The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Dash Speakers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809103)

pilotXC 07-13-2020 05:21 PM

Dash Speakers

2 Attachment(s)
I installed two 4" speakers in replacement of the 4x10 factory speaker in my dash last week. I used Alpine SPS-410's. They came with plastic mounting plates that fit perfect in the dash speaker grill and allowed a pretty easy install. I pulled the glove box out and was able to reach everything relatively simply. It's just the Retrosound head unit power currently, but sounds much better already with these instead of just the 6.5" door speakers.

68is4me 07-14-2020 12:57 PM

Re: Dash Speakers

That is the same speakers that I also used in the center. I also added a s-432f alpine 4way amp. That really made the speakers come to life.

pilotXC 07-14-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68is4me (Post 8774500)
That is the same speakers that I also used in the center. I also added a s-432f alpine 4way amp. That really made the speakers come to life.

How do you like the amp? I'm leaning towards a Kenwood 5 channel because I'm going to install 6.5" mids with component tweeters and one 10" sub behind the seat. I also just ordered some speaker cloth to cover the 4's in the dash so they don't get debris all over them. I'm having my windsheild gasket replaced so will fully install the speakers when the current one is out.

68is4me 07-14-2020 10:26 PM

I like it. Its not going to win no competition's but for me its all I need. I also installed 6.5 s series component speakers in the rear cab corners, and a kicker hs10 subwoofer which has the amp included into the enclosure. I put both the amp and subs under the seats.

My plan was to have some good sounds for the power tour this summer.

pilotXC 07-23-2020 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68is4me (Post 8774867)
I like it. Its not going to win no competition's but for me its all I need. I also installed 6.5 s series component speakers in the rear cab corners, and a kicker hs10 subwoofer which has the amp included into the enclosure. I put both the amp and subs under the seats.

My plan was to have some good sounds for the power tour this summer.

Right on. I'm planning a similar install. My doors are cut for speakers already so I'm doing the Alpine 6.5 mid with component tweeter. Still trying to figure out how to surface mount them as I do not want to cut my doors anymore or my door panels. I'm going to do 1 10" sub behind the seat. I did an LS swap and removed the tank so I got the space now.

I redid the 4's in the dash as well. Got some mesh to cover the speaker and the foam buckets for the under side. Hoping those help the sound a bit as well as protect them... I'm replacing my windsheild so was much easier to screw the speakers in as well.

Dukk 08-12-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilotXC (Post 8774743)
... I'm leaning towards a Kenwood 5 channel ...

That is a great choice. I put the Kenwood eXcelon XR900/5 into my daughter's YJ and into my golf cart and it performed very well in both applications. :metal:

blazer2007 08-16-2020 09:12 AM

do they make a component style speaker that fits in a 78 dash or not worth it sound wise

Dukk 08-21-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8793000)
do they make a component style speaker that fits in a 78 dash or not worth it sound wise

If you want to go components and keep it all in the dash, consider 4" mids in the center and then flush the tweeters into the A-pillar trim. It works surprisingly well!

IMO it is worth the effort and time to make kickpanels but not everyone wants to go that way.