The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So... I have this problem (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=817142)

toolboxchev 01-18-2021 08:29 PM

So... I have this problem

Well long story short, I have a 70 truck I have been wanting to restore for over 14 years. Did lots of work to it, mechanically its about at 90 percent minus a need for another rebuild on the engine.

Time in life is getting shorter, and work is flooding in right now and my career is restarting, Almost accepted a position at R Tech Fabrications in Idaho.

I may have to sell it, all the parts I have collected including sheet metal and various other stuff.

I am bummed, all that work to go away. In many ways it has become a part of my life even got the nickname of White Truck Chris from the best of friends. I still look at her and enjoy the thought of bringing it back to full life, lots of people on this board have been a great help in many ways.

So what would you do? What is your life situation? How would you go about sorting out the end of life/retirement plans?

:chevy:

saxart 01-18-2021 08:45 PM

Re: So... I have this problem

Do you have a spot you can stick it away for a couple of years so you can just sleep on what to do with it? Life always seems to have a way of throwing a curve ball. Just when you do something like sell, then a life change comes along and suddenly you have plenty of time on your hands.

weq92f 01-18-2021 09:03 PM

Sounds like this thing brings you joy and has become part of your life. Maybe it's a bit too early to think about pulling the plug?

Maybe you can warm up to the idea of putting it on hold for a while... save it for later.

Hth,

-klb

special-K 01-18-2021 09:05 PM

I'd try to keep it so you can enjoy life with it later on.

Grumpy old man 01-18-2021 09:08 PM

" So what would you do? What is your life situation? How would you go about sorting out the end of life/retirement plans? "

I plan on parking a few in an old barn for one of my kids to find when I'm gone .

Barnfind46 01-19-2021 07:45 AM

I must be missing something. What was the problem?

sick472 01-19-2021 08:38 AM

I am finishing up a 20+ year 72 C10 project. I could have sold (and considered it), but the money was not the issue. I kept it and am glad I did! To each their own, but you know if keeping it is an option. If you keep it, try to put in some amount of time each week just to keep it alive and making some progress.

toolboxchev 01-19-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxart (Post 8866337)
Do you have a spot you can stick it away for a couple of years so you can just sleep on what to do with it? Life always seems to have a way of throwing a curve ball. Just when you do something like sell, then a life change comes along and suddenly you have plenty of time on your hands.

This would be part of my problem. No spot for now and nothing in sight yet. Keep the responses coming folks.

I need the insight of those with wisdom.

Zeroman 01-19-2021 10:53 AM

Mine sat in the garage for 11 years before I was able to start the rebuild.

Patience......

Myself 01-19-2021 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I guess I'm more of a glass HALF FULL type of guy! I was at my last job for 18 years. Started working very hard, putting in lots of after hours side job work at home. Took me 5 years to build my shop....PAID FOR! Then I finally took the big leap, quit my job and came home to be self employed. That's been 2 years ago. In the meantime I have several projects that have been sitting, waiting. And I have also bought a few more!! I figure at least if I already have the old stuff snatched up, then at least I'll have something already paid for waiting for me when I finally get the time to work on it. I know I'm not getting any younger BUT these old vehicles are NOT getting any cheaper or easier to find either. Here is my latest one that my wife let me go get for my birthday. It will probably be a few years before I can start on it but that's OK.

1971Stepside 01-19-2021 12:20 PM

I took mine apart in 91-92 after owning it for 7 years. It sat in pieces until 2002ish when I finally started working on it due to time and money. I finished the frame and got all the rust cut out and replaced. It then sat again until 2019 due to kids, kids sports, etc. It is now nearly finished.

They are a pain to keep just sitting around if you don't have the place to put them, but if it is important you will find the time and money and get it done.

My son has a 99 Silverado that was his first car. He just upgraded to his second and really wants to keep his truck but has no place to store it. My guess is that it will end up in my driveway since I have a soft spot for this. Hopefully, he can restore it one day.

Old_Gold 01-19-2021 03:48 PM

I've sold several over the years, thinking I had to move on. I kept coming back for another. They don't bring much cash in when in project status, so I would try to find a way to hang on to it if possible.

Jim

67ChevyRedneck 01-19-2021 04:45 PM

I must not have hit reply earlier as the response I thought I wrote is gone :lol:

Anyway, I basically said if you're close to retirement, if you don't absolutely need the money (project truck values are always much lower than a complete ready to drive truck) I'd keep it. You need something to do when you retire or you'll lose your mind.

toolboxchev 01-20-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Gold (Post 8866677)
I've sold several over the years, thinking I had to move on. I kept coming back for another. They don't bring much cash in when in project status, so I would try to find a way to hang on to it if possible.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for that specific insight. Its not all torn apart so this is a plus.

