The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Glass Half Top (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=220768)

davesamnesia 12-26-2006 06:25 PM

Glass Half Top

5 Attachment(s)
Here is top I've been working on for last couple of weeks. Started by cutting out side windows. Followed the line of the window to top of topper and then went straight across. In front of window and right behind. In order to get the proper distance from front to rear I measured a regular cab pick-up on the inside where head liner goes. This will be my "working dimension" since this will eventually have a headliner in it. I cut the front section, on the top layer, to get an idea exactly where to cut the rear. I then cut the rear section on the inside all the way to the back header panel, leaving both sides in tact. By the sides I mean just that. All I cut was the ribbed section from the middle. I left everything long!! Easier to trim than to add on. There are about 6 support sections between the layers of top and bottom. These had to be removed due to clearance. Carefully removed with a wood chisel and rubber mallet. Will need these later to support new roof sections. Then the fitting of the two halves started. Fit, mark, trim, fit, mark, trim etc.. Once I got it to where I wanted it, used discarded roof sections as backers and clecoed the whole thing together. Re-set 4 of the roof supports removed earlier. I used a two part panel adhesive ( worked great by the way) to bond it all together. Chopped glass and filler to do the seams after bonding. Had a little left over primer and that's where I'm at.
Dave

badpeanut 12-26-2006 06:56 PM

Re: Glass Half Top

I want one, too!

jimmydean 12-26-2006 07:35 PM

I dig it! I thought it was a cool idea when I was looking at a friends Blazer last year because his brother had a '67 Bronco with a "Half Cab" glass top that was sweet.

As long as you can get it to seal up, I would do it in a heartbeat.

N2TRUX 12-26-2006 08:58 PM

Awesome! I think you got the perfect angle on it...:metal:

Palf70Step 12-26-2006 09:06 PM

Looks good to me. Time for you to go into business!

BUDDY 12-26-2006 09:55 PM

I love it!! (Sorry, my wife's watching gilmore girls in the background.)

I mean :phat:

So did you decide how you're going to do the rear window? Hatch is my vote to a bulkhead with a shortened tonneau from a Short bed. I think that would totally kick butt!

Looks good!! I like how you cut the ribs to give it strength. Very Good Idea! Lots of extra surface area to 'glass to that way.

Keep us updated!

Buddy

davesamnesia 12-28-2006 02:36 AM

Still hanging on to the tonneau idea. From top of hatch to tailgate following body line. Toying with an idea of putting a van seat in the rear that folds down and then folds up to front seats.
Dave

68GMC454 12-28-2006 02:09 PM

wow that turned out great...i could also see that being used as a convertable top for a pick up..probably wouldnt take to much to make it work for a truck...you do great work..
billy

davesamnesia 12-28-2006 05:08 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Dave

BLAZERMAN 12-28-2006 06:15 PM

Looks pretty good, kinda reminds me of the fast back top I use to run on my Jeep. I have some pics around here somewhere of an extendid cab top someone made from a Blazer top and had it on a pickup.

LUV2XCLR8 12-28-2006 07:47 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :metal:

red71cheyenne 12-28-2006 09:17 PM

Great idea and work! Sorry though, I don't like the angle at the back. I would have went with the classic straight up and down. Awesome work though, and keep us updated. Jeff.

FRENCHBLUE72 12-28-2006 09:46 PM

Looks good.....

clay68c10 12-29-2006 12:44 AM

Cool. Similar to the Scout and Jeepster pickups, but better.

jaros44sr 12-29-2006 09:34 AM

Dave great work, you have inspired me to cut up my top. Wish I could see it with a more squared off back, guess I'll have to wait till I do mine, sorta cab and a 1/2?
Gotta go back and find the build thread, NICE WORK! J.

You guys amaze me how fast you get your projects dun, mine take forever.
I vote best nonfactory mod!

BUDDY 01-18-2007 05:22 PM

Do you have any updates on this little project? I'm REALLY interested in how it turns out!!

LAter,
Buddy

Lieferson 03-22-2016 02:05 PM

Bringing this back from the dead, but has anyone else tried anything like this? maybe more of a squared off rear section... half cabs are near impossible to find anymore, and when you do they are around 1k, more in good shape with the header but you can find double wall hard tops with no rear hatch for 100$ or so fairly often.. i think the hardest part would be grafting in the window but what do you guys think?

basketcase 03-25-2016 11:16 PM

Nice looking top.

Tom