The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Some guys have skills and some have bills (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=440743)

fastwillie 696969 07-16-2011 08:27 PM

Re: Some guys have skills and some have bills

i got skills but with health problems i had to give up turning wrenches ,so now i got the bills i went ahead and found one of the greatest hot rodz shop .jeff costa (sonoma county street rodz ) has gone up and above the call of fab work and parts ,
i would love to do my own work on my truck i did some of the small stuff i did the doors complete teardown and recondition the regs. and lubed and got the lock rods hook up everything works good ,but for the heavy duty its cheaper for me to pay some time

Bull72 07-16-2011 08:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The wet after pics...

Bull72 07-31-2011 12:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some pictures of the new parts and updates!!!!

The Jegs flywheel, jegs aluminum radiator (sorry I didn't take this out of the box for you to see :lol:), jegs dual electric fans, the powermaster chrome alternator and Derale trans cooler.

Bull72 07-31-2011 12:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the new chrome radiator overflow tank, gray taylor wires, and bolted on the fuel pump, and the water pump.

Bull72 07-31-2011 12:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Bolted on the motor mounts, left out the thermostat, but I need to get a new harmonic balancer. My buddy thought it looked really rough and it felt like it was going to split/break, so I'm going to order a new one.

Bull72 07-31-2011 01:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Can't remember what we did here but we removed some bushing and then bolted on the flywheel and the lifting plate for the engine hoist.

Bull72 07-31-2011 01:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled out the engine hoist and the heart of the beast was suspended!

Bull72 07-31-2011 01:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
slowly dropping it in and it found it's way in nicely.............. Squeezing the engine in to line up perfectly was a little time consuming but the job got done a few pry bars later. The motor mounts weren't lined up perfectly either, but we used a drill bit to open it up just a bit and get the motor mounts just right...

Bull72 07-31-2011 01:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally settled in and is back in it's home! The paint on the fenders are superrrrr dirty, and very dusty. So I'm pretty excited once everything goes in I will clean it all up and take some more pics. Should be done over the next couple weeks and ready to fire up!!!!

VA72C10 07-31-2011 01:56 AM

Looking great!!!

Bull72 08-10-2011 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't there for the harmonic balancer painting or bolt on. But my buddy told me he had a rough time tapping the crank bolt. He had to order a specific matco tool and finally got it all bolted on correctly. Some of you guys probably no more about what this tool was or why it was required... I will ask him next time I talk to him, I just got his texts =)

BLUE THUNDER 08-12-2011 09:31 AM

nice work Abel. Can't wait to see it.

Burt4x4 08-12-2011 09:35 AM

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Get-R-Done
:mm::chevy::mm:

Bull72 08-13-2011 09:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another shot of the harmonic balancer bolted in and as long as it is in the shop ... thought I would paint the diff covers to match the engine. It's getting closer...

Bull72 08-22-2011 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's coming together.... slowly but indeed surely better than before :metal: We got a weld in battery tray and the universal aluminum radiator all locked down after a little fabrication work. Also ordered a few needed parts:

This should work out well... JEGS Single Feed Filtered Fuel Line Kits
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...15050/10002/-1

JEGS Universal Electric Fan, Oil & Transmission Cooler Mount Kit
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...53500/10002/-1

Derale Remote Cooler Accessories
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13063/10002/-1

JEGS Electric Fan Wiring Harness Kits
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...10569/10002/-1

BLUE THUNDER 08-22-2011 12:32 AM

Nice work dude. Can't wait to see it in person.

Bull72 08-22-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER (Post 4858274)
Nice work dude. Can't wait to see it in person.

I will call you as soon as it's done brother and cruise it your way... I'm ready to cruise already!

luis979motoring 08-22-2011 12:57 AM

great progress!! i'm jealous of you san antonio people!! you guys have all the K5s!!!lol jk

Bull72 08-22-2011 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My buddy had some extra time this week, so I told him to PLEASE work without me if he has time. I wasn't about the slow down a man with a plan!! So he sent me a pic of this today, hoping to get some more update pics this week - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his schedule stays OPEN!

He painted my pulleys to match the oil pan and timing chain cover. We need a longer Alternator Bracket, so I ordered that today. He got the headers bolted on as well, and we discovered that we are going to need to rebuild the exhaust a bit because of the collectors and the old pipes. The PO had them welded to a bunch of funny places... so Im deciding wether or not to go with some bigger pipes now, or just fab what we can now and get it running. Or get it done right now....

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Bull72 08-24-2011 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bolted on the overflow reservoir...

Bull72 08-27-2011 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It was a good day for "the beast"! We fired her up for the first time in 2-3 months now (after draining and changing out the fuel) it had been sitting on a full tank for a few months and went bad. We also had to charge up the battery before it would turn over.

The inline fuel filter on the carb and all the hoses are "mocked up", I say mocked up because I decided to get the chrome upper and lower radiator hoses. For now we put some water in the radiator and wired the electric fans in (they worked great by the way). We are going to need to adjust the belts, pulleys, and upper alternator bracket a bit more so it fires up perfectly.

I also had these yellow wires for the test fire, but I have some gray wires and we are going to "hide" the wires a bit so the engine can be seen more easily. We are going to wire the front 2 wires through/under the manifold to the dist and the back 2 wires behind the heads in the back so you can't see them as much. The gray color should help them be a bit more hidden.

Took pictures of the new trans cooler and radiator overflow bolted in. also the new battery tray all bolted in and snug =)

here are my updated pics thus far....

Bull72 08-27-2011 11:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
electric fan, distributor in, mock wired...

Bull72 08-27-2011 11:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Bull72 08-27-2011 11:24 PM

I have some iphone videos of the engine fired up, sounds like a champ!!!! except I can't seem to upload them :dohh::dohh: dangit. I have a few videos that are all downloaded in .mov I am trying to upload them just like a picture but it won't upload.

Can anyone assist?

Bull72 09-02-2011 12:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some new exhaust pipes welded on. Also got some really nice flex couplers

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=831438

so the pipes stay flowing well with all the vibrations from the new engine!!!!! I also ordered some new copper head gaskets, unfortunately one of the headbolts were leaking a bit, so my buddy had to pull everything apart and put some copper gaskets and re torque everything.

Also got an oil pressure and water temp guage...
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...oductId=745219