1968k20 01-20-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myself (Post 8866542)
I guess I'm more of a glass HALF FULL type of guy! I was at my last job for 18 years. Started working very hard, putting in lots of after hours side job work at home. Took me 5 years to build my shop....PAID FOR! Then I finally took the big leap, quit my job and came home to be self employed. That's been 2 years ago. In the meantime I have several projects that have been sitting, waiting. And I have also bought a few more!! I figure at least if I already have the old stuff snatched up, then at least I'll have something already paid for waiting for me when I finally get the time to work on it. I know I'm not getting any younger BUT these old vehicles are NOT getting any cheaper or easier to find either. Here is my latest one that my wife let me go get for my birthday. It will probably be a few years before I can start on it but that's OK.

I agree with Myself! Lol Someone just gave me a 77 SWB 4x4. I am building that as my “retirement” transportation. I also just got a 59 and 60 Belaire for a retirement project.

custom10nut 01-20-2021 10:46 PM

I bought my truck in 1992, when my son was 6-weeks old.
Over the years I’ve had to put it in storage twice, while I was assigned to overseas duty (I was in the army for 30 years). It was tough, and there was a few times that I thought I was going to have to sell her, but I held on and made accommodations. She’s still not completed bu I’ll never let anyone else drive her, except my son, who grew up in, under, and around “The Truck”. He’s a mechanic in the Army now, and will get “The Truck” when the man upstairs decides it’s time.:smoke:

slikside 01-20-2021 11:26 PM

I agree with hanging on to it any way you can. You have so much into it, both time money and heart!

But if you find that it just won't be possible, try finding the cheapest running small block you can find, and put it there. A running truck is always gonna bring more than a "project".

Already Gone 01-21-2021 01:16 PM

I'd hang onto it and if you don't have the space to store it rent an used garage at a private home, where the only thing in it is your truck, or at one of those storage places. You said the truck drives so that makes storing it easier.

BRL 01-21-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolboxchev (Post 8866329)
...In many ways it has become a part of my life... How would you go about sorting out the end of life/retirement plans?

My opinion?

There is this thing called sentimental value that I'm sure you're aware of, and you ain't in a box yet so...

Seems 26 years of ownership qualifies my truck for being part of my life too.

I've regretted selling lots of things (mostly home customized guns) and I still think about them way too much years later.

Use all that work you're doing to get a crate motor or something and continue your fun.

...and don't stop dreaming either.

https://i.imgur.com/uIXoHwfm.jpg

bcfishon 01-22-2021 12:01 AM

Keep it and now that you have a business make it a company vehicle and write off the total build cost.

BRL 01-22-2021 12:30 AM

The man's a genius, hire him as your advisor. :smoke:

1971 GMC SHORTY 01-22-2021 01:31 AM

My 2cents If Money Not A Problem I’d Find a Reliable Shop Had Have Someone Finish What You Can

my67c20 01-22-2021 09:22 AM

Well profile does not provide a clue as to where you currently are located, so not sure if the new job is a town over or on the other side of the country. So based on that, i will provide my thoughts from a person that recently relocated from WI to AZ. #1, the space you have, is not going to be the same space you are getting. #2, the new area is going to take awhile (years) to get to know. #3, this may be an opportunity to reinvent yourself. #4, moving projects are not cheap. When we moved, it was a corporate move, so things happened quick and only certain stuff was being moved. I had to pay to move my projects. I thought the house i bought, with the 3 car attached garage, would afford me a space to work on my projects. I was wrong. The weather here only allows me a few month when i can enjoy my projects, but before i can i have to replace everything that cracked due to heat. PreCovid i had rented a shop near work, which allowed me convenience of popping over after work and getting a few things done, all the while leaving the mess someplace other than home. For the last year, I have been working from home, so popping over after work ain't happening. Long story short, if i could do it all over again, I would sell it all, before I moved and if I got the itch, I would buy something fairly complete. Your stuff, is only valuable to you and when you go, it goes.

toolboxchev 01-22-2021 11:07 AM

Haha! I love it, a new business write off! Biggest thing I need to do is get into a reality mindset.

Thank you for the replies, with so much going on right at the moment it is hard to move forward.