I have zero complaints. You must also get the two crimping tools to make the factory style crimps. You have to do most of the terminal connections but they supply everything you need. All wires are individually labeled every foot or so. I have Dakota HDX gauges, a Holley HP computer and Vintage Air, but none of those really needed wiring into the AAW kit.

Bloodhound,

Did you rewire everything?

If not, what did you as you said that the Vintage Air etc didn't need wiring into the AAW kit.

Also (my real question) How long do you estimate it that it has taken you?

Thanks for the help!

xbanone 11-17-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodhound (Post 8837031)

Also I read somewhere you can rent the tooling but didn’t see that on the site anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Factory Guy 11-17-2020 08:33 PM

American auto wire

Bloodhound 11-17-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricU (Post 8837099)
Bloodhound,

Did you rewire everything?

If not, what did you as you said that the Vintage Air etc didn't need wiring into the AAW kit.

Also (my real question) How long do you estimate it that it has taken you?

Thanks for the help!

I started with a blank canvas, so everything is new AAW. The Vintage Air setup is all self-contained, it only needs a direct battery 12V, an ignition 12V (which I did use a IGN circuit on the fuse panel, and ground. My Dakota gauges, pretty much same. I used the AAW fuel gauge wiring, but the gauges get all other info from the CANBUS connection to the Holley computer.

As for how long, it's tough to say. Once you get the hang of doing the crimps for the various connections, you can cruise right along. If I was doing a factory harness replacement it might actually be easier, no improvising. The instructions are quite good.

Bloodhound 11-17-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbanone (Post 8837034)
I am definitely leaning toward the American auto wire. Not the cheapest but looks very complete and high quality. What is the crimping tool and where is it used?
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't buy a cheap kit if you care about your truck. For the crimping, read this.

https://www.americanautowire.com/vie...ican-autowire/

xbanone 11-17-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodhound (Post 8837238)
Don't buy a cheap kit if you care about your truck. For the crimping, read this.

https://www.americanautowire.com/vie...ican-autowire/

Thanks for the advice and thanks for the link!
Posted via Mobile Device

lux 11-17-2020 11:01 PM

AAW was a pleasure to install. And their tech support is top notch.

mikentosh 11-18-2020 01:54 AM

Another vote for AAW. I’ve done three squarebodies with their kits now...no complaints at all.

I’ve also used M&H in the past and if you are looking for a restoration quality harness they are the go-to; however it will cost you (probably double an AAW kit), and since they are built to order it does take a few months to get.

kglowacky 11-18-2020 09:51 AM

I installed a Painless universal kit and it was not a walk in the park but it was doable. Not sure I would use it again but it all turned out ok. Any universal kit you buy will give you some challenges not sure on a AAW kit set up for a c-10. Assume it would be easier. Good Luck