The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   FAQ Truck Tech (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Project remove my sunroof (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655959)

Razor454 01-02-2014 11:40 PM

Project remove my sunroof

2 Attachment(s)
Well, ever since I bought my truck in 1995 I've hated the sunroof in it. It never seemed to fit this type of truck (or any trucks for that matter). So I've decided to put my welding and fabrication skills to work and finally remove it once and for all! :) So here we go.....

Razor454 01-02-2014 11:42 PM

Re: Project remove my sunroof

1 Attachment(s)
First item on the list was getting a donor top, which I was able to acquire from a local board member (thanks again Bob). I removed it by drilling out each of the spot welds around the edge and cutting the back section of the cab to expose the spot-welds along the back.

Razor454 01-02-2014 11:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the next step was to get my roof ready, so I used a wire brush attached to my 90 degree die grinder and polished away. This seemed to work the best to expose the spot welds.

Razor454 01-02-2014 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Using a spot weld drill bit and some good ole elbow grease I was able to remove the top section.

Razor454 01-02-2014 11:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tonight I decided to cut and weld in the lower roof section. This was no easy task, as warp and mismatch are possible at this point. I just took my time and match everything up and spot welded until the cows came home...

Mike's money pit 01-03-2014 12:20 AM

Looks great! I will be watching with interest because I have some rust to replace in my roof.
Mike

Razor454 01-03-2014 12:40 AM

Thanks Mike. Yeah, this is a unique opportunity to clean up the rust and paint this section.

Leroy-B1 01-03-2014 12:53 AM

Good info I've never saw it done this way...I've saw the post cut and a complete top install...thanks for this

Terry Crist 01-03-2014 01:19 AM

Have you ever tried these, http://www.eastwood.com/intergrip-pa...-set-of-4.html. to help keep everything flush.

Razor454 01-03-2014 01:21 AM

I've never used them before, but I should pick up some and try them out. One of the biggest issue I had was with the "crown" of the roof, as its not flat.

swamp rat 01-03-2014 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Crist (Post 6447953)
Have you ever tried these, http://www.eastwood.com/intergrip-pa...-set-of-4.html. to help keep everything flush.

Harbor freight has them a lot cheaper... are they worse or better i don't know but i have a set and they seem ok.

alsriv2 01-03-2014 11:27 AM

Subscribed!

I have to replace my roof top due to previously done poor repair job. I will watch how you are getting this done, but am curious about the rear spot welds along that seam.

Razor454 01-03-2014 08:25 PM

I've pondered this idea for some time and I believe the best approach is to use 3M automotive panel adhesive. I'll have to either tack weld a few areas along the seam to keep it in place while it cures, or figure out a way to "clamp" the panel so it has the proper force to keep it in place.
()

hugger6933 01-03-2014 08:46 PM

This time of year is the wrong time to think about using the panel bonding stuff. It needs to be pretty warm to work well I learned that the hard way putting a roof on a 04 C2500. With all the guts out [int.] the welder is still the best way to go. I had one of my body guys use some of the 3M bonding stuff on his bed skins on his truck [i was letting him build at my shop on the weekend on his time] it failed soon as we lifted the bed to place it on the truck. I can't atest to his proper use of the product , but I do know I used it right with the exception it got cold the night I used it and it failed. The work progress is looking real good, there is a new skin out now for those needing to do this and not able to find a donor. I have done this many times using used panels and it does make the labor twice as much and at some point you may have to consider the amount of labor, but I always figure mine is cheap. Jim

BugzC10 01-03-2014 08:51 PM

Looks like your outer skin would be a good candidate for the 3M Panel Bonding, but like you said the clamping in place could be an issue. Maybe weld temporary brackets on each side of the seam around the back and back corners to give you a clamping points. You should be able to use C clamps in the front and the sides. I'm no expert...just an observation.

hamjet 01-03-2014 08:51 PM

I used a product by Lord Corp. called Fusor for applying rockers and cab corners on a 1990 pickup 6 years ago. its still holding, but I used pop rivets to hold it till it cured then ground them off....

Razor454 01-03-2014 09:18 PM

hugger6933, I agree with you on the temperature. I'm kind of at a stopping point until the temp increases, as I also need to paint the inside with an expoxy paint. Also, I know that this stuff will work, but I need to make sure I have four things correct: Temperature, pressure, cure time and bond gap. If I miss anyone of these items my bond will prematurely fail.

black_sheep454 01-03-2014 10:46 PM

3m panel bond is some very strong stuff. I've glued a ton of bedsides and roof skins on with it. Just make sure it's prepped well and you'll have no problems.

chipflyer 01-03-2014 11:16 PM

I plan to replace my roof with one that has hockey puck style marker lamps and plan to do what you have done to remove the roof. The only way to put the roof on and make it look right along the back seam is to use panel bonding adhesive. The front and sides could be plug welded but there is no way to weld the back and have it look correct. I've had good luck with panel adhesive too, not a bit afraid to use it.

Take a look at this older thread, lots of great info.

Jeff

Terry Crist 01-03-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6447974)
Harbor freight has them a lot cheaper... are they worse or better i don't know but i have a set and they seem ok.

Cool, I did not know they had them. I'll have to check them out.

SCHRUMGMC 01-04-2014 12:47 AM

Thank God...I don't know why in the hell people put sun roofs in these things

sduckworth13 01-04-2014 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool Mark, glad to see you tackling the roof repair. I removed the inner and outer panels recently after I botched a antenna hole repair in the roof. Good luck on the repair.

Elliot949 01-04-2014 07:35 AM

Nice work man...

69SWB4X4 01-04-2014 09:27 AM

I am about to do the same repair on my truck. My thought was to flange the sunroof opening and cut a patch from my donor skin. Could also flange the patch if room is an issue.. On the inside I plan to use dyna mat in the old sunroof hole and add a headliner.. Thoughts??

67 chevelle 01-04-2014 09:46 AM

3m panel bond is great stuff , I have never had a problem using it , for quarter panels and other things , I do live in Florida though , I use small self tapping sheet metal screws to hold it and then just fill them